• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does This work for anyone???
(07-23-2020, 10:35 PM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: `Bypassing` UK:

770 miles - Dublin, Ireland = 30 milliseconds
Speaking as a Brit ....One big ‘problem’ with the UK Internet (lets just forget all about the other problems with UK for a while) is that most of the internet is still based on the old ‘twisted pair’ telephone cables and switching circuits.   Really great in its day - but that day was sometime in 1963 (possibly ‘late September’)! ... but not designed to deal with all the data traffic - especially now everyone is streaming video.

Yes - we had a ‘fibre roll-out’ about 20 years ago - but that really concentrated on the bigger cities and the towns around the south - the company who laid the cable went broke and has been bought a few times over .... but still seems to use the same servers.  So the ‘system’ is a bit of a mess.  What we have works well for data (but slowly if your are well into the countryside and a good rule of thumb is ‘if you have a good view - you dont need good internet’) ... and there is significant latency before you start processing audio.

I get 11.5ms latency to my ISP server ..... anything else is on top of that.  I have taken part in 4 ‘jammer’ JK sessions with total latency reported of 35 ms ... that all worked just fine

Far East, Scandinavia, Germany, Holland & most of US Installed a complete fibre system for data (or are still doing so) ... colleagues in those places get ISP latency in 3-4ms range.  Africa, India, South America are poorly served at present - mostly they use WiFi services or Satellite based internet - this has much higher latency.  ... local connections can be better.
(07-22-2020, 10:26 PM)Larry J Wrote: Thank you for your reply Hans and believe me I really want to make this work. I'm using a Dell Latitude Laptop computer. 2.4 GHz, 8 GB of ram. I have Cox Gigablast internet and typically have 650 to 750 Mbps download speeds and 35 Mbps upload. I upgraded my service specifically for Jamkazam. I was originally using my Zoom H6 as an audio interface but purchased a Steinberg UR22 mk2 to see if that would help with the problems I'm having. I plug directly into and Ethernet port. I've watched all the videos and tweaked all the settings per their instructions. The main issue I seem to be having is with input and output jitter. My latency holds steady at 8.1 but the jitter bounces around from 0 (green dots) to 145 or more (red dots). Can't seem to find what the cause is for the inconsistency. I have only tested this with one other person that has similar equipment and similar problems. I would love for someone to shed some light on how to proceed.
Just saw your post Larry. Since you are using Windows there's a lot you can do to improve your jitter. As I've mentioned in other posts, you have to tune Windows to get it to prioritize the handling of realtime audio packets. You'll also need a good hardware based audio interface with a matching Windows ASIO driver. Assuming for a moment you have the requisite audio interface and driver, it's time to make some changes to your Windows machine. If it's a laptop you'll need to run it with AC power applied (never on battery) and be sure you've set your Windows Power plan to "High performance". There's more to do but that's a start.

Grab a copy of LatencyMon (link below), install it and run it for at least 5 minutes on the Windows machine you'll use for JK. It will tell you if your machine can safely handle realtime audio without dropouts. If it can't then follow the guidelines in the Glitchfree document (link below) and then rerun LatencyMon until things improve. Let us know how it goes!

https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/der23us3icbbkn...e.pdf?dl=1
Thanks for the 'Glitch Free' paper - should be useful in massaging my laptop in to an audio friendly shape for J-K.

On the subject of twisted-pair (ADSL) internet - don't knock it. ADSL unlike 'hybrid' broadband is not a shared service i.e. the bandwidth from your ISP is yours alone.

An aside comment on broadband connectivity - because I care!
- the very best scenario is fibre-optics direct to your router
- here in Australia and many other countries users end up with hybrid broadband:
i.e. fibre-optics to the curb (a street distribution point) and over coax of twisted pair (copper) to the modems
- on coaxes the bandwidth is shared with up to 8 users max per cable (to guarantee minimum service level i.e. around 15Mbs)
- on twisted pairs, because of the VDSL2 technology used for signal modulation, there is a lot of interference from adjacent cables
- a big problem in UK, Australia and everywhere else
i.e. when everyone comes home and starts watching netflix or whatever over the internet and the video freezes, signals gets buffered, etc
- us, poor J-K users are on the receiving end of this too
- and since changing of telecomms networks is next to impossible, fine-tuning computer performance is the next best thing
So, thanks again for the links!