• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new MacBook - JK does not detect any webcams - yikes
I have a (literally) brand new MacBook Pro and JK "does not detect any webcams". I cranked up the photo booth app just to make sure the camera is working. All good there. The OS is Big Sur 11.1 (20C69). Any suggestions would be very welcome. I basically bought this Mac to jam with some friends. My other Mac didn't die but it's from 2009 and this was a good excuse to get a new one. However ... I really need to see those fretboards. 
MacBook Pro 13" / Chip Apple M1 / 8GB memory
We are going to need a few months to upgrade how our video works.

In the meantime, the only suggestion we can make is to reboot; I know, that's not a good answer, and it is not guaranteed to fix the issue.     We've seen video cameras not work, but after a reboot, start to function.  

But upgrading our video code is a major undertaking -- it's already underway.
Is it possible you're overlooking the obvious? Something I put together months ago, and hope it applies

Mac No Audio or Video. MacOS Security & Privacy settings. Good To Know.

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=1129
I did some add'l rummaging around and discovered that when I start a session and click <video> from that interface I get "your current plan doesn't allow video". This leaves two possibilities.1) JK doesn't ask for camera access if you're trying it out for free hence the "no video detected" message which would be much better (and comforting) if it said "sorry no video while you're trying it out for free" (cough, cough). or 2) JK actually doesn't detect a camera and if I subscribe I still might not be able to use video. So ... the question then is ... has anyone been able to use the video with the free version. I intend to subscribe but would feel better if I knew that the no video detected message really just means subscribe.  .... has anyone used the free version with video successfully? I did several months ago but at this moment ... well, I'll not repeat myself. I did spend a good bit of time mucking around with this. Am I missing a free trial? That'd be optimal as that would allow me to answer the question for myself.

(01-09-2021, 09:35 PM)Jamkazam Wrote: We are going to need a few months to upgrade how our video works.

In the meantime, the only suggestion we can make is to reboot; I know, that's not a good answer, and it is not guaranteed to worok. 

But upgrading our video code is a major undertaking -- it's already underway,

Oh ... just read this again. Yikes ... so if I'm understanding correctly, even if I subscribe I won't be able to use video for a few months. I work in IT and I get it. But to verify ... subscribe but no video for quite a while. Hmm... think, think, think. FYI reboot didn't fly.
(01-09-2021, 09:45 PM)GDJ Wrote: Is it possible you're overlooking the obvious? Something I put together months ago, and hope it applies

Mac No Audio or Video. MacOS Security & Privacy settings. Good To Know.

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=1129

That's a very good point GDJ; I know I've personally forgotten this setting.  Thanks for raising it back up.
(01-09-2021, 10:02 PM)plsullivan Wrote: I did some add'l rummaging around and discovered that when I start a session and click <video> from that interface I get "your current plan doesn't allow video". This leaves two possibilities.1) JK doesn't ask for camera access if you're trying it out for free hence the "no video detected" message which would be much better (and comforting) if it said "sorry no video while you're trying it out for free" (cough, cough). or 2) JK actually doesn't detect a camera and if I subscribe I still might not be able to use video. So ... the question then is ... has anyone been able to use the video with the free version. I intend to subscribe but would feel better if I knew that the no video detected message really just means subscribe.  .... has anyone used the free version with video successfully? I did several months ago but at this moment ... well, I'll not repeat myself. I did spend a good bit of time mucking around with this. Am I missing a free trial? That'd be optimal as that would allow me to answer the question for myself.

(01-09-2021, 09:35 PM)Jamkazam Wrote: We are going to need a few months to upgrade how our video works.

In the meantime, the only suggestion we can make is to reboot; I know, that's not a good answer, and it is not guaranteed to worok. 

But upgrading our video code is a major undertaking -- it's already underway,

Oh ... just read this again. Yikes ... so if I'm understanding correctly, even if I subscribe I won't be able to use video for a few months. I work in IT and I get it. But to verify ... subscribe but no video for quite a while. Hmm... think, think, think. FYI reboot didn't fly.

We understand this may be a deal killer for you, or at least for now. The suggestion that @GDJ gave is a good one though; please try that if not already!
I'm not part of JK support. I'm just a friendly (hopefully) volunteer moderator at times.

I get what you're saying. Perhaps the application can be improved with anticipated alerts and differently worded dialogs. I share many of the 'wouldn't it be nice' suggestions and recommendations.

My personal opinion is, given the biggest priorities have been with the infrastructure and revenue to keep things going, application bells and whistles are likely to be low priority and sometimes non intuitive. The reality is, the burden is on us user's to figure things out because there is no document or video for it.

With that said, I'm not suggesting we read and review every help document there is because I know for me, I want to get in a session and play!

Unaware how long you've been using JK, the switch to 'plans', is very recent and new as of Jan 2021. Many folks have used the video free, since April 2020 before the plan change. I have used it on occasion but personally don't have a need for it.

You should review the Free plan details and you will see it shows, no video. The gold plan has been a great fit for me.

If part of your greater point is, some limited Video should be available with Free to help with your decision, i recommend you email support about it. Perhaps. I agree, It would be nice to at least see if helps you make the appropriate plan choice.

https://jamkazam.freshdesk.com/support/s...m-features-
The OS is brand new: "We are going to need a few months to upgrade how our video works." JK doesn't get to the point where it asks for permission as that's a coding issue that they're addressing. Consequently the Privacy -> Camera setting doesn't list JK. Subscribing won't resolve the issue. I usually jam with my friends in person and it'd be great to see some faces (and fretboards) as I've been under house arrest since March. But ... they are working on it and that's good enough for me. Plus, It's a good chance for me to work on my tone-deaf issues. It's all good.
(01-09-2021, 11:25 PM)plsullivan Wrote: The OS is brand new: "We are going to need a few months to upgrade how our video works." JK doesn't get to the point where it asks for permission as that's a coding issue that they're addressing. Consequently the Privacy -> Camera setting doesn't list JK. Subscribing won't resolve the issue. I usually jam with my friends in person and it'd be great to see some faces (and fretboards) as I've been under house arrest since March. But ... they are working on it and that's good enough for me. Plus, It's a good chance for me to work on my tone-deaf issues. It's all good.

>>>
So, you're not on a paid plan that supports the use of video. I would imagine that would be your problem.

I can confirm that Big Sur (macOS 11.1) does support video in JamKazam (I'm on 'Gold')
Only difference with your situation is that I'm using an Intel based MBP.
(01-09-2021, 10:24 PM)GDJ Wrote: I'm not part of JK support. I'm just a friendly (hopefully) volunteer moderator at times.

I get what you're saying. Perhaps the application can be improved with anticipated alerts and differently worded dialogs. I share many of the 'wouldn't it be nice' suggestions and recommendations.

My personal opinion is, given the biggest priorities have been with the infrastructure and revenue to keep things going, application bells and whistles are likely to be low priority and sometimes non intuitive.  The reality is, the burden is on us user's to figure things out because there is no document or video for it.

With that said, I'm not suggesting we read and review every help document there is because I know for me, I want to get in a session and play!

Unaware how long you've been using JK, the switch to 'plans', is very recent and new as of Jan 2021. Many folks have used the video free, since April 2020 before the plan change. I have used it on occasion but personally don't have a need for it.

You should review the Free plan details and you will see it shows, no video. The gold plan has been a great fit for me.

If part of your greater point is, some limited Video should be available with Free to help with your decision, i recommend you email support about it. Perhaps. I agree, It would be nice to at least see if helps you make the appropriate plan choice.

https://jamkazam.freshdesk.com/support/s...m-features-
Or send directly to: support@Jamkazam.com