• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The timing is just terrible! (Fee-plan/developments)
Quoting last email regarding new developments:“In the process of taking two steps forward, we have basically taken one step back, and we know that this has caused connectivity issues recently. We released a partial fix for these connectivity issues over the weekend, but there is more work to do here. We are also acquiring a network emulator (using GoFundMe contributions – thank you!) that can help us create and test more networking scenarios that happen out there “in the wild” to make this feature set more robust and more reliable.

In addition to these issues, there are application crashes and quality issues that are caused by our “tech stack” – i.e. some third-party technologies on which our app is built. We need to update our tech stack, and this will probably require about 3 months, but once we’ve done this, the reliability of the platform will be much improved.“

So what happened? In July they asked for contributions und in order to make „massive improveements“. Then the app became more and instable and crashes a lot. And finally, when it seems that the improvements are about to be finished - JK becomes a service with a monthly fee plan. 

Now i am not the type of guy who wants everything to be free. I know that workers need money and webspace providers and whatnot also do. But the timeline is really fu***d up and so is communication. Don‘t tell us in summer that this is a community-driven service so you need us to donate for improvements and shut us out in winter unless we pay a hundred bucks a year. That is just not cool. 
I see where you’re coming from but i’m curious whether you think you’re being a little too rough here. Having been on the forums since March, your post represents a tone I’ve not seen yet. It just doesn’t seem right for the JamKazam community, especially during the difficult times all of us are dealing with during COVID, and in part is why we are here participating, donating, helping each other out, and using JamKazam. There’s a difference about being critical which you expressed, but to drop the f-bomb question about the timeline is a little harsh.

We are not on the same page and we shouldn’t be preoccupied about persuading each other either, but I’m certainly not holding the Devs to their timeline. Things happen and knowing the history of how JK started, and my own work and background in R&D, they are trying to make this happen on a shoestring. There’s a lot of work to be done here to get to a solid infrastructure.

To date, even with the upcoming tiered price plans, we are not faced with ultimatums. We have options. As for their communications, I find them very comprehensive and transparent about intentions. But I know enough to not hold them to their timelines. Stuff happens, at least in the world I’m in. And that’s okay. Things are significantly better then in April and I hope they can continue to make a go of this to the point we/you, can look back 5 months from now and say, not bad. Not bad at all. You have the ability to Edit your post, or respond in kind.
(12-16-2020, 06:57 AM)Askal Wrote: Quoting last email regarding new developments:“In the process of taking two steps forward, we have basically taken one step back, and we know that this has caused connectivity issues recently. We released a partial fix for these connectivity issues over the weekend, but there is more work to do here. We are also acquiring a network emulator (using GoFundMe contributions – thank you!) that can help us create and test more networking scenarios that happen out there “in the wild” to make this feature set more robust and more reliable.

In addition to these issues, there are application crashes and quality issues that are caused by our “tech stack” – i.e. some third-party technologies on which our app is built. We need to update our tech stack, and this will probably require about 3 months, but once we’ve done this, the reliability of the platform will be much improved.“

So what happened? In July they asked for contributions und in order to make „massive improveements“. Then the app became more and instable and crashes a lot. And finally, when it seems that the improvements are about to be finished - JK becomes a service with a monthly fee plan. 

Now i am not the type of guy who wants everything to be free. I know that workers need money and webspace providers and whatnot also do. But the timeline is really fu***d up and so is communication. Don‘t tell us in summer that this is a community-driven service so you need us to donate for improvements and shut us out in winter unless we pay a hundred bucks a year. That is just not cool. 
I get your point, always felt that it's a great sevice provided by JamKazam but wished to have the luxury to get problem-solving support from their side. Understandably this will not be possible on just a free member policy and it's okay for me to pay for it. As for the other services maybe you missed the part about members who have donated, i believe that they will be compensated but have to get in touch with the people in charge. In the announcement i read the following text:
===>
What If You’ve Already Contributed Financially?
If you contributed to our GoFundMe campaign, again we thank you so much for your support. If you are OK with having helped on the GoFundMe while also purchasing a premium monthly subscription going forward, we would appreciate your continued support. If you contributed $50 or more to our GoFundMe and feel like you should not have to pay monthly subscription fees so close to the time you made this contribution, then please drop us a note at support@jamkazam.com, and please include your name, email address, the amount, and the approximate date you made your contribution. We will talk with you and do our best to work something out that feels fair to you.
<===
I think that makes good sense and i hope that JamKazam will improve as announced. For me the covid misery is much easier to bear with the possibility to meet and play with people here which i think is a great relief for many others too.
If you run out of funds, not able to pay for the service maybe Jamulus would be a good option, it ist still offered for free. Quite different from Jamkazam but working good too.
(12-18-2020, 12:41 PM)BeatBaumli Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 06:57 AM)Askal Wrote: Quoting last email regarding new developments:“In the process of taking two steps forward, we have basically taken one step back, and we know that this has caused connectivity issues recently. We released a partial fix for these connectivity issues over the weekend, but there is more work to do here. We are also acquiring a network emulator (using GoFundMe contributions – thank you!) that can help us create and test more networking scenarios that happen out there “in the wild” to make this feature set more robust and more reliable.

I get your point, always felt that it's a great sevice provided by JamKazam but wished to have the luxury to get problem-solving support from their side. Understandably this will not be possible on just a free member policy and it's okay for me to pay for it. As for the other services maybe you missed the part about members who have donated, i believe that they will be compensated but have to get in touch with the people in charge. In the announcement i read the following text:
===>
What If You’ve Already Contributed Financially?
If you contributed to our GoFundMe campaign, again we thank you so much for your support. If you are OK with having helped on the GoFundMe while also purchasing a premium monthly subscription going forward, we would appreciate your continued support. If you contributed $50 or more to our GoFundMe and feel like you should not have to pay monthly subscription fees so close to the time you made this contribution, then please drop us a note at support@jamkazam.com, and please include your name, email address, the amount, and the approximate date you made your contribution. We will talk with you and do our best to work something out that feels fair to you.
<===
I think that makes good sense and i hope that JamKazam will improve as announced. For me the covid misery is much easier to bear with the possibility to meet and play with people here which i think is a great relief for many others too.
If you run out of funds, not able to pay for the service maybe Jamulus would be a good option, it ist still offered for free. Quite different from Jamkazam but working good too.
Jamkazam is still free to use and has been since inception. In their defense they were upfront about the funding they needed and providing it was strictly voluntary. They also communicated the probability that the major changes they're making would cause service disruptions. My band is totally dependent on this service right now and we're making it work, even through these last several months. I hope everyone will hang in there and help make Jamkazam even better for all of us.