• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ini configuration update failed
Question 
Hi,

I downloaded and installed version 1.0.3665 of the Mac client at the weekend.

On starting up I received several errors about ini files not being updated, with a "write failed" message:

Audio.ini configuration update failed (not writable) twice
     Video.ini configuration update failed (not writable)
     Client.ini configuration update failed (not writable)

The program then, I get the same set of errors a couple of times before it finally connects to the site and the interface appears.

In this thread from jak denantes - https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=379 - you advise them to change the permissions of a particular directory:

sudo chmod -R +rw ~/.config

Is that a jamkazam specific config hidden directory under the Home directory or is it a system directory?  If the latter do I just want to be creating empty versions of these files and setting the permissions on those?

Many Thanks

Dave.
(04-28-2020, 09:16 AM)Dave Falconer Wrote: Hi,

On starting up I received several errors about ini files not being updated, with a "write failed" message:

The program then, I get the same set of errors a couple of times before it finally connects to the site and the interface appears.

In this thread from jak denantes - https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=379 - you advise them to change the permissions of a particular directory:

Is that a jamkazam specific config hidden directory under the Home directory or is it a system directory?  If the latter do I just want to be creating empty versions of these files and setting the permissions on those?

Many Thanks

Dave.

>>>
I'm hard pressed to find any functional *.ini file on a mac/osx (it's a windows thing)
(04-28-2020, 09:55 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:

Many Thanks

Dave.

>>>
I'm hard pressed to find any functional *.ini file on a mac/osx (it's a windows thing)

Hi Dimitri,

Agreed - .ini files are Windows.  I assumed their use here was because it's a multi platform client.

However, the error is there!  I can't set up any audio configuration - or I have to start from scratch every time I start the application.  Here's an excerpt from the JamKazamSupport_i.log file:

<W>2020-04-28T07:56:24 Mixer.ini: configuration update failed (not writable)
     <W>2020-04-28T07:56:25 Audio.ini: configuration update failed (not writable)
     <W>2020-04-28T07:56:27 onMixerCleanUpTimer
     <W>2020-04-28T07:56:27 Video.ini: configuration update failed (not writable)

Ive tried the chmod command as mentioned above, and that didn't work.  Actually I set the directory permissions to 766, so any process or user can write to it (not good from a security point of view, but hey, one issue at a time...)

Still no joy though - I'm still getting those errors.

Spotlight can't find the files, so I'm presuming they should have been created at install time, and the "update" doesn't create the files if it can't find them?

Or maybe I've set write permissions on the wrong directory?

Any pointers gratefully received

Many Thanks

Dave

OK, got it!

For some reason the ~/.config directory had its owner set to "root".

I changed that with a chown command to be my normal username and restarted the client.

That creates a JamKazam folder in ~/.config, and all the ini files are in there - created on application startup where they didn't exist before.

I restored the permissions on ~/.config back to 744 to improve the security and restarted the client again.

I was still able to configure my audio interface, and the settings were remembered when the client was started yet again!

Hopefully this will be able to help anyone if they come across a similar issue

Thanks

Dave
(04-28-2020, 05:53 PM)IDave Falconer Wrote:

Many Thanks

Dave.

>>>

Hi Dimitri,

Agreed - .ini files are Windows.  I assumed their use here was because it's a multi platform client.

However, the error is there!  I can't set up any audio configuration - or I have to start from scratch every time I start the application.  Here's an excerpt from the JamKazamSupport_i.log file:

Ive tried the chmod command as mentioned above, and that didn't work.  Actually I set the directory permissions to 766, so any process or user can write to it (not good from a security point of view, but hey, one issue at a time...)

Spotlight can't find the files, so I'm presuming they should have been created at install time, and the "update" doesn't create the files if it can't find them?

Many Thanks

Dave

OK, got it!

I changed that with a chown command to be my normal username and restarted the client.

That creates a JamKazam folder in ~/.config, and all the ini files are in there - created on application startup where they didn't exist before.

I restored the permissions on ~/.config back to 744 to improve the security and restarted the client again.

I was still able to configure my audio interface, and the settings were remembered when the client was started yet again!

Thanks

Dave

>>>
Well done!
Happy jammin’
(04-28-2020, 05:53 PM)IDave Falconer Wrote:

Many Thanks

Dave.

>>>

Hi Dimitri,

Many Thanks

Dave

OK, got it!

Thanks

Dave

>>>
Well done!
Happy jammin’
Hy i try do this but not working on my mac, i run the app with root user.