• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I worry about buffer bloat?
When I run the DSL reports speed test I get a grade of D for buffer bloat ( centurylink DSL  40 up, 5 down ).  The buffer bloat is only on upload and if I configure the speed test to limit things to 3 mbps the bloat goes away.
Since we have a few ways to limit/throttle bandwidth etc in the Jamkazam app, should I even worry about buffer bloat being caused by Jamkazam  outgoing/transmitted data?

In my case I usually have exclusive use of our internet connection during JK sessions.  Hard wired of course.   Our jams are probably 75-80% successful with everybody within 75 miles of eachother.  I seem to get good latency and reasonable jitter, but want to do all I can with the gear I have.

Was even considering a smart/managed gaming switch so I could rate limit ( throttle ) my JK connection, keeping it below any buffer bloat territory.
Using Line 6 Helix or Roland Session Mixer as audio interface
(01-23-2021, 09:19 PM)retaichraq123 Wrote: Doesn’t bufferbloat only create dropped or delayed packets if the line is saturated? So unless someone is hogging all the bandwidth, this should have no effect since cod barely takes up any bandwidth at all?
I think may have to do with your modem or router being slammed with more data than it can handle.  One family member might be using a third of your bandwidth for Netflix while you use 1/5th of it for Jamkazam, but if the router is being pushed I think it can affect your sessions.  All I know is that throttling down my DSL upload speed at the router stopped the buffer bloat.
(11-15-2020, 09:29 PM)carvinae185@gmail.com Wrote: When I run the DSL reports speed test I get a grade of D for buffer bloat ( centurylink DSL  40 up, 5 down ).  The buffer bloat is only on upload and if I configure the speed test to limit things to 3 mbps the bloat goes away.
Since we have a few ways to limit/throttle bandwidth etc in the Jamkazam app, should I even worry about buffer bloat being caused by Jamkazam  outgoing/transmitted data?

In my case I usually have exclusive use of our internet connection during JK sessions.  Hard wired of course.   Our jams are probably 75-80% successful with everybody within 75 miles of eachother.  I seem to get good latency and reasonable jitter, but want to do all I can with the gear I have.

Was even considering a smart/managed gaming switch so I could rate limit ( throttle ) my JK connection, keeping it below any buffer bloat territory.
As long as you have exclusive access to your home router while in a JK session, buffer bloat won't be an issue. Most routers fail this test as they aren't designed to prioritize time sensitive traffic. That's requires either good QoS policy or optimized router software.
I went in the other day and removed that throttling of the upload speed because twice in the last week during a session the jk application just blew up and crashed..." disconnected from server "
don't know if they're related but got to try one fix at a time
I will say this, unless you paid for your dsl (assuming adsl) router, you will probably want to look into purchasing your own. Most that are provided by your ISP will be junk. They tend to overheat if utilized anywhere near your cap. This cap is usually put in place when you are pretty close to the Phone companies main office that you connect to. You can kind of think of that copper wire set that connects your home to the phone company as a piece of string between two paper cups. If you close to my age you have done the telephone this way while playing as a kid. You have two dixie cups or something similar and a string going through a hole in the bottoms of each. If you pull these taught it will allow you to kinda talk (more yell) and hear on the other side and vice versa. The longer the string though the more "interference" there will be but just the opposite will be less interference and stronger sound or "signal" DSL uses copper wires intended for your analog phone signal to travel over it using a lower voltage than your house ac supply but higher than most of the other electronics in your house. When you are close to the main office, you can have stupid fast speeds and very very low latency. I remember being within 5 miles of mine in california and I manually uncapped my modem and had, no joke and this was in 2002, nearly 500 KB/s (kilobytes not bits) and upload the same speed. I was paying for 384Mb/s(megabits per sec) and 128Up. so once again this is with optimal conditions. That being said if you have your own equipment, and a great router or at least one that can handle at least 2 inputs up to your max ISP speed, you would ideally have to setup a QOS profile to allow that full unfettered speed. A router doesn't allow everything a connection to the ISP then to the internet, it routes it, IE it has to do a patrolman's job directing traffic, not everybody can go at the same time, but rather some people get to go at one time then they have to stop and let others go. A QOS profile or setting will prioritize a port or ip address or even a program when it shows up and allow it the most priority and bandwidth available. That being said also, if your router doesn't have a decent amount of memory or processing power, even something simple as a single connection using a bunch of priority and another just pinging the internet everyonce in a while to refresh a webpage will cause your latency to bounce around. The buffer has to do with the amount of packets and their sizes being uploaded through whatever you Cap is set at. Most ISP's tend to give most customers a pretty high Download rate but upload is always a factor lower. Even though, through experience, the amplifiers in most modems are quite capable of handling the data being sent. Some filters installed at your house can cause issue if they aren't installed correctly too. they are supposed to filter the frequencies at use for the phone and the dsl signals, but if there is any other "Noise" it will drop your the strength of your signal effectively dropping the rate of transfer for upload and download. I would definitely try a tracert to see what your latency is to several servers and maybe if you have a friend that you have been jamming with, try pinging their address with a larger set of bytes to see if you can see where the softcap is and if indeed it is buffer bloat.
I also hate to say this but the way windows is also can be a huge contributor to this. I have been very frustrated with the way the updates for windows 10 have been pushed and not tested before being pushed. You can receive a request for installation of a bunch of updates even when you have set it to install those late at night or whenever you aren't supposed to be using it... Lol ms like to tell you when. either way, I would before jumping in to JK just check settings and then updates and see if any are pending, or a quicker way is to just ctrl+$ft+esc and look for any of the wclaut or other ms windows update processes being active with high cpu or whatnot before you get on. this would just mean that ms is updating something in the background while you are needing the connection and then you would not have nearly what you thought you had when you connected.
Californian, played for a few bands, a lot of genres and a lot of musicians. I have no "style", but I love playing music and allow it to conform me. Experience in sound engineering. A computer geek (certified btw) When I get the e-kit set up, we shall ride this to the end Irons Up!!!