• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choosing a mic for jamkazam
I sing with a couple of friends and they're constantly telling me to be louder.  We've adjusted all kinds of settings but the problem remains.  I have a SHURE SM58, (currently on a desktop stand) and find I have to almost eat the mic to get a satisfactory volume.  This gets in the way of my guitar, which already bangs on my computer desk. 
Can anyone recommend a mic that I can use at a greater distance? I'm willing the spend the money within reason. 
(06-22-2020, 06:16 PM)Val Wrote: I sing with a couple of friends and they're constantly telling me to be louder.  We've adjusted all kinds of settings but the problem remains.  I have a SHURE SM58, (currently on a desktop stand) and find I have to almost eat the mic to get a satisfactory volume.  This gets in the way of my guitar, which already bangs on my computer desk. 
Can anyone recommend a mic that I can use at a greater distance? I'm willing the spend the money within reason. 
Need some detailed information. What audio interface are you using and how is the mic connected?
You need to make sure that Mic is plugged into a high impedance/pre-amped input to give it some juice. This is typically Channel 1/2 of the Audio Interface with the XLR, or, if you have mixer, the first couple of channels. You will need to give it gain. It's a very quiet Mic, wonderful too. I have one.
(06-23-2020, 04:40 AM)GDJ Wrote: You need to make sure that Mic is plugged into a high impedance/pre-amped input to give it some juice. This is typically Channel 1/2 of the Audio Interface with the XLR, or, if you have mixer, the first couple of channels. You will need to give it gain. It's a very quiet Mic, wonderful too. I have one.
Agreed. These are industry standard mics and will work just fine if properly interfaced.