• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamkazam is moving onto Paid Subscriptions. Donors and volunteers' thoughts?
Hi, everyone. 

I just tried opening Jamkazam on my mobile device and found the updated jamkazam webpage showing planned monthly pricing for a number of subscription tiers. 

https://jamkazam.com/remote-music-rehearsals/

Free versions would be limited to 4hrs/month, with each session being limited to 1hr/month, and three paid tiers being offered. 

I understand that Jamkazam now has a sizable community of users and assume that there are cost involved in hosting servers, maintenance and development etc. So Jamkazam finding a sustainable way of growth is something I've been looking forward to, and I believe this wish is shared among many. 

My question is rather, if the existing members had received any newsletters or announcement regarding this change, ESPECIALLY the volunteers and the donors who is helping Jamkazam reach their fundraising goal and more. (no-strings-attached, goodwill donations as far as what I can see)
Seeing the updated page on the plans and pricing without having received any announcement or newsletter, should come as a lack of transparency and consistency to the donors and volunteers, if not all users who are helping to improve Jamkazam by effectively beta testing it as they use it, and actively sending crash reports etc.  
If I may point out as an example, the 'Most Popular' highlight on the middle tier paid subscription plan on their website - I assume this is a common marketing practice yet is a false statement, as nobody on Jamkazam so far could've been a paid subscriber as the plans are listed as 'coming soon' at the time of this posting. Therefore there cannot be any data on which plan is the most popular. 
  • Fellow users, have you received any announcement or newsletter regarding the coming paid subscription plans? 
  • And to the Jamkazam operators, would you share/comment on my concerns regarding the lack of communication on your planned change into a paid subscription service, especially for those who has been volunteers and donors?
  • And again, the community of people who make Jamkazam such a lively and noisy place - what are your thoughts?

Thanks and greetings to everyone, 

- Yoon

This is the first I have heard of it.

If it was a stable and reliable platform i would consider paying a subscription however it has a long way to go at this stage to get to that point.

There are other options available that are still free (but somewhat more complex to setup).

TBH I really only put up with all the issues as it is a free service and I so enjoy meeting all of you and having a opportunity (most of the time) to have a play.
Does this mean, for example, that a group of 6 members will need to come up with 6 x 4.99 = 30 $ a month (360 $/year) and 20 choristers (if this size group is even possible with JK) would have to pay 20 x 10 $ monthly = 200 $ or 2400 $ /year? For a modestly-sized amateur chorus this is a non-starter IMHO.
(10-26-2020, 09:28 AM)jschwarz Wrote: Does this mean, for example, that a group of 6 members will need to come up with 6 x 4.99 = 30 $ a month (360 $/year) and 20 choristers (if this size group is even possible with JK) would have to pay 20 x 10 $ monthly = 200 $ or 2400 $ /year? For a modestly-sized amateur chorus this is a non-starter IMHO.
>>>
Looks that way doesn't it?
And then still you can only play 10hr/month. (at low quality without most 'extras')
And even a weekly 3hr band rehearsal is going to need a higher/more expensive plan ... .

This seems a little overenthusiastic in these Covid19 days, where musicians are making next to no money.
But, we don't know if this is actually going to be implemented anytime soon.
Let's wait and see. Hopefully there will be some communication from the devs one of these days.
I play 3 hours a night mostly. I tried to find the rates online but haven't seen anything except for some screen grabs on facebook. I would expect them to email us all to explain how things will be improved and introduce the rate system. I did donate to the go fund me campaign but figure that was all voluntary. Personally, I thought JK would be better and more sustainable as a paid service. Is it official? Why is it not clear on the app website?
(10-26-2020, 03:24 PM)frank visconti Wrote: I play 3 hours a night mostly.  I tried to find the rates online but haven't seen anything except for some screen grabs on facebook.  I would expect them to email us all to explain how things will be improved and introduce the rate system.  I did donate to the go fund me campaign but figure that was all voluntary.  Personally, I thought JK would be better and more sustainable as a paid service.  Is it official?  Why is it not clear on the app website?
>>>
Here you go:

https://jamkazam.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/66000122535-what-are-jamkazam-s-free-vs-premium-features-

