• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you run a quick test, turn on local monitoring?
Can someone run a test?  Turn on local monitoring on your interface and see in a session if the personal mix sliders actually work FOR YOU.  I think my interface is setup to have local monitoring always on, so personal mix doesn't  work for me, on my sources.  I have to adjust what I hear in my headphones, of my sources, by adjusting controls on my interface ( it's a combo interface/mixer)  Personal mix does work to control what I hear of others.
Private session is probably good enough
Using Line 6 Helix or Roland Session Mixer as audio interface
It seems even though you have multiple postings about sound, input, mixing, and now this one; suggests some ongoing struggle to get things working? I had mentioned in another post you started, about my own setup and that I use a MOTU Interface. Now, for what you are asking in this post.

This is a good question! My MOTU also does not have a Direct Monitoring knob or button, as we have seen in videos or other interfaces. So, how do we know if what we are hearing from the Audio Interface Jack is via direct monitoring, or the signal is only coming through the JK app back to the interface? We want to be assured it's the latter to confirm, sound is going in, and coming out of JK, only!

If your audio interface comes with a GUI software app to allow you to control your interface settings; track/channel/input volume, pan settings, etc. MUTE, all the channel strips. This is equivalent to turning off direct monitoring. At this point, any audio passed to the headphone out, form the interface is Muted, but it will still route the signal coming from JK. This is because at this stage it's handled only by the audio device driver for your interface, which is same one you selected when setting up your audio device settings in JK.

Do keep in mind, if you use your interface for other apps like DAWs, you may need to re enable the muted tracks. But for JK purposes, you want them muted.
(01-09-2021, 09:59 PM)GDJ Wrote: It seems even though you have multiple postings about sound, input, mixing, and now this one; suggests some ongoing struggle to get things working? I had mentioned in another post you started, about my own setup and that I use a MOTU Interface. Now, for what you are asking in this post.

This is a good question! My MOTU also does not have a Direct Monitoring knob or button, as we have seen in videos or other interfaces. So, how do we know if what we are hearing from the Audio Interface Jack is via direct monitoring, or the signal is only coming through the JK app back to the interface?  We want to be assured it's the latter to confirm, sound is going in, and coming out of JK, only!

If your audio interface comes with a GUI software app to allow you to control your interface settings; track/channel/input volume, pan settings, etc. MUTE, all the channel strips. This is equivalent to turning off direct monitoring. At this point, any audio passed to the headphone out, form the interface is Muted, but it will still route the signal coming from JK. This is because at this stage it's handled only by the audio device driver for your interface, which is same one you selected when setting up your audio device settings in JK.

Do keep in mind, if you use your interface for other apps like DAWs, you may need to re enable  the muted tracks. But for JK purposes, you want them muted.

Sorry about the multiple postings.  I'm beginning to think the Mackie Profx6 might be right for me.  It has a "Blend" knob instead of the local monitoring switch, blending between local inputs and USB 1/2.  People are reporting good latency into JK with these.  Sometimes devices that aren't entirely devoted to being an audio interface suffer in the ASIO driver department, like my Line 6 Helix.
Although I don't need the onboard Mackie effects for guitar, the vocal effects would allow me to sell my  TC-Helicon VoiceTone Harmony-G XT Guitar and Vocal Effects Pedal      Might be able to sell the Roland HS-5 session mixer also.
(01-09-2021, 09:59 PM)GDJ Wrote: It seems even though you have multiple postings about sound, input, mixing, and now this one; suggests some ongoing struggle to get things working? I had mentioned in another post you started, about my own setup and that I use a MOTU Interface. Now, for what you are asking in this post.

This is a good question! My MOTU also does not have a Direct Monitoring knob or button, as we have seen in videos or other interfaces. So, how do we know if what we are hearing from the Audio Interface Jack is via direct monitoring, or the signal is only coming through the JK app back to the interface?  We want to be assured it's the latter to confirm, sound is going in, and coming out of JK, only!

Do keep in mind, if you use your interface for other apps like DAWs, you may need to re enable  the muted tracks. But for JK purposes, you want them muted.

>>>
Fairly basic test would be following the standard rule of general use. When configured correctly you'll only hear your own signal when in a session of any kind. Meaning you're then listening to your DAW/USB/return signal. (setting up a session will 'complete/close the loop')

If you can hear your own signal when NOT in a session, you're listening to local-/direct-monitoring.
(01-10-2021, 12:16 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:

>>>
Fairly basic test would be following the standard rule of general use. When configured correctly you'll only hear your own signal when in a session of any kind. Meaning you're then listening to your DAW/USB/return signal. (setting up a session will 'complete/close the loop')

If you can hear your own signal when NOT in a session, you're listening to local-/direct-monitoring.

Thanks.  I'm pretty well convinced now that my current interface will not do anything other than local/direct monitoring. It was designed as a band headphone amp system and even though I'm getting 5.7ms local latency, I'm sure it's AI functionality was not the main design goal.
(01-10-2021, 01:08 AM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 12:16 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:

>>>

Thanks.  I'm pretty well convinced now that my current interface will not do anything other than local/direct monitoring. It was designed as a band headphone amp system and even though I'm getting 5.7ms local latency, I'm sure it's AI functionality was not the main design goal.
Sounds reasonable to me.
What would you expect the effect to be of running with local monitoring turned on. Others in your session would sound like they're behind you, I'd presume, since you're getting the direct signal from instrument/mic into your headphones without even going through jamkazam or your computer.
I confirmed today that turning off the local "faders" on my device does not enable my personal mix sliders.
So leaning towards a Mackie ProFx 6 channel, or something very similar.
(01-10-2021, 03:16 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: What would you expect the effect to be of running with local monitoring turned on.  Others in your session would sound like they're behind you, I'd presume, since you're getting the direct signal from instrument/mic into your headphones without even going through jamkazam or your computer.
I confirmed today that turning off the local "faders" on my device does not enable my personal mix sliders.
I think you've answered your own question. The whole objective of playing with others through the Internet is to keep the latency as close to being in the same space as practical.
(01-10-2021, 03:17 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 03:16 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: What would you expect the effect to be of running with local monitoring turned on.  Others in your session would sound like they're behind you, I'd presume, since you're getting the direct signal from instrument/mic into your headphones without even going through jamkazam or your computer.
I think you've answered your own question. The whole objective of playing with others through the Internet is to keep the latency as close to being in the same space as practical.

Yes and this probably explains why it seems our main vocalist appears, to me anyway, to sing behind the beat consistently.
As to the Mackie option, the big spreadsheet in these forums shows it at 13ms latency ---- I realize this varies highly by environment, but that's twice what I'm showing with my current device.
(01-10-2021, 03:51 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 03:17 PM)StuartR Wrote:

Yes and this probably explains why it seems our main vocalist appears, to me anyway, to sing behind the beat consistently.
As to the Mackie option, the big spreadsheet in these forums shows it at 13ms latency ---- I realize this varies highly by environment, but that's twice what I'm showing with my current device.
Not sure you told us what platform you were running on but on a Mac with Thunderbolt 3 ports or a PC I'd recommend a MOTU M series. Latency around 3 msecs.