• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to JamKazam and no audio even on setup
(06-04-2020, 01:17 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>
Hi Charlie,

Annoying not to be able to get it going.
Now, from your two times remark "no sound/audio on/from the mac", I'm under the impression you are expecting your mac speakers/headphone output to give you your JKZ return audio signal?
If so, that is not how the signal is supposed to flow. Your headphones should be attached to the headphones output of your Focusrite.
In JKZ you choose your Focusrite as both input and output device.

And do bear in mind that you will only hear your 6i6's output when either in 'audio gear setup [play] test' or when 'in a session' - when everything is setup correctly, so 'local monitoring' switched off. (USB playback only)

NB - the 'record' button is rather nondescript in its functioning. It will record - when pushed in a session - and save its results when 'stopped'. It is not however, any means of testing your success in setting up your gear.
Thanks Dimitri, that makes sense.  I assumed JamKazam had a way of playing back from the laptop.  I don't have the right kind of headphones but will get some so I can monitor.  I'm still puzzled about playback though - once I've recorded some music, does that also play back through the Focusrite?
(06-04-2020, 08:04 AM)charlie.i Wrote:
Hi Charlie,

Now, from your two times remark "no sound/audio on/from the mac", I'm under the impression you are expecting your mac speakers/headphone output to give you your JKZ return audio signal?
If so, that is not how the signal is supposed to flow. Your headphones should be attached to the headphones output of your Focusrite.

And do bear in mind that you will only hear your 6i6's output when either in 'audio gear setup [play] test' or when 'in a session' - when everything is setup correctly, so 'local monitoring' switched off. (USB playback only)

NB - the 'record' button is rather nondescript in its functioning. It will record - when pushed in a session - and save its results when 'stopped'. It is not however, any means of testing your success in setting up your gear.
Thanks Dimitri, that makes sense.  I assumed JamKazam had a way of playing back from the laptop.  I don't have the right kind of headphones but will get some so I can monitor.  I'm still puzzled about playback though - once I've recorded some music, does that also play back through the Focusrite?

>>>
Yessir! it will.
Basically you create a loop/circle for your audio to travel. So, when not in a session the circle is not complete.

But! Additionally, recordings can also be played back locally (in several ways) but let's get you playing first, without complicating matters any more.

NB - you keep mentioning 'recording' though. If that is in general what you are looking for I would suggest to keep it local/on your mac altogether. With something like e.g. Reaper/Audacity/Logic/etc.
(06-04-2020, 09:28 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
Hi Charlie,

>>>
Yessir! it will.
Basically you create a loop/circle for your audio to travel. So, when not in a session the circle is not complete.

But! Additionally, recordings can also be played back locally (in several ways) but let's get you playing first, without complicating matters any more.

NB - you keep mentioning 'recording' though. If that is in general what you are looking for I would suggest to keep it local/on your mac altogether. With something like e.g. Reaper/Audacity/Logic/etc.
The plan is to rehearse with the rest of my band, but I wanted to try and make it work for me first before putting them to the trouble of downloading jamKazam.  It's not that simple!  I just though it would be fun to multitrack.  But once I can hear myself back I can get the other guys involved.
(06-04-2020, 09:43 AM)charlie.i Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 09:28 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
Hi Charlie,

>>>
Yessir! it will.

The plan is to rehearse with the rest of my band, but I wanted to try and make it work for me first before putting them to the trouble of downloading jamKazam.  It's not that simple!  I just though it would be fun to multitrack.  But once I can hear myself back I can get the other guys involved.

>>>
If you guys need any 'online in session' assistance, I'm sure we could figure something out.
Good stuff.. so what is the resolution so others can understand this clearly?

You were not not monitoring via the Interface Headphone output?
Update. I installed Catalina on a separate boot OS with JK, and no audio by default. Need to check JK for the microphone in Privacy settings...

Sticky document coming soon.

GDJ
Just to round off this thread, it was mostly my stupidity, though it's not immediately obvious what to do when you first set up. Thanks to the various contributions I realised that playback HAS to be though the audio interface - in my case the Focusrite Scarlet 616.  That means monitoring through headphones.  It also means using the Focusrite app - it didn't work without it.
Thanks for the advice.  I now have lovely clear audio in and out.
Charlie
(06-08-2020, 08:09 AM)charlie.i Wrote: Just to round off this thread, it was mostly my stupidity, though it's not immediately obvious what to do when you first set up. Thanks to the various contributions I realised that playback HAS to be though the audio interface - in my case the Focusrite Scarlet 616.  That means monitoring through headphones.  It also means using the Focusrite app - it didn't work without it.
Thanks for the advice.  I now have lovely clear audio in and out.
Charlie
>>>
Fab!
Enjoy!
This is good thread in that it helped motivate us to put together a document for Mac Users.

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=1129
Interesting turn of events with a good friend who is suddenly having this issue. Since I'm closely involved in assisting with their setup, their problem started immediately after installing the June 28th update.

Whether they start their own, or are invited to a session, they cannot here themselves through JK. Headphones are connected from the BEHRINGER UMC202HD. There is no BEHRINGER driver for Mac. It uses the mac core drivers. We deleted and reconfigured the Audio Device in JK. Verified, it's configured correctly in Audio MIDI setup. Since this is Sierra there is not privacy security settings to add the app. Something changed immediately after the update!

In the session, the track is active and a very minor amount of signal bleed detected. Audio Configuration was reset.

The BEHRINGER AI is showing a signal coming in and the audio is heard when turning off Direct Monitoring.

More to come but the next steps are:

Verify whether audio is passing to Logic
If so, we may delete all JK related files and perform a clean install.

Stay tuned.