I'm sure eventually there will be some sort of communication regarding these possible upcoming changes. But actual support and communications have been sparse, unfortunately.
Let's hope it's not going to be during the covid19 pandemic. That would dislodge a lot of users to other, free/open source platforms.
(10-26-2020, 07:10 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 03:24 PM)frank visconti Wrote: I play 3 hours a night mostly.  I tried to find the rates online but haven't seen anything except for some screen grabs on facebook.  I would expect them to email us all to explain how things will be improved and introduce the rate system.  I did donate to the go fund me campaign but figure that was all voluntary.  Personally, I thought JK would be better and more sustainable as a paid service.  Is it official?  Why is it not clear on the app website?
>>>
Here you go:

https://jamkazam.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/66000122535-what-are-jamkazam-s-free-vs-premium-features-

I'm sure eventually there will be some sort of communication regarding these possible upcoming changes. But actual support and communications have been sparse, unfortunately.
Let's hope it's not going to be during the covid19 pandemic. That would dislodge a lot of users to other, free/open source platforms.

I say.. not a surprise and understandable. And, for the 10 bucks a month, this is comparable and a better investment then spending money on a few coffee beverages a day. I'd like to see the Gold plan discounted at 100 dollars for a 1 yr plan.  And, I would be willing to pay more if they can show a portion of earnings goes to good causes such as music education to kids, etc.

There are other options out there but don't have the social networking components to them like JK.
(10-27-2020, 12:41 AM)GDJ Wrote:
>>>
Here you go:

I say.. not a surprise and understandable. And, for the 10 bucks a month, this is comparable and a better investment then spending money on a few coffee beverages a day. I'd like to see the Gold plan discounted at 100 dollars for a 1 yr plan.  And, I would be willing to pay more if they can show a portion of earnings goes to good causes such as music education to kids, etc.

There are other options out there but don't have the social networking components to them like JK.

>>>
Choosing between fancy coffees and JKZ is not the issue nor an option for a lot of people (especially musicians) ATM. They are not making any money/have no income due to Covid19 measures. Being able to play together has been a way to keep sane.

"There are other options out there but don't have the social networking components to them like JK." ??

Yes there are and yes they do. The other platforms/apps/programs also have been on the ball for the last 8 months. Rather large communities have developed actually. Including very well organised weekly international open concert/gig nights, fora, websites, FB-groups, etc.

D./
(10-26-2020, 11:26 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 09:28 AM)jschwarz Wrote: Does this mean, for example, that a group of 6 members will need to come up with 6 x 4.99 = 30 $ a month (360 $/year) and 20 choristers (if this size group is even possible with JK) would have to pay 20 x 10 $ monthly = 200 $ or 2400 $ /year? For a modestly-sized amateur chorus this is a non-starter IMHO.
>>>
Looks that way doesn't it?
And then still you can only play 10hr/month. (at low quality without most 'extras')
And even a weekly 3hr band rehearsal is going to need a higher/more expensive plan ... .

This seems a little overenthusiastic in these Covid19 days, where musicians are making next to no money.
But, we don't know if this is actually going to be implemented anytime soon.
Let's wait and see. Hopefully there will be some communication from the devs one of these days.
Hopefully we'll get another update from the JK dev team soon. I'm guessing the paid options are going to support the ongoing cost of the new network acceleration service which they have purchased with the funds we gave them. As they haven't rolled out the last phase of that yet we don't know how robust it's going to be and frankly if it's going to be worth paying for.
(10-27-2020, 09:57 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 12:41 AM)GDJ Wrote:
>>>
Here you go:

>>>
Choosing between fancy coffees and JKZ is not the issue nor an option for a lot of people (especially musicians) ATM. They are not making any money/have no income due to Covid19 measures. Being able to play together has been a way to keep sane.

"There are other options out there but don't have the social networking components to them like JK." ??

Yes there are and yes they do. The other platforms/apps/programs also have been on the ball for the last 8 months. Rather large communities have developed actually. Including very well organised weekly international open concert/gig nights, fora, websites, FB-groups, etc.

D./

Dimitri,

Thank you and i agree. Point well taken.