• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Audio Grayed Out
Is anyone else having this issue? I have everything almost perfect. Session Diagnostics are all green. Latency 4.2 ms. I can see other sessions but when I join open ones their audio appears but it is grayed out and I can't hear them. It is the same at their end. My audio is grayed out. Then I get the attached error message that Jamkazam is not receiving audio packets. I'm using a Windows 10 laptop but it is the same problem on my Windows 7 laptop. I've bypassed my TPLink router and directly connected through the modem.  Still no audio. What setting on Jamkazam did I miss?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi there, first timer here, trying a session with a friend. I'm greyed out and can't be heard, but I can hear them OK. The system helpfully lets us both know this fact... I'm using a Yamaha MG16XU mixer as my interface to a MacBook Pro cabled directly to a Telstra Smartmodem. Any of the million potential culprits more likely than others?
(04-10-2020, 06:37 AM)gregthesavage Wrote: Hi there, first timer here, trying a session with a friend. I'm greyed out and can't be heard, but I can hear them OK. The system helpfully lets us both know this fact... I'm using a Yamaha MG16XU mixer as my interface to a MacBook Pro cabled directly to a Telstra Smartmodem. Any of the million potential culprits more likely than others?
UDP enabled in router?
(04-10-2020, 06:37 AM)gregthesavage Wrote: Hi there, first timer here, trying a session with a friend. I'm greyed out and can't be heard, but I can hear them OK. The system helpfully lets us both know this fact... I'm using a Yamaha MG16XU mixer as my interface to a MacBook Pro cabled directly to a Telstra Smartmodem. Any of the million potential culprits more likely than others?
Greg, I'm new to this too but it sounds like you are ahead of me since you can here audio from the other side. I assume you hear yourself when you try a solo session so that would mean the mixer and the Mac are working correctly. So something in your router is letting sound in but blocking it from going out.  Try doing what Dimitri suggested and look into the UDP settings and make sure they are enabled.

(04-10-2020, 11:12 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
UDP enabled in router?
Dimitri, I'm in the TP Link router. Their is no Section for UDP. But it shows up in Forwarding under Virtual Servers Add New where there is a choice under Protocol of All TCP or UDP. It looks complicated to proceed from there. I was hoping just a simple enable disable choice on UDP 

I'm not sure the problem is the router. I bypassed it and plugged directly into the ISP's modem.  Still audio was grayed out when I tried to join sessions. Could it be that my ISP has blocked the audio packets from leaving or entering their system?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-10-2020, 04:29 PM)David G Wrote:
Greg, I'm new to this too but it sounds like you are ahead of me since you can here audio from the other side. I assume you hear yourself when you try a solo session so that would mean the mixer and the Mac are working correctly. So something in your router is letting sound in but blocking it from going out.  Try doing what Dimitri suggested and look into the UDP settings and make sure they are enabled.

UDP enabled in router?
Dimitri, I'm in the TP Link router. Their is no Section for UDP. But it shows up in Forwarding under Virtual Servers Add New where there is a choice under Protocol of All TCP or UDP. It looks complicated to proceed from there. I was hoping just a simple enable disable choice on UDP 

I'm not sure the problem is the router. I bypassed it and plugged directly into the ISP's modem.  Still audio was grayed out when I tried to join sessions. Could it be that my ISP has blocked the audio packets from leaving or entering their system?

A friend of mine is having the same issue.  He can hear himself on Mac, but he's grayed out to me.  At one point we could hear each other through another user, but we were still both gray to each other.  We also tired using backing track and it was crazy loud.
After working out UDP port forwarding on our routers, I (PC Win10) started a session with my bass player (MacBook Pro). We could hear ourselves and see each other in the session but with grayed out tracks. We tried clicking the RESYNC button on the session toolbar and this fixed our issue.
I'm having this problem. I set up my Apple Router for port forwarding by following some online instructions. Hasn't solved the problem. Is there anything else anyone can suggest that I look into?
[attachment=51 Wrote:Dimitri Muskens pid='852' dateline='1586517122']
UDP enabled in router?
Thanks Dimitri. The only mention of UDP in my modem/router manual is in a section on port forwarding, which scares me as it requires me telling it which port (or range of ports) I'd like to use. How on earth would I know?! BTW my Mac is etherneted directly into the cable modem/router.

[attachment=52 Wrote:gregthesavage pid='912' dateline='1586566272']
UDP enabled in router?
Thanks Dimitri. The only mention of UDP in my modem/router manual is in a section on port forwarding, which scares me as it requires me telling it which port (or range of ports) I'd like to use. How on earth would I know?! BTW my Mac is etherneted directly into the cable modem/router.
Hmmm, interesting! I've just checked my modem settings again and it's now showing a UDP setting that wasn't there yesterday (see attached). That I didn't explicitly set... Maybe it works now--I'm waiting my friend to come back online to rerun the test session. Probably in an hour or so--just thought I'd put my query on hold there so no-one wastes time responding if the problem's fixed.
(04-11-2020, 12:51 AM)gregthesavage Wrote:
UDP enabled in router?

(04-11-2020, 12:51 AM)gregthesavage Wrote:
UDP enabled in router?
Hmmm, interesting! I've just checked my modem settings again and it's now showing a UDP setting that wasn't there yesterday (see attached). That I didn't explicitly set... Maybe it works now--I'm waiting my friend to come back online to rerun the test session. Probably in an hour or so--just thought I'd put my query on hold there so no-one wastes time responding if the problem's fixed.

Is there a playstation (PS4) in your household? (that would explain UDP 9308)

Port forwarding is not too scary. The app suggest 12000 (-through 12010) a 'save' range. Not too much there in most networks. So forward that range to the dedicated !wired! IP of the machine you're running jkz on.
Then in the 'menage' part of jkz tick the box 'Always use the same UDP ports'. In [Networking -> Configure Port Preferences] You could use/try other portranges, as long as you forward the same ports to your machine that you configure in the app.
[Image: WIK2CAz.png]I'm in a similar situation.  My utility for configuring my router does not seem to allow me a range of ports for forwarding.  So I chose 12000 in JKZ, and then configured my router like this.  Is this correct?