• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
JK is getting worse and worse since upgrade plan
(05-19-2021, 01:35 PM)UPC04539 Wrote: As far as distortion goes, I have been playing with the Audio mixer and figured a few things out there.  If everybody puts out a clean signal on their end and make sure they are not clipping, it's a start.
Then there is compression/make-up gain to play with on each track but also on the master track (setting the master track right is important too. I had all nice signals on individual tracks but the master was clipping with the addition of everybody).
I personally send the master mix in Reaper where I add compression and reverb for my taste.  I experimented with plugins in Jamkazam but it is not very user friendly at the moment.

As far as latency goes, there as so many factors that comes into play.  But I can say that I have been playing with my band (5 members) and it went all smoothly.  Sometimes during a practice we may have to "resync" but overall it was pretty good.  I have also been playing with people in USA/Costa Rica and went pretty well (I am from Canada).  We were all on an internet speed between 100 and 400mb/s.

The latest update may show promise in improving things too with a fresh install.
I'm not sure how you can possibly play together over those long physical distances without significant latency, especially if you're using a drummer. We couldn't get it to work reliably and we're all in the same state with most of us only 12 miles apart. The bottom line is that the existing Internet infrastructure was never built to minimize latency only to provide connectivity and then later, increased bandwidth.
Our Band was playing tonight with 5 people in 4 locations ( usually 7 in5), spread across Scotland. 
MAC user upgraded fine, having deleted first.
We have found that using Jitsi for video alongside significantly reduces stress on JamKazam. Video is combined ('Band formation') and then fed to Zoom with appropriately delayed audio, for audience.
Sound is fully 'live', but video has about 300ms delay which is not an issue to let me know the band is ready to go....
We are on Gold subscriptions, because we use it a lot. It is frustrating at times though, and has taken a long time to get to a full system configuration which works to do gigs well.

Good luck!

(05-19-2021, 08:30 PM)DCairns Wrote: Our Band was playing tonight with 5 people in 4 locations ( usually 7 in5), spread across Scotland. 
We have found that using Jitsi for video alongside significantly reduces stress on JamKazam. Video is combined ('Band formation') and then fed to Zoom with appropriately delayed audio, for audience.
Sound is fully 'live', but video has about 300ms delay which is not an issue to let me know the band is ready to go....
We are on Gold subscriptions, because we use it a lot. It is frustrating at times though, and has taken a long time to get to a full system configuration which works to do gigs well.

Good luck!
 Should have also said:
22-35ms latency between players, depending on the wind, which works well musically
Don't play with the JK video settings in session - even moving the window may well crash app.
(05-19-2021, 08:30 PM)DCairns Wrote: Our Band was playing tonight with 5 people in 4 locations ( usually 7 in5), spread across Scotland. 

Good luck!

Good luck!
 Should have also said:
22-35ms latency between players, depending on the wind, which works well musically
Don't play with the JK video settings in session - even moving the window may well crash app.

Good point too.  we use zoom for the video.  dont know it that really helps but we figure if Jamkazam only manage audio it should increase performances.  we broadcast to zoom via OBS 5-7 musicians at the same time and it works pretty good (drummer included!)
We had some minor monitoring problems in Wednesday's session (4 players) but our latency numbers went substantially down for the 3 of us who are within 50 miles of each other (6-9ms total latency).
T.W. Day
Minnesota, USA
(05-21-2021, 03:09 PM)TWDay72 Wrote: We had some minor monitoring problems in Wednesday's session (4 players) but our latency numbers went substantially down for the 3 of us who are within 50 miles of each other (6-9ms total latency).
Wow!  We cant do better than about 15ms for the internet delay because of fibre to street then copper to house approach and how the ISPs structure their service.  What changed this week for you to make it so fast?
I have 20 years of Computer programming both front end and backend databases, so even though Dimitri Muskens might be correct in asking you to debug all the possible variables that can go wrong with JamKazam, that is not what I believe most users of JamKazam joined and paid their money for. I joined JamKazam to play with other musicians and have fun, not the constant latency issues, people constantly dropping in and out, dropping of packets, etc. that most of us appear to be experiencing. The users should not be required to find the bugs in JamKazam. JamKazam presented this product as a viable product for us to use and we pay for that.
It is their responsibility to make a Stable USER FRIENDLY platform that works.
Chuck
(05-02-2021, 03:48 PM)Heathcliff_wh Wrote: Hello everybody,
we made the mistake to subscribe an update plan to silver and since then the quality of the connection is worse than ever.

The latency increased, the network jitter increased, there are lots of packet losses. Reasonable rehearsing is no longer possible.

Does anybody experience the same issues?

Next week we will give the whole thing a last chance. Angry

Best regards
JK has been steadliy declining all year and has gotten much worse lately. Random crashes, endless "Jim can hear Fred and Harry but Harry can't hear Jim" etc., seemingly more latency, more crackling, etc. We are all on the Gold plan. We've tried tweaking every setting as individuals and as a group. Also suffering random attenuation during the session of individual players. Two of my groups have moved onto another platform with better results. If my last remaining regular session does the same then that might be it for me and JK.
(05-23-2021, 06:27 PM)SammerJammer Wrote:
(05-02-2021, 03:48 PM)Heathcliff_wh Wrote: Hello everybody,
we made the mistake to subscribe an update plan to silver and since then the quality of the connection is worse than ever.

The latency increased, the network jitter increased, there are lots of packet losses. Reasonable rehearsing is no longer possible.

Does anybody experience the same issues?

Next week we will give the whole thing a last chance. Angry

Best regards
JK has been steadliy declining all year and has gotten much worse lately. Random crashes, endless "Jim can hear Fred and Harry but Harry can't hear Jim" etc., seemingly more latency, more crackling, etc. We are all on the Gold plan. We've tried tweaking every setting as individuals and as a group. Also suffering random attenuation during the session of individual players. Two of my groups have moved onto another platform with better results. If my last remaining regular session does the same then that might be it for me and JK.

This might be tacky on this forum, but what "other platform?" If this one can't deliver, all is fair in my opinion.
Larry
Bassman9952@gmail.com
A search for "online music rehearsal platform" will yield several results.

I've tried Jamulus, which is great for people with the inclination to set it up (and 2 computers - one server, one client), under the right circumstances. However, it was not better than Jamkazam when the distances between musicians exceeded about 100 miles - in fact it was worse for me. As of now, AFAIK, there is no music platform online that is more mature than Jamkazam.

Still, your mileage may vary - it's not perfect. I'm getting great results (most of the time).
I would have to agree that things have gotten worse with a monthly payment plan AND with each new "upgraded" download. Our group has never had worse latency problems than we do now; and following the latest upgrade, all but one of us had connectivity problems, even following the newest upgrade that was supposed to patch things. Took me 75 minutes and several uninstalls and new installs to finally get onto a session.