• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New networking options
Under the Manage menu there are some new path options in Networking:
Peer to Peer, Adaptive, and Jamkazam network.
Can someone explain the differences and reasons to choose one or the other.

Thanks
Hi there,
this is not the clearest of answers but as I understand this:
'Peer to Peer' will create a one-on-one connection using IP addresses of two or more J-K users
'Adaptive' I don't know but, as a very rough guess means using more network frames to reach or
'adapt' an acceptable throughput rate
I am only putting the latter guess up here to get other educated opinions...
(08-17-2020, 06:35 PM)zbook@comcast.net Wrote: Under the Manage menu there are some new path options in Networking:
Peer to Peer, Adaptive, and Jamkazam network.
Can someone explain the differences and reasons to choose one or the other.

Thanks

would appreciate an answer to this question too.

thanks
There are indications that "adaptive" is actually just part of the "peer to peer" technique.

Which is also the most logical.
Playing together on JamKazam (as JamKazam is set up now) will necessarily always be peer-to-peer ...
But confusing it is!

Google-search for peer to peer or adaptive
> https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...CAs&uact=5
I wish the Dev team would post information about these updates. The forum dashboard still shows June 28th 2020 Update!. 

Including the so called lost documentation. People are eager to better understand these new features, etc

I know however, they are busy doing the right thing with achieving stability with jk and giving us better sessions, and lower latency when possible.
as ZBook so elloquently put it: "Can someone explain the differences and reasons to choose one or the other." Basically, I don't really want to know what it is and what it does, I want to know which one should i be using?...
As I so elloquently put it: "Can someone explain the differences and reasons to choose this or that spouse." Well, I don't really want to know what differences there is, I want to know which one should I choose?

When you do not grasp a piece, then there is only speculation left.

Long shot, but even a long shot can hit:

"However, peers in P2P environments are heterogeneous, and differ in resources and demands which may result in a poor streaming experience. This issue may be addressed by enabling adaptive streaming."

> https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Dy...4483d859f9
Adaptive is that the flow of data is continuously (from second to second) adapted to the capacity of the Internet connection.
Less capacity, less data flow. More capacity, more data flow.

That's my conclusion so far - after some research ...
As long as we're guessing, here's what I think:

Peer-to-peer Path lets the Internet backbone determine the routes between clients. May be best if you have low network latencies to most session peers.

JamKazam Network Path uses the new relays JamKazam crowdfunded in May. May be best if you have high network latencies to most session peers.

Adaptive Path Selection automatically chooses from the other options case by case. May be best if you have a mix of low and high network latencies to session peers.
I think these two new options are for use with the new network acceleration service that the JK folks after in the process of rolling out (in the next 4-6 weeks according to their last email update). Right now I think they're just place holders.

Currently JK uses peer to peer connections between all members in a session. The new service, as I understand it, will follow a client-server model using network acceleration through global providers. Amazon and Akamai are two such providers of these kinds of services. Of course JK has to design the backend server side of this and it has to be scalable and be globally available in order to provide reasonable latency connectivity to participating session players.

Of course I could be partially or completely wrong about any or all of this but it's the best I could put together given what little we've been told.