• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Audio Configuration Setup Report
With the latest version of JK I get a message that the audio setup is not configured for best latency.  The report gave me some recommendations for my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio (3rd Gen.) which I have been able to implement, but one is stumping me: "Average Audio Latency: Audio input/out latency is 7.45833 ms. Tuning or changing your audio device could reduce latency to less than 5 ms."  I have the latest driver (Focusrite Control 3.6.0), the framesize is 2 ms and the maximum network packet rate is 400 Pkt/s. 

I see that this latency is considered "Average" as opposed to Excellent or Poor.  Is this just JK's way of advising me that I have a low end audio adapter (which is otherwise working adequately for my needs) or is there a problem here that should be addressed?
(01-06-2021, 07:34 PM)ellis@hillinger.org Wrote: With the latest version of JK I get a message that the audio setup is not configured for best latency.  The report gave me some recommendations for my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio (3rd Gen.) which I have been able to implement, but one is stumping me: "Average Audio Latency: Audio input/out latency is 7.45833 ms. Tuning or changing your audio device could reduce latency to less than 5 ms."  I have the latest driver (Focusrite Control 3.6.0), the framesize is 2 ms and the maximum network packet rate is 400 Pkt/s. 

I see that this latency is considered "Average" as opposed to Excellent or Poor.  Is this just JK's way of advising me that I have a low end audio adapter (which is otherwise working adequately for my needs) or is there a problem here that should be addressed?
You should be able to get latency down to 3 msecs or so with some audio interfaces, but apparently not the one you have. We had one of these and finally gave up and moved to a MOTU interface with well-written drivers for both MAC and PC.
(01-06-2021, 07:34 PM)ellis@hillinger.org Wrote: With the latest version of JK I get a message that the audio setup is not configured for best latency.  The report gave me some recommendations for my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Studio (3rd Gen.) which I have been able to implement, but one is stumping me: "Average Audio Latency: Audio input/out latency is 7.45833 ms. Tuning or changing your audio device could reduce latency to less than 5 ms."  I have the latest driver (Focusrite Control 3.6.0), the framesize is 2 ms and the maximum network packet rate is 400 Pkt/s. 

Latency can be improved by increasing your sample rate to 96000 (especially with Focusrite interfaces), reducing your buffer size to 16 or as low as possible, and setting your frame size to 1 if you can do it without causing problems.
(01-06-2021, 09:56 PM)Terles Wrote:

Latency can be improved by increasing your sample rate to 96000 (especially with Focusrite interfaces), reducing your buffer size to 16 or as low as possible, and setting your frame size to 1 if you can do it without causing problems.
Thanks for the suggestion.  If I change these settings through the ASIO Panel, it immediate resets the buffer size back from 16 (or 32) to 192 when I start a session, and also displays a warning that the device is unstable.  The change only resulted in the latency dropping to 7.5 ms.  Is there a different place in the interface where I should be making these changes?
(01-06-2021, 10:09 PM)ellis@hillinger.org Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 09:56 PM)Terles Wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  If I change these settings through the ASIO Panel, it immediate resets the buffer size back from 16 (or 32) to 192 when I start a session, and also displays a warning that the device is unstable.  The change only resulted in the latency dropping to 7.5 ms.  Is there a different place in the interface where I should be making these changes?
I've seen this exact problem with one of our band members who has one of those same devices. I'm guessing you're stuck with that in at least until the vendor updates their driver.
I've located a solution to this problem. Go to Manage / Network Settings / Packet Rate Configuration. (Confusingly, the window that comes up is titled Audio Booster+.) I lowered the Audio FrameSize to 1 ms (from 2.5 ms) on my system and that dropped the audio latency on my system to 4.5 ms from 7.5 ms.
(01-30-2021, 10:06 PM)ellis@hillinger.org Wrote: I've located a solution to this problem.  Go to Manage / Network Settings / Packet Rate Configuration.  (Confusingly, the window that comes up is titled Audio Booster+.)  I lowered the Audio FrameSize to 1 ms (from 2.5 ms) on my system and that dropped the audio latency on my system to 4.5 ms from 7.5 ms.

>>>
That is 'common knowledge' Ellis. Glad it works for you too. Happy jammin'
Everyone here is spot on what you need to do, but i will add that even if you can push a frame rate of 2 or 1ms, you can still suffer poor audio latency, IF, you have high CPU usages going on in your OS.