• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Different Internet Latency
Hi,

I'm new to Jamkazam and experience latency problems due to internet connection when jamming with my band (6 players). The iinternet latency is high, with values above 50ms, ranging up to around 200 ms. My personal audio interface's latency is around 5 ms and input/output jitter is floating around 0 ms. My internet connection is rather slow, with around 3 MBps download and 1.5 MBps upload. I am using a LAN connection to my router.

However, if I am jamming with one friend of mine who has a high-speed fibre connection, my own slow connection does not seem to produce latencies. The audio stream is fine and we can play in sync.

Is it just the fibre connection which causes the different behaviour or am I missing something?

Best regards
Christian
with only 1.5 Mb/s upload you may be hitting a limit for number of connections. 1.5 is enough to have a good session with one or 2 people, but in my experience you need about 5mb/s upload to have a tight session with 6 players.

If fiber optic service is an option for you, you should consider it. It's currently the best form of internet access available to the consumer. in most cases your upload speed is equal to your download speed AKA "symmetrical".
(03-12-2021, 09:03 AM)c-sasse Wrote: Hi,

I'm new to Jamkazam and experience latency problems due to internet connection when jamming with my band (6 players). The iinternet latency is high, with values above 50ms, ranging up to around 200 ms. My personal audio interface's latency is around 5 ms and input/output jitter is floating around 0 ms. My internet connection is rather slow, with around 3 MBps download and 1.5 MBps upload. I am using a LAN connection to my router.

However, if I am jamming with one friend of mine who has a high-speed fibre connection, my own slow connection does not seem to produce latencies. The audio stream is fine and we can play in sync.

Is it just the fibre connection which causes the different behaviour or am I missing something?

Best regards
Christian
I'd venture to say that your Internet connection is way too slow to support 6 people. It can support two players which explains your success with one other musician. My group of 5 players suffered the same result and you can expect the poorest connected player to effect your overall session.
(03-12-2021, 09:03 AM)c-sasse Wrote: Hi,

Best regards
Christian
Hello Christian,

I am on a 1GB download and 100MBPS connection. My interface latency is 3.8ms. I/O Jitter is o.oo and occasionally goes up to 0.65 for a second. I don't know why.
Here is an example what my experience is: I have one player with a total Latency of 129ms! I leave the session, no playing in sync is possible.
I join another session one minute later with 7 players and the total latency is 37ms. Playing in sync is a bit difficult (I play drums) but doable if I keep a steady beat.
Latency issues are caused by wrong audio gear setup, old gear, slow internet, number of players, the overall use of the internet and many other parameters.
My setup is not bad and fast, but I run into latency issues all the time. I do check on other musicians interface latencies and it is surprising how often I see interfaces with very high latency.
But you really do have a slow internet connection, not really suitable for JK jams.

I wish I would know how to solve the problem......
Stay safe!