• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Static while using a Macbook with a focusrite interface
Hello all. I am having problem with a teacher who is having latency and static issues while using a focusrite interface with a condensor microphone with his Macbook. While in have session, I have him go to Manage/Audio Settings/ Audio Booster, where I adjust his bitrate and audio frame size. I have him at 128K and 2ms, but when I have him go up or sown on those settings the static remains. He tells me he is also getting a message about "his sample rate not matching". Is this the source of the static? if so, do I reinstall the device, or use the focusrite application to change the sample rate? I am not sure on the net step. Thank you.
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park
(07-26-2020, 04:53 PM)LVanarsdall Wrote: Hello all. I am having problem with a teacher who is having latency and static issues while using a focusrite interface with a condensor microphone with his Macbook. While in have session, I have him go to Manage/Audio Settings/ Audio Booster, where I adjust his bitrate and audio frame size. I have him at 128K and 2ms, but when I have him go up or sown on those settings the static remains. He tells me he is also getting a message about "his sample rate not matching". Is this the source of the static? if so, do I reinstall the device, or use the focusrite application to change the sample rate? I am not sure on the net step. Thank you.
>>>
Verify your sample rates in Focusrite Control & JamKazam Audio Gear. They should match.
Depending on the type of AI it could make a difference which to choose. 'Standard' would be 48k but we've seen 2i2 owners getting best results with a 96k setting.
Also make sure the macbook is on mains(!) and that a full/high power scheme is selected and no other software is running in the background.
(07-27-2020, 10:58 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 04:53 PM)LVanarsdall Wrote: Hello all. I am having problem with a teacher who is having latency and static issues while using a focusrite interface with a condensor microphone with his Macbook. While in have session, I have him go to Manage/Audio Settings/ Audio Booster, where I adjust his bitrate and audio frame size. I have him at 128K and 2ms, but when I have him go up or sown on those settings the static remains. He tells me he is also getting a message about "his sample rate not matching". Is this the source of the static? if so, do I reinstall the device, or use the focusrite application to change the sample rate? I am not sure on the net step. Thank you.
>>>
Verify your sample rates in Focusrite Control & JamKazam Audio Gear. They should match.
Depending on the type of AI it could make a difference which to choose. 'Standard' would be 48k but we've seen 2i2 owners getting best results with a 96k setting.
Also make sure the macbook is on mains(!) and that a full/high power scheme is selected and no other software is running in the background.
Thank you for your reply. It gave me other things to consider when working on this kind of problem. What ended up working was going into audio booster and trying different bit-rate and frame size. The static appears to clear up at 128k and 5ms. Anything higher then 5ms and the mic stopped working altogether. What works best is when I can work with the musician one-on-one; usually, the instructors are in the middle of a session when I am contacted for assistance and there is too much going on for effective troubleshooting.
Robert "Lee" Vanarsdall
University of Maryland, College Park