• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a live session jam with video even possible?
(02-21-2021, 09:09 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(02-21-2021, 06:05 PM)mportman Wrote: I'm on day 5 of setting up JK to work with my laptop (Windows 64 bit Intel i7) Presonus Audiobox 96 and Xfinity high speed ethernet connection. I am a pro-user/early adopter when it comes to tech such as this but after scouring the forums and YouTube videos I see that many recommend not using video if you really want to avoid latency problems.

So I want to ask whether JK is really just an audio-only jamming platform? Yes, I do see lots of examples of it being used with video but I also see many video latency issues being discussed in these forums and wonder if jams with video is even a real option and, if so, how. 

I haven't yet tried it out, and as soon as a friend of mine who is also setting up JK is ready we will be doing some test sessions, but I'm here to ask if it is even worth trying. I'm starting to think not.

Thanks,
 - Mark
Use of video during a JK session should be limited to pre and post play. Most routers aren't going to be able to prioritize your real-time audio packets ahead of your video unless you have an enabled QoS-based router. A lot of home routers don't have QOS and some that do don't work very well.

Thanks StuartR. So if I understand you correctly, video feed should only be used to communicate with others in my group before we play or after, but switch to audio only during the session.   I've never looked at QoS settings but I see my new Orbi RB50 mesh router does have it built in. There are no settings for QoS, it adjusts QoS internally when I run a Speed Test. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is a live session jam with video even possible? - by mportman - 02-21-2021, 10:34 PM