• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mesh network didn't help with internet latency
Hi All,

Just got a friend up and running on JK. They are in San Fransisco area. I'm in Boston MA area. In a session with friend in SF, and another friend in NY city area, SF internet latency was 70ms, and with NY internet latency was 10ms. 

SF friend was on free account so we encouraged them to go to paid plan to get the mesh network. They left the session, paid for gold plan, restarted JK, joined the session and their internet latency was still 70ms. 

At one point i had seen the name of the backbone low latency network service that JK is using, but i can't find the name again. I know at the time i had found it that the service had entry points in NY city and SF. Does anyone know the name of the service?

Also, does anyone know what could be happening that the mesh network on the gold plan didn't do anything to reduce the internet latency for my friend in SF 3,000 miles away?

Peace,
Dan
Not sure what you mean by mesh but I have fibre broadband with mesh WiFi transmitters - if it's that then you need to have a wired connection straight to the router/through network socket on the first Mesh transmitter if 'straight through' wired broadband is available there (as on mine). Any radio involved will kill JamKazam's performance. 

I recently swapped out radio-borne high spec Wireless Broadband for fixed cable for exactly that reason, on the route to the home leg.

Although high latency's a good sign things are wrong for JamKazam, high Jitter values are another/the main indicator.

Hope this helps!
(06-04-2021, 02:49 AM)backinterrapin Wrote: Hi All,

Just got a friend up and running on JK. They are in San Fransisco area. I'm in Boston MA area. In a session with friend in SF, and another friend in NY city area, SF internet latency was 70ms, and with NY internet latency was 10ms. 

SF friend was on free account so we encouraged them to go to paid plan to get the mesh network. They left the session, paid for gold plan, restarted JK, joined the session and their internet latency was still 70ms. 

At one point i had seen the name of the backbone low latency network service that JK is using, but i can't find the name again. I know at the time i had found it that the service had entry points in NY city and SF. Does anyone know the name of the service?

Also, does anyone know what could be happening that the mesh network on the gold plan didn't do anything to reduce the internet latency for my friend in SF 3,000 miles away?

Peace,
Dan
Unfortunately there isn't any offering from JK that provides for lower latency than your existing connection provides. They have a dedicated server arrangement that can lower the bandwidth used in your seasons but doesn't provide any magic bullet regarding latency. Trying to play with others who are thousands of miles away will likely be an exercise in frustration, especially if one of your players is a drummer.
I'm in Oregon and I've had good sessions with players in New York, Virginia, Ontario, etc so I know it is POSSIBLE but also subject to the conditions.
Highest latency = weakest link. It's cumulative.

There is a new feature that could improve your session performance. In the Management menu/Network options you can specify Audio Relay Server connection priority. for you friend in SF, use the default setting and have them start the session. For yourself, select "prefer host ARS" then join the session. In theory, you (with the lowest latency) will now connect to the ARS server that your friend (with the highest latency) is already connected to, thus resulting in a lower cumulative latency.

I have a friend in New Mexico, who was unable to participate in sessions I started, but after having HIM start and me follow, that problem was resolved, using the method I described above.
(06-04-2021, 03:09 PM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: I'm in Oregon and I've had good sessions with players in New York, Virginia, Ontario, etc so I know it is POSSIBLE but also subject to the conditions.
Highest latency = weakest link. It's cumulative.

There is a new feature that could improve your session performance. In the Management menu/Network options you can specify  Audio Relay Server connection priority. for you friend in SF, use the default setting and have them start the session. For yourself, select "prefer host ARS" then join the session. In theory, you (with the lowest latency) will now connect to the ARS server that your friend (with the highest latency) is already connected to, thus resulting in a lower cumulative latency.

I have a friend in New Mexico, who was unable to participate in sessions I started, but after having HIM start and me follow, that problem was resolved, using the method I described above.
Our personal attempts using the ARS infrastructure didn't yield good results because there wasn't a server close enough (lower latency path) to assist. When we tried there were only about 100 ARS servers globally and none at all in many less populous states. They were using Amazon for hosting these so your target state had to have an Amazon AWS presence.
Thanks all. I got a ticket in with support. They mentioned "mesh" when i think they are talking their ARS -- maybe their ARS mesh?

Anyway, support didn't mention the trick to start with the most distant and then others join with "prefer host ARS" -- so will try that and see what happens.

Peace,
Dan