• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to set default Buffer size with Scarlett 2i2
There are times when I'm starting up a session when my latency is too high, so I have a red dot.  And the Scarlett 2i2 (3rd Gen) Device Settings pop up window will default to Buffer Size of *880*.  I don't know how this is happening, as I change it back down to 64, hit Resync, and it will go back to *880*.

It seems to be better if I have my Ableton DAW open.  Should I open my DAW before I start JamKazam?

How do I get the Buffer size to stick?  Can I set a default of 64 somehow, as it seems to do what it wants before it calms down?

Thanks.
Hello. You are probably doing this already, but if the device is working but I want to reduce latency, I open up a solo session. On the left side of the gray bar along the top is a button labeled "Manage". Click on "Manage and  select "Audio Settings".From there, select "Open ASIO Panel". From there you should select your Sample Rate and Buffer Size.  Click on "x" to close out of the box.
    Another thing I like to do that has helped me is to Click on "Manage" then "Audio Settings". From there, select "Audio Booster". A lot of the teachers I have worked with find setting the "Maximum Outgoing Music Bitrate to 128K and below that setting the Audio FrameSize to "2ms- experimental"
      I hope you find some of this helpful.
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park
I've set all of these things, but what I find is that my Buffer Size defaults to something unusually high.  I keep resetting it to 64.  When I hit Resync, today is goes to *176* (yes, with the * before and after).  I switched computers and there is a similar issue, except now it says *240*.  I've attached a screenshot.

Any idea why it just won't stay with what I have chosen?  Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-25-2020, 10:08 PM)cgzello Wrote: I've set all of these things, but what I find is that my Buffer Size defaults to something unusually high.  I keep resetting it to 64.  When I hit Resync, today is goes to *176* (yes, with the * before and after).  I switched computers and there is a similar issue, except now it says *240*.  I've attached a screenshot.

Any idea why it just won't stay with what I have chosen?  Thanks.
Go with 96000/32 in the Focusrite setting.  That combo should 'stick'.
I Have the same on my Solo. It seems JK is setting it and will override any change I make. Best way I’ve found is go for 96000 and that will set to *220*. And I get an amber latency of 11.5. Once you save the device go to Audio boost and set the time to either 2 or 1 ms experimental, my latency then drops to 3.9ms
I noticed when I deleted my 2i2 and started over - there are TWO profiles to choose: ASIO Focusrite & Scarlett 2i2
When I finally chose the ASIO profile, after going through the rest of the settings

I'm not Yellow

BUT
At times I keep getting popups that I can't read in time about **connection**

Yet I does appear to be better.

It's rather confusing
I have the exact same issue, EXCEPT it ALWAYS defaults to *880* or higher. 

I'm not using a DAW at all. I primarily bought my Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) so I could do JK. It's been almost a year that I've been trying periodically. I've never gotten green lights across the board. I have a JK profile set up, but I can't do anything with it.
(11-26-2020, 05:31 AM)rjgraphicdesign@juno.com Wrote: I have the exact same issue, EXCEPT it ALWAYS defaults to *880* or higher. 

I'm not using a DAW at all. I primarily bought my Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen) so I could do JK. It's been almost a year that I've been trying periodically. I've never gotten green lights across the board. I have a JK profile set up, but I can't do anything with it.

I've been experimenting with this recently (Focusrite Scarlett Solo, 4i4, 18i8), and I've been able to get a device latency of 2.9 ms in JK for all 3 of them on different Windows 10 computers and laptops.

The trick I've come up with by a lot of trial and error is to use a DAW to "lock in" the device settings (Sample Rate of 96000 and Buffer Size of 16) before going into JK. If you add your device in JK with these settings locked, you're in green first try. If your device is already in JK, then just resync and you're green.

I've only been able to get this to work with the Ableton Lite DAW. Sometimes Ableton won't stick the buffer at 16 so I need to use the Reaper DAW to lock it for Ableton, then Ableton will keep it locked for JK (Reaper won't lock it for JK).

The following steps work every time for me to have a latency of 2.9 ms in JK:

1. Open Reaper
2. Open Ableton Lite
3. Close Reaper
4. Open JK

Ableton needs to be open when you go into JK or else you'll end up with the scenario in the original post where your buffer size gets changed to *nnn*.

Hope this helps...I've seen it work for others with their Focusrite Scarlett (3rd Gen).
Thanks!
(12-01-2020, 03:19 AM)cgzello Wrote: Thanks!

No problem!