• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The mixer has gone off of the rails
For the last several JK revisions, the mix has become progressively less functional. Today, the “personal mix” controls appear to be absolutely general instead of independent. That pretty much voids the point in having a mixer at all if it ends up being one mixer (with no aux sends) for everyone. Worse, when that one mixer is still sending oddly independent signals to everyone it is really a free-for-all.

That is particularly true when one of us (in our group of 4) loads an “Audio File” (typically a percussion track) for us to keep time with. That audio file is linked to the personal mix fader of the individual who opened the audio file so that changing either the volume of the audio file or that person’s personal mix channel will change the volume for everyone. That means if the bass player is running the audio file, you can’t have more bass without getting more drums and vise versa. Worse, if I want more drums, everyone gets more drums, regardless of who opened the file. That is unworkable.
T.W. Day
Minnesota, USA
(12-23-2020, 11:45 PM)TWDay72 Wrote: For the last several JK revisions, the mix has become progressively less functional. Today, the “personal mix” controls appear to be absolutely general instead of independent. That pretty much voids the point in having a mixer at all if it ends up being one mixer (with no aux sends) for everyone. Worse, when that one mixer is still sending oddly independent signals to everyone it is really a free-for-all.

That is particularly true when one of us (in our group of 4) loads an “Audio File” (typically a percussion track) for us to keep time with. That audio file is linked to the personal mix fader of the individual who opened the audio file so that changing either the volume of the audio file or that person’s personal mix channel will change the volume for everyone. That means if the bass player is running the audio file, you can’t have more bass without getting more drums and vise versa. Worse, if I want more drums, everyone gets more drums, regardless of who opened the file. That is unworkable.
I agree, the audio file should be attached to and controlled by an independent mix control. Please surface this issue to: support@Jamkazam.com
Right or wrong, this has always been the case for audio files loaded, at least since I've been using it starting in early 2020. The person loading the audio file sets the volume and leaves it there. You should set this level and ask everyone if it's too loud / soft or if it's clipping, and adjust accordingly. Once set, the static volume of the audio file is the absolute level that every session member individually mixes everything else to. This works for us, although we have not had a session in the last 2 weeks because of the holidays.
Sad 
My first posting here and a sad  Sad face to start with...

The personal mix (two separate channels set up on both sides) shows the two home channels, but only one channel from the other side.

What's wrong?  Huh
(01-05-2021, 10:16 AM)B.J. van Hoek Wrote: My first posting here and a sad  Sad face to start with...

The personal mix (two separate channels set up on both sides) shows the two home channels, but only one channel from the other side.

What's wrong?  Huh

>>>
Welcome! and don't be sad ... .

"Wrong"? - Absolutely nothing in this example. That's how JKz 'works'. Your local channels/tracks get merged into one 'stereo' signal in a 'session' window.

All peers have to make a 'workable' local pre-mix of their own channels/tracks. In turn one can only adjust a peer's volume in total.
Thumbs Up 
(01-05-2021, 11:22 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 10:16 AM)B.J. van Hoek Wrote: My first posting here and a sad  Sad face to start with...

What's wrong?  Huh

>>>
Welcome! and don't be sad ... .

"Wrong"? - Absolutely nothing in this example. That's how JKz 'works'. Your local channels/tracks get merged into one 'stereo' signal in a 'session' window.

All peers have to make a 'workable' local pre-mix of their own channels/tracks. In turn one can only adjust a peer's volume in total.
Thank you for your swift response! Wink
Makes me wonder, must be really early morning in the USA. Are you from Europe? I am, anyway. The Netherlands to be more precise...

I completely missed that  Blush while setting up an intuitively, I expected seeing the two channels. Confused

Now up to the next challenge, limiting the total latency, as playing Bluegrass/New Acoustic is a big no no  with ~20 msec total latency.
I wouldn't want to be limited to English Waltzes forever.... Big Grin
Thumbs Up 
Little by little we managed ironing out all those ripples, so we're having a ball now, here in the Netherlands.

Meanwhile, latency is small enough to allow our Bluegrass to be played, between the NE and the middle of the country.

Our 4 piece band ( 2 couples, one on each side of the connection) is playing together rather effortless.
Since Bluegrass is not played with a central timegenerator (guitar, mandolin, 5 string banjo & double bass only), keeping the rhythm tight is much more of a challenge.

When we were plagued by sufficient latency, anything we started slowed down to a growl in no time.  Confused Big Grin
Nowadays I can even kick off a ripping banjo instrumental and it all stays together, ending at the same bpm as where we'd started.

Another treat is being able to sing tight, three part, harmonies  Angel as if we were in the same room.

We haven't performed since Feb 2020, so this is a big treat.

In short, Jamkazam works! Heart