• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JK keeps resetting Presonus buffer size to 16
Two different computers/audio-interfaces with the same problem.

1. Windows 7-64bit with Presonus USB 96
2. Windows 8.1 64-biti with Presonus Studio 26c

Using the Presonus ASIO control program called Universal Control (UC) I set the block size (Presonus's term for buffer size) to 128 (or 256, or whatever).

As soon as I go into JK and start/enter a session the block size is reset to 16. 16 is too small for good audio performance.

I tried to downgrade the Presonus Universal Control and driver to an earlier version but the later one won't uninstall completely - it looks like it uninstalled but when I then install and older version and start it and check the "about" is still lists the later version and the begavior hasn't changed.

I 'could' rewind Windows back to a pristine state (though I'd lose some stuff) and then install the older program and driver (which I believe worked correctly with JK) but I'd like to not have to do this.

I don't understand why JK keeps resetting the block(buffer) size.

Any ideas?

Thanks
"16 is too small for good audio performance". Not sure I agree with this statement, unless it's impacting the ability of your processor to manage the audio, and/or leading to increased jitter. I know it doesn't answer your question, but personally I'd look elsewhere if you are having audio quality issues...
(12-19-2020, 05:55 PM)Terles Wrote: "16 is too small for good audio performance". Not sure I agree with this statement, unless it's impacting the ability of your processor to manage the audio, and/or leading to increased jitter.  I know it doesn't answer your question, but personally I'd look elsewhere if you are having audio quality issues...
Terles - Block size of 16 is not optimal for my laptops with my audio interfaces when using JamKazam. I'm not here to debate this. You suggest to "look elsewhere" - can you suggest some resources?

I am asking this question in this forum because I suspect other Presonus users may have experienced this same issue. I see other posts from owners of other brands of audio equipment also complaining that JK keeps resetting their buffer sizes as well.

So the question remains (for JK itself as well as the JK community at large): Does anybody know of a solution that will prevent JK from changing my Presonus block size to 16 every time I start/enter a session (or hit resync)?

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.
(12-19-2020, 08:23 PM)SammerJammer Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 05:55 PM)Terles Wrote: "16 is too small for good audio performance". Not sure I agree with this statement, unless it's impacting the ability of your processor to manage the audio, and/or leading to increased jitter.  I know it doesn't answer your question, but personally I'd look elsewhere if you are having audio quality issues...
Terles - Block size of 16 is not optimal for my laptops with my audio interfaces when using JamKazam. I'm not here to debate this. You suggest to "look elsewhere" - can you suggest some resources?

I am asking this question in this forum because I suspect other Presonus users may have experienced this same issue. I see other posts from owners of other brands of audio equipment also complaining that JK keeps resetting their buffer sizes as well.

So the question remains (for JK itself as well as the JK community at large): Does anybody know of a solution that will prevent JK from changing my Presonus block size to 16 every time I start/enter a session (or hit resync)?

Have you tried setting the optimal buffer size using the ASIO control panel button while in the JK setup screen? Or is that what you are doing now?
(12-19-2020, 08:56 PM)StuartR Wrote:

Have you tried setting the optimal buffer size using the ASIO control panel button while in the JK setup screen? Or is that what you are doing now?
Yes. The ASIO program and GUI is supplied by Presonus. It is called Universal Controller. Clicking 'ASIO Control Panel' inside of JK or any ASIO compliant application opens the Universal Controller as it should. I can change the buffer all I want but at as soon as I enter a session it is reset to 16. I can change it again even when in a session but then I see JK 're-initializing' my audio interface (or something to that effect - the message appears above the JK icon in the system tray but disappears quickly) and then the buffer is reset to 16 right before my eyes.

I know another person with same problem with JK and Presonus interface who could not get by this and instead abandoned JK and moved to another platform (where his equipment runs correctly).
If you have a DAW, open it and set your buffer size there, then run JamKazam and it should stick to what you set in the DAW. What do you have your Outgoing Bitrate set to (under Manage/ Audio Settings/ Audio Frame size)? The higher that number, the better your audio quality.
(12-19-2020, 09:08 PM)SammerJammer Wrote:

Yes. The ASIO program and GUI is supplied by Presonus. It is called Universal Controller. Clicking 'ASIO Control Panel' inside of JK or any ASIO compliant application opens the Universal Controller as it should. I can change the buffer all I want but at as soon as I enter a session it is reset to 16. I can change it again even when in a session but then I see JK 're-initializing' my audio interface (or something to that effect - the message appears above the JK icon in the system tray but disappears quickly) and then the buffer is reset to 16 right before my eyes.

I know another person with same problem with JK and Presonus interface who could not get by this and instead abandoned JK and moved to another platform (where his equipment runs correctly).
Actually a buffer size of 16 with the correct sample rate provides excellent latency and audio quality for many audio interfaces. For example, a MOTU M2 provides a latency of just 3.5 msecs with a sample size of 41k and a buffer size of 16.
(12-20-2020, 05:38 AM)StuartR Wrote:

Actually a buffer size of 16 with the correct sample rate provides excellent latency and audio quality for many audio interfaces. For example, a MOTU M2 provides a latency of just 3.5 msecs with a sample size of 41k and a buffer size of 16.
Well that's great - if I had a MOTU M2. Blocksize of 16 on these Presonus boxes at 41.1 or 48.0 sample rate does not provide consistent audio performance with JK. They work better at 64 or 128. The real issue is that the buffer keeps getting reset. Is it the new Presonus driver responding improperly to an 'ASIO reset' request from JK, or has JK only recently added an 'ASIO reset' to it's processing?

I am going to try the suggestion of first opening a DAW and "locking in" my ASIO settings before invoking JK. I shouldn't have to do this but first priority is to find a workaround. I would like to see the real problem - the reset - acknowledged or rebuked by a JK engineer who knows the codebase.
(12-20-2020, 08:04 PM)SammerJammer Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 08:23 PM)SammerJammer Wrote: Terles - Block size of 16 is not optimal for my laptops with my audio interfaces when using JamKazam. I'm not here to debate this. You suggest to "look elsewhere" - can you suggest some resources?

Well that's great - if I had a MOTU M2. Blocksize of 16 on these Presonus boxes at 41.1 or 48.0 sample rate does not provide consistent audio performance with JK. They work better at 64 or 128. The real issue is that the buffer keeps getting reset. Is it the new Presonus driver responding improperly to an 'ASIO reset' request from JK, or has JK only recently added an 'ASIO reset' to it's processing?

I am going to try the suggestion of first opening a DAW and "locking in" my ASIO settings before invoking JK. I shouldn't have to do this but first priority is to find a workaround. I would like to see the real problem - the reset - acknowledged or rebuked by a JK engineer who knows the codebase.
Let them know at: support@Jamkazam.com

Here's a quote from their knowledge base about the Prosonus USB96: "the Presonus Audiobox delivers 5ms latency for just $100, again with all the features you'd expect"
(12-21-2020, 02:18 AM)StuartR Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 08:04 PM)SammerJammer Wrote:
(12-19-2020, 08:56 PM)StuartR Wrote: Have you tried setting the optimal buffer size using the ASIO control panel button while in the JK setup screen? Or is that what you are doing now?

Let them know at: support@Jamkazam.com

Here's a quote from their knowledge base about the Prosonus USB96: "the Presonus Audiobox delivers 5ms latency for just $100, again with all the features you'd expect"
Have you tried a different asio driver, maybe asio4all ?  http://www.asio4all.org/