• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Session user limit
It would be good if there was an option to set a limit to the number of people that can be in your session.

I'm finding to often I will set up a session only to have it fill up to an extent that I can no longer participate or it gets hijacked by a group of people who have low latency to each other. Based in Australia I am a long way from the rest of the world and can have a good session with one or two others say from the USA or Europe but any more I'm basically blown out of my own session.

If I could set say a limit of 4 and others wanting to join simply get a session full message try back later would be really useful.

Cheers

Mike
Good suggestion!
Peter Walker from JamKazam has told that 7 is the recommended maximum of participants in a session. For technical reasons (of course) - not musical / organizational.

If I had to set a limit in a session, it would just be 7.
However, TEST NETWORK has previously shown that my internet connection can support up to 8, but I let the doubt benefit Peter Walker's statement.

7 is also a little easier to deal with musically and organizationally than 8.
Not to mention 12 or 17.

Here in this video, Peter Walker mentions the 7 limit:
JamKazam Music Festival - May 30 @5pm CDT
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG$6...be&t=18126

The YouTube link is apparently corrupt.
If necessary, search for the title on YouTube - and fast forward to 5:02:00
(07-18-2020, 11:48 PM)mike.cardinal@gmail.com Wrote: It would be good if there was an option to set a limit to the number of people that can be in your session.

I'm finding to often I will set up a session only to have it fill up to an extent that I can no longer participate or it gets hijacked by a group of people who have low latency to each other. Based in Australia I am a long way from the rest of the world and can have a good session with one or two others say from the USA or Europe but any more I'm basically blown out of my own session.

If I could set say a limit of 4 and others wanting to join simply get a session full message try back later would be really useful.

Cheers

Mike
Can't you simply set your session to RSVP only and just ignore join requests once you reach your desired limit?
One proposal does not completely exclude the other.

In any case, the first proposal gives the applicants a clear message, which the second proposal does not

One can also simply change session properties to a total closed session once the preferred number of participants has joined.
But it is and will be a clumsy solution ...
I would prefer so set and forget.

Replying to RSVPs are a pain when playing and I'm sure many players when looking for a session don't bother to join if an rsvp is required. I know I have tried many and have only been invited in once or twice so no longer bother.

I can have a great session with 3-4 players anymore starts to be problematic. Checking my history and I have had up to 32 people come and go in a session and often filling the screen with names. its great fun but frustrating when you get blown out of your own session.
While i agree with the idea, it does not address the issue of preventing unwanted people from Joining. RSVP is the best option. Otherwise, i still only takes 1 of the 4 people to ruin the session. Nevertheless, I still like the idea and welcome it since we know too many people in the session often results in problems. It reminds me of an old saying, 2 is company, 3 is a crowd - lol.
(07-21-2020, 03:49 AM)GDJ Wrote: While i agree with the idea, it does not address the issue of preventing unwanted people from Joining. RSVP is the best option. Otherwise, i still only takes 1 of the 4 people to ruin the session. Nevertheless, I still like the idea and welcome it since we know too many people in the session often results in problems. It reminds me of an old saying, 2 is company, 3 is a crowd - lol.
If someone is causing issues then you can simply use the boot option. 

Works really well  Big Grin
agreed. I had to use it only once. Very useful