• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I Mute?
Right, I just verified it myself. Mute stops your send as well as your monitor, but the volume fader affects only your monitor. The text does say "this slider", so that text doesn't apply to the mute box.
(07-31-2020, 07:57 PM)paulfbass Wrote: Hi Ray. I just joined a JK Open session and did as you suggested. There were two guys there just talking, so I connected my mic to my Focusrite, muted it from my end and asked the guys if they could hear me. They didn't respond, so I assume they could not. I turned on "Direct Monitor" and could hear myself. This is exactly what I was trying to do, so again, thanks  -Paul

Yep. I tested it myself last night in a session. Muting will kill the audio input into the session, not just the personal mix. Glad it worked out for you.

Ray
A click on the speaker icon in the relevant track is sufficient to mute the sound from that track.

Repeat from earlier in this thread:

"I've tested it.

When I mute my own track(s), no one in the session can hear my sound
I can still hear my own sound"

And I have tested it again today - it is still working
(08-01-2020, 04:25 PM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: A click on the speaker icon in the relevant track is sufficient to mute the sound from that track.

Correct, but that doesn't address the OP's question, which was how to keep others from hearing him yet allowing him to hear himself.

The answer to that is:
  • Muting yourself takes your channel out of everyone's mix
  • Use your audio interface's "direct monitoring" feature to hear yourself.
This works for audio channels, but not for MIDI channels (because if you mute your own MIDI track, it mutes it for you and everyone, and your audio interface's direct monitoring feature can't help in this case.)
My conclusion:

There are two ways to achieve that participants in a session cannot hear one's own sound. - while one can hear one's own sound.

1: Use "Direct Monitoring" on the audio interface
2: Use the mute function in JamKazam's interface

Both methods serve the purpose
I forgot a case.

My audio interface has a balance control, Input / Playback Mix control.
Such control may be required for the mute function to work as intended here.
You need to do BOTH of those things, not one or the other.

Muting yourself stops your send AND it stops you from hearing yourself (unless you can hear your instrument through the air, which is not the case here.)
Enabling direct monitoring (including doing it using a balance control) makes it so that you can hear yourself.
(08-03-2020, 01:13 PM)JeffLearman Wrote: You need to do BOTH of those things, not one or the other.

Muting yourself stops your send AND it stops you from hearing yourself (unless you can hear your instrument through the air, which is not the case here.)
Enabling direct monitoring (including doing it using a balance control) makes it so that you can hear yourself.

Yes.
(08-03-2020, 01:34 PM)paulfbass Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 01:13 PM)JeffLearman Wrote: You need to do BOTH of those things, not one or the other.

Yes.
I only need to mute by clicking on the speaker icon in the JamKazam interface. Then only I can hear that track.

Nothing else is required. The MONITOR A/B switch stays the same (DIRECT MONITORING OFF). And the MIX control stays in the middle position (as always). As in the attached image

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-03-2020, 02:22 PM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: I only need to mute by clicking on the speaker icon in the JamKazam interface. Then only I can hear that track.

Nothing else is required. The MONITOR A/B switch stays the same (DIRECT MONITORING OFF). And the MIX control stays in the middle position (as always). As in the attached image

What you're saying is true but you're missing the point that you're already using direct monitoring (with your MIX control staying in the middle.)

JK instructions tell us to turn off direct monitoring (i.e., set MIX to "all computer".)  Furthermore, many of us don't have a MIX knob, we have a monitoring on/off button (50% mix or all-computer, respectively.)  For those of us following JK instructions and turning off direct monitoring, muting the channel in the JK app makes it stop being sent to the audio interface, so we can no longer hear ourselves.

If you set your mix control to "all computer" you'll understand what we're talking about.