• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edirol/Roland UA-101 ASIO higher latency than WDM
Hello everyone,

I've plugged in my Edirol UA-101 interface in Jamkazam for the first time today.

I've tweaked the ASIO settings for buffer size and I'm on ultimate power settings, but I just get terrible latency numbers:

Latency: 73.86ms
I/O rate 397
Var 5.81

Latency was a whopping 350ms+ before tweaking everything.

Where it gets extremely odd is if I switch to WDM, which should be slower, I then get:

Latency: 20ms
I/O rate 100
Var 0.32

ASIO works fine with Cakewalk, I get no latency. I'm expecting latency in the low teens or even below 10ms.

I've tried it on my other (older and slower) windows 10 PC and I get the same problem.

Does anyone have the same issue? Or any pointers at to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for looking

Fred
Please note that I have used two other ASIO interfaces, a Helix HX Stomp, and a Yamaha THR5 and both had pretty good latency (around 10-20ms)
Hi, I didn't get much replies, but in case someone reads this further down the line, I managed to make it work - barely:

-I lowered the audio buffer size to the minimum (1), and clicking "Use Smaller ASIO Buffer Size" in the UA-101 driver settings
-I set frame size at 1 in Jamkazam

I then get an ok-ish 16ms latency which puts me in the orange category. Still not perfect. But workeable.
(03-05-2021, 12:22 PM)frednat Wrote: Hi, I didn't get much replies, but in case someone reads this further down the line, I managed to make it work - barely:

-I lowered the audio buffer size to the minimum (1), and clicking "Use Smaller ASIO Buffer Size" in the UA-101 driver settings

I then get an ok-ish 16ms latency which puts me in the orange category. Still not perfect. But workeable.
I believe the UA-101 is a discontinued product which won't have an optimized driver. Did you look at the JK recommended audio interface list?
(03-11-2021, 01:08 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 12:22 PM)frednat Wrote: Hi, I didn't get much replies, but in case someone reads this further down the line, I managed to make it work - barely:

I believe the UA-101 is a discontinued product which won't have an optimized driver. Did you look at the JK recommended audio interface list?
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the middle of getting a new one. I'm hesitating between the MOTU M2 and the Presonus 24c/26c. I'm hearing people are very happy with the 24c and latencies were super low (4ms). The MOTU M2 has better audio qualities, however some of the tests by Julian Krause showed that latency was a bit higher. MOTU M2 are also very hard to find!
(03-11-2021, 02:05 PM)frednat Wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I'm in the middle of getting a new one. I'm hesitating between the MOTU M2 and the Presonus 24c/26c. I'm hearing people are very happy with the 24c and latencies were super low (4ms). The MOTU M2 has better audio qualities, however some of the tests by Julian Krause showed that latency was a bit higher. MOTU M2 are also very hard to find!
I can vouch for the MOTU M2. We used several of these. The only caveat is that if you're using them on MAC systems you'll need to load their Thunderbolt driver and that's means your MAC has to have those ports. Otherwise the latency won't be as good as it could be.
(03-12-2021, 05:01 PM)StuartR Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 02:05 PM)frednat Wrote:

I can vouch for the MOTU M2. We used several of these. The only caveat is that if you're using them on MAC systems you'll need to load their Thunderbolt driver and that's means your MAC has to have those ports. Otherwise the latency won't be as good as it could be.
Thanks Stuart, I'm setting it the MOTU as I type!

The main problem with the UA-101 is even though there is a Win 10 driver, the lowest number of samples is 112 (vs 16 for the MOTU M2, or even 4 for the Tascam 102i!).  I think that's where my latency comes from. Ideally I'd be able to hack the driver and for the number of samples lower.