• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Crackling in headphones
[color=var(--primary-text)]Hello. Please need advice for Mac crackling in headphones.  I'm hearing crackling when Audio Framesize is 10 or less. 2018 15" MacbookPro, Catalina 10.15, Analog Behringer 1002FX into M-Audio 192|4. Ethernet direct from modem through USBC dongle. (no wifi) Happens on either my minijack Bowers & Wilkins or OneOdio headphones which are plugged in from Macbook. Tried resetting PRAM. No ASIO driver to adjust as there are no plug ins needed on mac. When tweaking Audio Booster, I tried 128K. Anything above 10ms there is NO crackling however, but I indicate red and not able to join some sessions. In test with uncle, he cannot hear crackling. As an alternative to plugging headphones from MacBook, When I try to use headphones from 192|4, and adjust output source to that from jamkazaam, I only get out of one channel, not stereo. Tried many combinations from audio gear setup. My modem speed test is 115mbps, again, ethernet straight from modem to laptop. Thoughts would be appreciated. thank you in advance.[/color]
it's not your headphones. Sounds like you are starting to identify the right place. The booster settings, and bit rate and audio frame. Those are you choices to get rid of the crackling.
(07-13-2020, 03:09 AM)GDJ Wrote: it's not your headphones. Sounds like you are starting to identify the right place. The booster settings, and bit rate and audio frame. Those are you choices to get rid of the crackling.

Thank you. Ive tried all the variations in the booster to no success. The problem is I cant join a session at 10ms where I finally hear limited crackling. I have to adjust booster to 5ms to be let in, and its more crackle. When I use headphone in M-audio 192/4, I only get out of one headphone side when I make output the same source as input. The m-Audio only has a ¼ inch jack, so I'm forced to use a mini to ¼ jack adapter which is stereo. I keep reading the crackling is a mac core processor and issue with my 2018 MacBook pro, but with the new operating system, there is no longer a core audio I can quit and restart from activity monitor anymore. any other thoughts? Im going to explore sample rates. I noticed in another forum discussion.... - PASTE FROM OTHER DICUSSION--->.."(I think I have a similar problem. Matched my own sample rate with the Mac Audio Midi setup. (Scarlett 2i4) Everything is fine when I play solo. Getting the popping / clicking from my friend's feed; could be mis matched sample rates with them (as mentioned above?) which I will try to fix next time;"........ END). so that being said, it may be sample rates which I cant control in sound booster, and unlike a PC which has ASIO where you can tweak (mac does not). using this mac Midi utility maybe what I need.
I am working with a group of classical musicians to do some live chamber music.  We have been struggling with the 'Popping and Cracking" issue all along.  We are all on Mac OS machines of various ilks.  Operating systems are all at either High Sierra or Catalina.  All are on Focusrite products, with one exception who is on a Blue Yeti.

One thing to try would be to install the Focusrite Low Latency Installer.  While we did not necessarily notice a huge difference, it did not do any harm.  Here's the link to the article and the download link:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/a...ces-on-Mac

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

M
(07-13-2020, 10:41 PM)Oboist Wrote: I am working with a group of classical musicians to do some live chamber music.  We have been struggling with the 'Popping and Cracking" issue all along.  We are all on Mac OS machines of various ilks.  Operating systems are all at either High Sierra or Catalina.  All are on Focusrite products, with one exception who is on a Blue Yeti.

One thing to try would be to install the Focusrite Low Latency Installer.  While we did not necessarily notice a huge difference, it did not do any harm.  Here's the link to the article and the download link:

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

M

Actually it DID seem to work, thanks so much! No more crackling.
(07-14-2020, 12:02 AM)bguit1 Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 10:41 PM)Oboist Wrote: I am working with a group of classical musicians to do some live chamber music.  We have been struggling with the 'Popping and Cracking" issue all along.  We are all on Mac OS machines of various ilks.  Operating systems are all at either High Sierra or Catalina.  All are on Focusrite products, with one exception who is on a Blue Yeti.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

M

Actually it DID seem to work, thanks so much! No more crackling.
Awesome!!! Glad to be of help!  Have Fun!
Glad you're getting it figured out with some other help. I will add, I too have an even older Retina MB, running on Sierra, with a MOTU interface which has it's own driver.  I noticed that in lower framerate settings in JK, when scrolling or navigating the computer i hear a lot of scratchiness. I know what it is, and I put some of the fault on the JK app. Since, I do not have any issues in my DAWs when using the driver. And, since we know there won't be a complete re-write of JK soon, here's what I did instead, to keep my CPU processing low and it's how I use JK all the time. And yes I still get the scratchiness but at least i brought my CPU processing way down. 

Improving Performance with a Bootable JamKazam Os Drive

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.ph...light=boot