• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JK running on Apple's new M1 processor macs
Question 
Hi all!

Hope you all had a pleasant giving of thanks. 

Wondering if anyone has run JK yet on one of Apple's new M1 processor macs? Like the new MacBook Pro 13" 2020 or the new Mini 2020? 

And dearest JK developers, maybe you could weigh in here on the chances that current JK Intel based app will work via emulation in Rosetta 2 on M1 processor? And if a native M1 version is being planned or tested already?

Stay safe,
Dan
(11-30-2020, 11:43 PM)backinterrapin Wrote: Hi all!

Wondering if anyone has run JK yet on one of Apple's new M1 processor macs? Like the new MacBook Pro 13" 2020 or the new Mini 2020? 

And dearest JK developers, maybe you could weigh in here on the chances that current JK Intel based app will work via emulation in Rosetta 2 on M1 processor? And if a native M1 version is being planned or tested already?

Stay safe,
Dan
I have a new MBP with A1, and Jamkazam generally works. I suspect it's still an Intel binary but most of its a WebApp anyway. I opened the app, started a private session and was able to hear my Guitar in my headphones via my USB audio interface. I was not able to try a session with my friends yet, but it's better than I would have expected.
(12-04-2020, 02:05 PM)janwedel Wrote:

Stay safe,
Dan
I have a new MBP with A1, and Jamkazam generally works. I suspect it's still an Intel binary but most of its a WebApp anyway. I opened the app, started a private session and was able to hear my Guitar in my headphones via my USB audio interface. I was not able to try a session with my friends yet, but it's better than I would have expected.
That's great news -- thanks for letting us all know. Just to be clear, you say "Jamkazam generally works". Is there something that didn't work with M1 MBP that was working on Intel Mac?

What USB audio interface are you using? My band members and myself all have Focusrite Scarlett boxes. And sadly Focusrite says this about the M1 processor:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/a...0017407320
Hi,

as mentioned before, "generally works" means, that the app works but I didn't test the actual session with others. So I din't know there are issues with the network.

I'm using an old Alexis I/O 2, connected via USB2. Didn't need any drivers. But I'm planning to try my M-Audio Project Mix as well to get lower latency.
(12-05-2020, 10:31 PM)janwedel Wrote: Hi,

as mentioned before, "generally works" means, that the app works but I didn't test the actual session with others. So I din't know there are issues with the network.

I'm using an old Alexis I/O 2, connected via USB2. Didn't need any drivers. But I'm planning to try my M-Audio Project Mix as well to get lower latency.

a friend of mine has a new m1 maschine, he can not send sound, he can receive sound, but he can’t send, its the internal hardware minimal configuration, he is gold member. al other things include video connection works. but i can not hear anything from him.

hope there is soon a solution, but i like also to buy such a computer.

derek hauffen

Stay safe,
Dan

Quite a late reply but since I just got my M1 MacBook Pro, I want to give my feedback. I installed the app right away to see any improvement from my 2013 MBP. When I saw the warning about Rosetta, I already thought this might cause problems already. As soon as I plugged in my usual setup (iRig Pro Duo I/O, Roland TD-17KV and wired internet connection) and opened the app, it immediately showed an error that it cannot close the" audio subsystem", or something like that. The error has 2 options: close JK and re-open it, and keep trying. Clicking on keep trying just shows that error again, while clicking on the other option just crashes the app and doesn't re-open it.

I'll try using the browser version of JK and hopefully it will use the audio gear setup I created from my old MBP, then see what happens. Though I just hope the developers will create a full M1 version of this app, then I'll upgrade my member$p again (went back to free some months ago).
(05-06-2021, 09:32 PM)HelpMeIAmLost Wrote: Quite a late reply but since I just got my M1 MacBook Pro, I want to give my feedback. I installed the app right away to see any improvement from my 2013 MBP. When I saw the warning about Rosetta, I already thought this might cause problems already. As soon as I plugged in my usual setup (iRig Pro Duo I/O, Roland TD-17KV and wired internet connection) and opened the app, it immediately showed an error that it cannot close the" audio subsystem", or something like that. The error has 2 options: close JK and re-open it, and keep trying. Clicking on keep trying just shows that error again, while clicking on the other option just crashes the app and doesn't re-open it.

I'll try using the browser version of JK and hopefully it will use the audio gear setup I created from my old MBP, then see what happens. Though I just hope the developers will create a full M1 version of this app, then I'll upgrade my member$p again (went back to free some months ago).
 Try opening Garageband before starting the JK client. This worked for my Intel Mac running Big Sur 11.3

(02-07-2021, 08:50 PM)derhauff Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 10:31 PM)janwedel Wrote: Hi,

a friend of mine has a new m1 maschine, he can not send sound, he can receive sound, but he can’t send, its the internal hardware minimal configuration, he is gold member. al other things include video connection works. but i can not hear anything from him.

hope there is soon a solution, but i like also to buy such a computer.

derek hauffen
An external interface is mandatory for anyone wanting to participate in a session. If you only have the built-in audio system, the best you can do is listen to other players
(05-06-2021, 09:51 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Try opening Garageband before starting the JK client. This worked for my Intel Mac running Big Sur 11.3

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Right after I posted my reply, I saw many people on this forum having the same problem.  Big Grin Your solution worked but so far, I was only able to open the app. I’ll try setting up my audio gear tomorrow and see what happens.
(05-06-2021, 10:28 PM)HelpMeIAmLost Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 09:51 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Try opening Garageband before starting the JK client. This worked for my Intel Mac running Big Sur 11.3

I had this problem: crash on every launch with error about Audio System Stability.  

Opening Garageband and/or Logic didn't do the trick for me, but I got it to work by starting JK with my interface unplugged.  Plugging it in while JK was running, setting it up with specifically-selected 48kHz.  Exiting/restarting, test tone and test session worked.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Right after I posted my reply, I saw many people on this forum having the same problem.  Big Grin Your solution worked but so far, I was only able to open the app. I’ll try setting up my audio gear tomorrow and see what happens.

Well, I edited that reply poorly.

My post:

I had this problem: crash on every launch with error about Audio System Stability.  

Opening Garageband and/or Logic didn't do the trick for me, but I got it to work by starting JK with my interface unplugged.  Plugging it in while JK was running, setting it up with specifically-selected 48kHz.  Exiting/restarting, test tone and test session worked.
OK. So this is how i fixed it on my Mac Mini M1 with UAD Apollo Thunderbolt Quad on Bug Sur 11.6.

First make sure JamKazam is off. 

Go to System Preferences and Sound and set to built in speakers.

Go to Utilities folder and open Audio Midi Setup.

Set Output to 48K (no input to set on a Mac Mini, but other computers will change the input to 48K when you change the output anyway).

Open JamKazam. Should open as normal and not give the error anymore.

Wait for the home screen then turn on interface (Apollo, in my case).

Go to Audio Gear and click on Add New Gear.

Set up your new gear as needed. Done! Ran a 2 hour session after successful setup with no issues.

FYI, some people have suggested using Garageband to make the system work, but Garageband does not do 48K audio, so it didn't work for me. Logic does, but that still didn't do it for me. It wasn't until I quit everything and set the built in to 48K that JamKazam would open successfully.
Hope that helps and hope that the JK developers write some native Apple Silicon code soon!