• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimum gear
Looking for advice ...
What is a 'better' audio interface to acquire for hook up to I-Mac?
Presently own Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen).

Also, are there any other 'links' that should/could/would improve the overall connectivity?
Again, using I-Mac 27".

Appreciate any/all input.
2i2 has what it takes.

If you need two inputs and nothing else, then you're good to go.

The latency is likely to be around 7 ms, or less (I used 2i2 in JamKazam some months ago).

That's alright

These are numbers from Windows. Maybe it is better in Mac.

"improve the overall connectivity?"

Then it is also about router etc.

But here you can read about latency, mostly total latency
> https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.ph...%2C+mostly

Search for - router - test network - connectivity - latency and so
>>>
Hi, start here for info on a lot of Audio Gear:

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=196

D./

NB - MAC usually has a little more latency on most interfaces/cards vs Windows. This is due to CoreAudio on MAC vs dedicated ASIO drivers for specific eqpt on Windows machines.
Thanks for your NB, Dimitri

Really good to know - I thought it maybe was the other way around.
The ASIO drivers are more specialized and dedicated to a particular interface.

While CoreAudio is more a general/universal driver.

And therefore some interfaces come with a specialized, dedicated driver for Mac.

I hope I am right. Hm!
Appreciate all the replies. Now use Presonus FireStudio Project & Presonus FirePod for A/I. 8 channels are better than 2 when connecting my gear . LOL
(05-03-2020, 01:47 AM)c4jake@gmail.com Wrote: Looking for advice ...

Also, are there any other 'links' that should/could/would improve the overall connectivity?
Again, using I-Mac 27".

If your MAC has any Thunderbolt 3 ports you should find an interface that has a custom MAC driver for it. One such example is the MOTU M-series. Without their driver you can expect about 8 msecs of latency with the default Core Audio driver but using their own MAC driver you can expect ~3.x msecs of latency.
(12-26-2020, 12:24 AM)StuartR Wrote:

Again, using I-Mac 27".

If your MAC has any Thunderbolt 3 ports you should find an interface that has a custom MAC driver for it. One such example is the MOTU M-series. Without their driver you can expect about 8 msecs of latency with the default Core Audio driver but using their own MAC driver you can expect ~3.x msecs of latency.

hi, I’ve installed the Moto driver on my Mac but apart from authorizing it in the System Preferences I didn’t see anything else. In JK when I hover over my door in the personal mix it says it is using Core Audio. Would this already be modified by the driver or do I need to change any other settings?  Thx
(01-15-2021, 08:13 AM)Cobbyco Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 12:24 AM)StuartR Wrote:

Again, using I-Mac 27".

hi, I’ve installed the Moto driver on my Mac but apart from authorizing it in the System Preferences I didn’t see anything else. In JK when I hover over my door in the personal mix it says it is using Core Audio. Would this already be modified by the driver or do I need to change any other settings?  Thx

>>>
Did you check your 'audio gear' setup?
Did installing the driver package add a 'new' option in your gear selection? (e.g said driver)

Did you notice any difference in your local latency?

!!NB!! - ah, hang on, did you install a MOTU driver package expecting it to work with a Focusrite(2i2) audio interface??
(01-15-2021, 08:13 AM)Cobbyco Wrote: hi, I’ve installed the Moto driver on my Mac but apart from authorizing it in the System Preferences I didn’t see anything else. In JK when I hover over my door in the personal mix it says it is using Core Audio. Would this already be modified by the driver or do I need to change any other settings?  Thx

"Core Audio" is what you should see listed for the "Gear Driver"

what MOTU interface are you using?