• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac OSX Big Sur
My new Mac Mini (M1 chip) came with Big Sur installed.  Jamkazam seems to run just fine although I am a new user and use only the basic features of JK, i.e. no video, backing tracks, recordings etc.  I use the MOTU M2 interface.  With the previous Mac OS (Catalina), on a slightly older MacBook, using the MOTU Low Latency driver I had a local latency of 3.1 ms.  MOTU has not yet delivered the promised Low Latency driver for Big Sur, and local latency on the Mini is 8.3 ms.  I have communicated with MOTU Customer Support several times but no updates on when the LL driver will be available for Big Sur.  People have claimed lower latency by using JK with a DAW.  Performer Lite is included with the MOTU M2.  Is anybody using it or GarageBand with Jamkazam ??
(01-13-2021, 02:16 AM)graewin@mac.com Wrote: My new Mac Mini (M1 chip) came with Big Sur installed.  Jamkazam seems to run just fine although I am a new user and use only the basic features of JK, i.e. no video, backing tracks, recordings etc.  I use the MOTU M2 interface.  With the previous Mac OS (Catalina), on a slightly older MacBook, using the MOTU Low Latency driver I had a local latency of 3.1 ms.  MOTU has not yet delivered the promised Low Latency driver for Big Sur, and local latency on the Mini is 8.3 ms.  I have communicated with MOTU Customer Support several times but no updates on when the LL driver will be available for Big Sur.  People have claimed lower latency by using JK with a DAW.  Performer Lite is included with the MOTU M2.  Is anybody using it or GarageBand with Jamkazam ??
You will only get the lowest latency from that interface if your MAC has Thunderbolt 3 ports and you install the MOTU Mac driver.
(01-13-2021, 05:18 AM)StuartR Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 02:16 AM)graewin@mac.com Wrote: My new Mac Mini (M1 chip) came with Big Sur installed.  Jamkazam seems to run just fine although I am a new user and use only the basic features of JK, i.e. no video, backing tracks, recordings etc.  I use the MOTU M2 interface.  With the previous Mac OS (Catalina), on a slightly older MacBook, using the MOTU Low Latency driver I had a local latency of 3.1 ms.  MOTU has not yet delivered the promised Low Latency driver for Big Sur, and local latency on the Mini is 8.3 ms.  I have communicated with MOTU Customer Support several times but no updates on when the LL driver will be available for Big Sur.  People have claimed lower latency by using JK with a DAW.  Performer Lite is included with the MOTU M2.  Is anybody using it or GarageBand with Jamkazam ??
You will only get the lowest latency from that interface if your MAC has Thunderbolt 3 ports and you install the MOTU Mac driver.
I am using a Thunderbolt 3 port but, as I explained in my post, MOTU does not have a Mac low latency driver for the Big Sur OS.
(01-13-2021, 05:40 AM)graewin@mac.com Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 05:18 AM)StuartR Wrote:
I am using a Thunderbolt 3 port but, as I explained in my post, MOTU does not have a Mac low latency driver for the Big Sur OS.
I'm somewhat surprised that the existing driver won't work under the newer OS. Is it a driver signature issue or did Apple make significant changes to their driver infrastructure?
I have an IMac and just installed the new Big Sur update--Jamkazam seems to work fine, my account is set up and I was able to listen to my free jamtrack with headphones, but how do I get set up to join a sessions or play with my friends? Any helpful advice appreciated. thanks
(01-14-2021, 08:15 PM)debbie porter Wrote: I have an IMac and just installed the new Big Sur update--Jamkazam seems to work fine, my account is set up and I was able to listen to my free jamtrack with headphones, but how do I get set up to join a sessions or play with my friends?  Any helpful advice appreciated. thanks

>>>
Hi Debbie,

Have you configured your audio gear / audio interface / sound card (all the same thing)
any instrument(s) and or microphone?

Furthermore the user interface gives pretty good clues on how to start; 'create session' / 'find session' ... .
Don't be shy, just go for it. Not a lot you can do 'wrong' ones you're setup.
https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-big-sur/

"The M2 and M4 bus-powered USB audio interfaces are compatible with macOS Big Sur as USB audio class compliant devices, allowing plug-and-play operation with no driver installation needed. A driver will soon be available that provides lower latency performance, loopback channels and Core Audio volume control under macOS Big Sur. Please continue to check this web page for late-breaking information regarding the availability of this driver."

Yes, Big Sur is a big change. No audio hardware that I currently own will work with it.
(01-15-2021, 12:19 AM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-big-sur/

"The M2 and M4 bus-powered USB audio interfaces are compatible with macOS Big Sur as USB audio class compliant devices, allowing plug-and-play operation with no driver installation needed. A driver will soon be available that provides lower latency performance, loopback channels and Core Audio volume control under macOS Big Sur. Please continue to check this web page for late-breaking information regarding the availability of this driver."

Yes, Big Sur is a big change. No audio hardware that I currently own will work with it.
Thank you for this information. I am very sad, though. I just ordered and received a new M2 and my inability to get single-digit JK latency upon setup (despite "installing" the driver on my 2019 MacBook Pro on Big Sur) brought me to this thread. I guess I should have bought the Focusrite. I thought I was going to get better latency with the M2, but apparently I'm stuck until the Big Sur drivers are released (no update since 1/2/2021). It would have been nice if the driver install would have informed me that it was unsuccessful, rather than saying "Successfully Installed".

I suppose I can try my older (2015) MacBook Air, which I've stubbornly kept on Mojave. It's a pretty sluggish machine, though, so I hope that doesn't introduce other problems. Sigh.
You will have no problem running JamKazam under Mojave, and, as you stated, the dedicated M2 driver will work. You will need the TB2 to Ethernet adapter to get online so the M2 will have to run on a USB port, but you should still get good performance from it.

Using a MOTU Audio Express (older and slower than the M2) on my MB Air I get about 7ms of system latency.
bumping this thread because so many people are still reporting issues with Big Sur

If you plan to run Big Sur on your Mac, check with your interface vendor to verify that Big Sur drivers are available.

For some older interfaces that are "USB Class Compliant" connecting via USB 2, they may POSSIBLY work correctly under Big Sur. (example - MOTU Audio Express)

For newer models using Thunderbolt 2/3, or USB3 (AKA USB c) they will PROBABLY NOT work correctly. (example - MOTU 828es)

Problems using Big Sur and Jamkazam are probably NOT failures of the JK client or the interface itself. Most often such problems are COMPATIBILTY issues.