• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a Perfect Hardware Combination?
Grettings Jammers :-)

I am new to JK, having tons of problems like many others.
I am stumbling along with a Steinberg UR22C, 4 year old Dell Inspiron 3847, USB 3.0 port that only wants to run at 2.0.
I have managed to get some decent latency, but have occasional I/O issues.
I am able to play with Jamtracks, and JK says I able to jam with others, but I have not tried yet, as I have occasional I/O jitter.

As I navigate this endless rabbit hole WITHOUT an IT background, it occured to me to ask the JK veterans, what would be a perfect, gauranteed to work, combination of processor, audio interface, and audio software.

I don't want to be a computer technician, I want to Jam live music online!
I am willing to purchase the right equipment, just do not know what to get.  
Hope that all makes sense :-)

Great question and the answer to which I am also really interested learn! I am a little discouraged that there is no reply to this yet... Anyone please feel free to nuke my otherwise vapid post...
disclaimer: I was an IT tech and worked @ Dell in a previous life. I also have spent enough money on computers-for-audio to buy a Tesla. Most of that was wasted, as the stuff didn't really work.

I heartily recommend a Mac Mini, Air, iMac, etc (can't speak for the new Macbook) and any interface from Mark of the Unicorn. "Once you use Mac, you won't want to go back".

If you want to keep using the hardware you have, I suggest you update the Dell system BIOS, update all of the Dell drivers, get rid of any software you have on it that you don't use, then re-install the Steinberg drivers, then finish off by deleting/re-creating your audio profile in the JK client.

Don't be put off by numbers pertaining to jitter, latency, or delayed borborygmas. Just go do it - it might work OK
(05-29-2020, 05:35 PM)dennislamason Wrote: Grettings Jammers :-)

I am new to JK, having tons of problems like many others.
I am stumbling along with a Steinberg UR22C, 4 year old Dell Inspiron 3847, USB 3.0 port that only wants to run at 2.0.
I have managed to get some decent latency, but have occasional I/O issues.
I am able to play with Jamtracks, and JK says I able to jam with others, but I have not tried yet, as I have occasional I/O jitter.

As I navigate this endless rabbit hole WITHOUT an IT background, it occured to me to ask the JK veterans, what would be a perfect, gauranteed to work, combination of processor, audio interface, and audio software.

I don't want to be a computer technician, I want to Jam live music online!
I am willing to purchase the right equipment, just do not know what to get.  
Hope that all makes sense :-)

------

I think what you have now may work just fine. What does JK say your hardware latency is with this setup?
That's the important part.

I don't understand your comment about your USB 3 port only running at 2.0 speeds. I looked at the specs of that Dell computer and it only has USB 2.0 interfaces.

USB 2.0 interfaces will work just fine with JK. If you can dedicate this Windows machine to JK then I'd reinstall Windows which will of course remove all existing third party software and then optimize it for real-time audio. Start by running LatencyMon to see what tuning you'll need:
https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe

Report back here with the results and we'll go from there. I've done this with an unused HP laptop and it works great.
(05-31-2020, 05:29 AM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: disclaimer: I was an IT tech and worked @ Dell in a previous life. I also have spent enough money on computers-for-audio to buy a Tesla. Most of that was wasted, as the stuff didn't really work.

I heartily recommend a Mac Mini, Air, iMac, etc (can't speak for the new Macbook) and any interface from Mark of the Unicorn. "Once you use Mac, you won't want to go back".

If you want to keep using the hardware you have, I suggest you update the Dell system BIOS, update all of the Dell drivers, get rid of any software you have on it that you don't use, then re-install the Steinberg drivers, then finish off by deleting/re-creating your audio profile in the JK client.

Don't be put off by numbers pertaining  to jitter, latency, or delayed borborygmas. Just go do it - it might work OK

Fortunately, I hav a couple of MOTU interfaces and use them. Zero Monitoring Latency interface through Cuemix. Great Interfaces for Prosumer.
Also, i use my Macbook Retina, but have created an SSD Sierra boot drive with only JK and my Audio Interface on it. Boots in less then a minute and processing is very low and latency on the hardware side is very low and 99% in the green with a usual flicker to yellow for a few seconds.
Special boot drive for JK - that's a great idea - though I ask, why Sierra and not High Sierra?

(I'm one of those odd-numbered MacOS guys...)
(05-31-2020, 04:18 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: Special boot drive for JK - that's a great idea - though I ask, why Sierra and not High Sierra?

(I'm one of those odd-numbered MacOS guys...)

I went with Sierra vs High Sierra, simply because I had the installer for it already. I also have it as my normal OS for my 3 Macs. I'm not one of those people that needs the latest if it causes one of my apps to become incompatible. I upgrade only when it is absolutely necessary. I have learned over the years, this works best for me because of the time energy expense required when upgrading. There has to be a good enough reason for me to make the Jump.

I have noticed very low processing going on. I also don't need to run Snitch or be picky about software firewall settings. I do not have any 3rd party apps installed on the SSD. It's just a very vanilla setup for JK. my music partner did this too and it nudged us in a better direction with better performance. I also do have Port Forwarding to help my router manage the JK traffic.

The Samsung USB 500G SSD drive, about 80 bucks. Very fast - worth having around
Awesome replies!!!

It will take a long time for me to apply these suggestions, but as a famous U.S. general once said:   I shall return :-)

Thank you for all the suggestions!!!
(05-31-2020, 08:00 PM)dennislamason Wrote: Awesome replies!!!

It will take a long time for me to apply these suggestions, but as a famous U.S. general once said:   I shall return :-)

---

Dennis - the short answer is that if you're willing to purchase a MAC things should work fine with little effort as they are built to handle realtime audio and video. Windows systems can do this just as well in most cases but it requires some tuning (changing OS settings) to get there. It's possible the existing machine you have will work. 
Let us know how it goes.
(05-31-2020, 08:00 PM)dennislamason Wrote: Awesome replies!!!

Ha Ha. For me, it took about 2 + hours which includes research time, but once you get things going - put a movie on - lol