• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I worry about buffer bloat?
(11-15-2020, 09:29 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: When I run the DSL reports speed test I get a grade of D for buffer bloat ( centurylink DSL  40 up, 5 down ).  The buffer bloat is only on upload and if I configure the speed test to limit things to 3 mbps the bloat goes away.
Since we have a few ways to limit/throttle bandwidth etc in the Jamkazam app, should I even worry about buffer bloat being caused by Jamkazam  outgoing/transmitted data?

In my case I usually have exclusive use of our internet connection during JK sessions.  Hard wired of course.   Our jams are probably 75-80% successful with everybody within 75 miles of eachother.  I seem to get good latency and reasonable jitter, but want to do all I can with the gear I have.

Was even considering a smart/managed gaming switch so I could rate limit ( throttle ) my JK connection, keeping it below any buffer bloat territory.
As long as you have exclusive access to your home router while in a JK session, buffer bloat won't be an issue. Most routers fail this test as they aren't designed to prioritize time sensitive traffic. That's requires either good QoS policy or optimized router software.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should I worry about buffer bloat? - by StuartR - 01-25-2021, 02:13 AM