• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distance to Me not working
I'm a new user with a 2017 iMac running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and JamKazam build 1.20 - "1.0.2674". 

Searching for musicians near me doesn't work.  I'm in Lafayette CA in the SF Bay Area, and sorting by "Distance to me" gives me a list of musicians starting with Tucson AZ, followed by Philadelphia PA, followed by other random and "unavailable" locations. I've turned on Location Services in System Preferences, but that setting doesn't list JamKazam as one of the apps to allow access to my location.  I have my city & state in my profile.  I don't see anything in JamKazam's preferences that would pertain to this.

Am I missing something?  Any advice?
(05-21-2020, 05:26 PM)AllenHopkins Wrote: I'm a new user with a 2017 iMac running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 and JamKazam build 1.20 - "1.0.2674". 

Searching for musicians near me doesn't work.  I'm in Lafayette CA in the SF Bay Area, and sorting by "Distance to me" gives me a list of musicians starting with Tucson AZ, followed by Philadelphia PA, followed by other random and "unavailable" locations. I've turned on Location Services in System Preferences, but that setting doesn't list JamKazam as one of the apps to allow access to my location.  I have my city & state in my profile.  I don't see anything in JamKazam's preferences that would pertain to this.

Am I missing something?  Any advice?

Interesting, I am right next door to you.. WC! I never sorted by this before but welcome that we coordinate to check it out. I've been using JK since March. Look for my name on JK and click Connect so I can add you as a friend. Even though we may have different musical interest, maybe I can help you out.
You have me curios about what you are referring to? can you explain where in JK "distances to me" is? I'm looking in the find sections for sessions, musicians, and the right-side panel where you can search for musicians but not seeing any filters for this option
[attachment=139 Wrote:Grateful Dead Jams pid='3517' dateline='1590153162']You have me curios about what you are referring to? can you explain where in JK "distances to me" is? I'm looking in the find sections for sessions, musicians, and the right-side panel where you can search for musicians but not seeing any filters for this option
Hi, neighbor.  If I start from the home page, click the big red "Musicians" block, (wait for the initial list to display), click the red "SEARCH" button in the upper left, I get a "search musicians" form.  In the upper right of that form I see "Sort Results By:" with a tool to select from two choices: "Latency to Me" and "Distance to Me".

The search results seem to have nothing to do with actual distance to me.  They certainly aren't sorted by distance.  Does it work for you? I've attached screenshots of the form and the first page of results.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Allen, thanks.. now i get it. I'm not surprised in that since March, many features like this aren't working properly. But, very slowly improving. I notice the Unknown shows in a persons thumbnail profile too. i suspect this notification is dead in the water for now.
(05-25-2020, 04:01 PM)Grateful Dead Jams Wrote: Allen, thanks.. now i get it. I'm not surprised in that since March, many features like this aren't working properly. But, very slowly improving. I notice the Unknown shows in a persons thumbnail profile too. i suspect this notification is dead in the water for now.
There seems to be a lot that’s broken.  For example, the search form looks like you’re supposed to be able to select genres from the list of genres and instruments from the list of instruments, but I can’t see how.  (See my first screenshot above.) It looks as if there should be checkboxes next to the words so you can select them, but they are missing.  Or something.  Is that true for you?  Can you search by genre and/or instrument?
You are correct. The selection for other areas like this is confusing. Especially, when setting up your profile and you want to make a multiple selection.

I hope i can put you at ease by saying, look the other way. Don't focus on this stuff. The more you look for issues, you'll find them. It's difficult enough they jump right out at you. Just ignore them and don't get caught up in thinking everything thing needs to be reported, or posted. It's assume it's problematic, in my opinion.

As long as I can get into a session and the basic operations to the main features works, I'm okay with it. I can tell you since March, there was a minor overhaul in the interface. It was more broken.

Here's how i'm encouraged

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cy2fsq-keep-j...-improving
Good points.  Thanks for sharing that link.  It helps to have that insight.
Yes, "The search results seem to have nothing to do with actual distance to me".

I think you are right about that. And that is of course annoying - partly a waste of time to look in "musicians", then.

What I know for sure is that the "Latency to Me" is useless.

As an example: None of my closest connections (such as those under 35 milliseconds) are listed in the top of the list. Of course, they should be at the top of the list.

One of my connections that is at 20 milliseconds total latency is nowhere to be found. Unless diving and diving and diving in the list, maybe. I have never found him.

As Gratefull writes, it's not something to focus too much on.

But of course it should work sooner or later.

Once upon a time it worked decent. 5 years ago
Thinking more about this, and I may post as a feature request for this. Instead of searching by latency, simply allow us to search by people close geographically by zip code. Here is why.

If JK is a social network for musicians and the musicians discover they are musically compatible, it seems more practical to know this too, to create the opportunity to get together in person. if Allen and I are 5 minutes away from each other (we are) we could be the next the next Beatles. We could change the world. Lol

Match, for musicians.