• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100% packet loss -- constantly have to reboot modem
I've noticed that since about the December timeframe, that I have been seeing 100% packet loss from some members of my band.  Initially, I had thought these were issues at the other end, however recently I have found that rebooting my Cable Modem/Router appears to clear the issue.

Are there any particular reasons that require these reboots?  I had never experienced network issues prior to December and in fact recently I have had to make several changes to my settings to be able to participate in sessions.

My PC is directly ethernet connected to my cable modem, bypassing my network switch and firewall, and gets it's internal address directly from that box.  I found that bypassing the firewall cut the network latency down quite a bit.

Initially, sessions will start off well, but within about 20-30 mins I start to see 100% packet loss from some users (others are just fine).  I have tried to resync, leaving and re-joining a session but none of those options work.  The only thing that seems to work is a reboot of the modem.

Given that my bandmates are all within 5-10kms (Western Canada) are we all better off selecting Peer to Peer, Mesh Network or Lowest Latency?  I believe the closest JK servers are based in Seattle and I would guess that will increase latency...

We are experiencing similar problems here in Ontario. 100% packet loss and latency occurring 15 to 20 minutes into the sessions. This all started in January when we signed up and has become progressively worse. 6 members, 2 Gold, 4 Silver, all using the default (recommended 'blue' settings) All members are all in/around Toronto in close proximity to the AWS server, Hosts are Gold members on Bell Fibe. Last night Feb 10th at 7pm, it took upwards of 20 mins for some of us to join a session, then the packet loss and latency was so bad we had to stop.
I ask the same question. What is the preferred setting? Peer to Peer, Mesh Network or Lowest Latency
Or Are the servers overloaded?
(02-11-2021, 06:08 PM)dasp61 Wrote: We are experiencing similar problems here in Ontario.  100% packet loss and latency occurring 15 to 20 minutes into the sessions. This all started in January when we signed up and has become progressively worse.  6 members, 2 Gold, 4 Silver, all using the default (recommended 'blue' settings)  All members are all in/around Toronto in close proximity to the AWS server,  Hosts are Gold members on Bell Fibe.  Last night Feb 10th at 7pm, it took upwards of 20 mins for some of us to join a session, then the packet loss and latency was so bad we had to stop. 
I ask the same question.  What is the preferred setting?  Peer to Peer, Mesh Network or Lowest Latency
Or Are the servers overloaded?

>>>
Try p2p - all members (I believe that's the only thing you can actually 'choose' - the rest is greyed-out)
If you decide to go with 'ARS' - fine, but try to all have the same prefs.
There's no such thing as a 'host'. No matter who starts a session.

Furthermore all the 'regular and standard' prereqs still apply.
Just stating the obvious and gather you all have this covered.

PC's (laptops/macbooks) on mains
Wired network
WiFi switched OFF
No IPv6 (unless all of you have/use it)
Tune your OS for audio production
No other programs/apps running (nor in the background)
Use an external sound card/audio interface
No or minimal 'other' use on your LAN/WAN connection

NB - not quit sure what you mean with (recommended 'blue' settings)? & 'AWS server'?
This is a very helpful 'getting started' checklist. I will share with the group.
Recommended=Settings highlighted in Blue

Thanks
D
the helpdesk documents use blue highlighting - perhaps that's the "blue".

A lot of folks think this is a server-based service, and Amazon Web Services is a big name in that game.

FWIW - if you are OUT of your session - choose "default settings" for your network preference. The default is "prefer lowest latency". As Dimitri stated, you actually cannot choose ARS (audio relay server). For me "prefer lowest latency" sets up peer to peer (P2P) session.

You can select P2P instead, but * I think* you would not be able to use ARS in that case. If you use default settings, then in the event that ARS actually IS the lowest latency path, then your session should use it.

For anyone who has a Gold plan - submit a trouble ticket. Tech support is part of your service - you're paying for it! I have used the helpdesk 3 times thus far, and got 2 resolutions each w/in 2 days.
Thanks, I'll submit a ticket to support next time.
(02-09-2021, 07:50 PM)TenMile Wrote: I've noticed that since about the December timeframe, that I have been seeing 100% packet loss from some members of my band.  Initially, I had thought these were issues at the other end, however recently I have found that rebooting my Cable Modem/Router appears to clear the issue.

Are there any particular reasons that require these reboots?  I had never experienced network issues prior to December and in fact recently I have had to make several changes to my settings to be able to participate in sessions.

My PC is directly ethernet connected to my cable modem, bypassing my network switch and firewall, and gets it's internal address directly from that box.  I found that bypassing the firewall cut the network latency down quite a bit.

Initially, sessions will start off well, but within about 20-30 mins I start to see 100% packet loss from some users (others are just fine).  I have tried to resync, leaving and re-joining a session but none of those options work.  The only thing that seems to work is a reboot of the modem.

Given that my bandmates are all within 5-10kms (Western Canada) are we all better off selecting Peer to Peer, Mesh Network or Lowest Latency?  I believe the closest JK servers are based in Seattle and I would guess that will increase latency...

Since you're fixing the problem by restarting your local modem/router I'd spend some more time looking there. Is anyone else using that router for streaming or online gaming during your JK sessions? Have you run a buffer bloat test to see how your router performs when under load (i.e can it deliver your real-time audio packets on-time)?
(02-19-2021, 01:51 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 07:50 PM)TenMile Wrote: I've noticed that since about the December timeframe, that I have been seeing 100% packet loss from some members of my band.  Initially, I had thought these were issues at the other end, however recently I have found that rebooting my Cable Modem/Router appears to clear the issue.

So far, it appears that Manually opening ports 12000 to 12010 has fixed the problem.  I was relying on UPNP which did appear to open some ports on the cable modem, but since I've manually opened the ports I've not had to reboot the modem since.