• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recording separate tracks
Is there a possibility of enabling JK to record two discrete incoming tracks from other musicians rather than a pre-mixed mono signal? This would provide much more ability in the remixing process. As it is now if the original mix isn't right it can't be altered later.
(11-19-2020, 10:19 PM)jeffrey.e.farley@gmail.com Wrote: Is there a possibility of enabling JK to record two discrete incoming tracks from other musicians rather than a pre-mixed mono signal? This would provide much more ability in the remixing process. As it is now if the original mix isn't right it can't be altered later.
This isn't a new feature. I've been recording JK sessions since I started using the program/system in March 2020. Individual tracks are saved as OGG files with indecipherable file names, but there are individual tracks saved for every player in the session. It will take some time to upload and download the files, so you have to have everyone in the session leave the session, but stay logged into JK until the File Manager says all of the files have been compiled and delivered. Recently, JK added a "Keep WAVE Files" under the Manage/AudioBooster+ screen. That saves all of the high resolution (48KHz/24 bit) audio files in their uncompressed format on your system.
T.W. Day
Minnesota, USA
(12-01-2020, 04:04 AM)TWDay72 Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 10:19 PM)jeffrey.e.farley@gmail.com Wrote: Is there a possibility of enabling JK to record two discrete incoming tracks from other musicians rather than a pre-mixed mono signal? This would provide much more ability in the remixing process. As it is now if the original mix isn't right it can't be altered later.
This isn't a new feature. I've been recording JK sessions since I started using the program/system in March 2020. Individual tracks are saved as OGG files with indecipherable file names, but there are individual tracks saved for every player in the session. It will take some time to upload and download the files, so you have to have everyone in the session leave the session, but stay logged into JK until the File Manager says all of the files have been compiled and delivered. Recently, JK added a "Keep WAVE Files" under the Manage/AudioBooster+ screen. That saves all of the high resolution (48KHz/24 bit) audio files in their uncompressed format on your system.

Actually, you don't have to wait for uploads: the files are stored on your own hard drive immediately after you close a recording. Search for a folder called "JamKazam" (on my Mac it's in the Music folder). It will be full of cryptically-named folders each of which contains a discrete recording. I know what they are by date and time, and after the session, I'll move what I need to the drive I really want it on and give each track a comprehensible name.

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA USA
(12-04-2020, 07:38 PM)cah329a Wrote:

Actually, you don't have to wait for uploads: the files are stored on your own hard drive immediately after you close a recording. Search for a folder called "JamKazam" (on my Mac it's in the Music folder). It will be full of cryptically-named folders each of which contains a discrete recording. I know what they are by date and time, and after the session, I'll move what I need to the drive I really want it on and give each track a comprehensible name.

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have done the same thing with the files saved "secretly" on my computer, moved them to another location and moved into DAW. But, I think the tracks uploaded later in the background are suppose to be clearer and possibly separated (voice and guitar separately) while the files you are referencing still have all other participants' multiple tracks mixed together. But I am STILL waiting for lots of tracks to get finished, even ones where all of the original tracks have uploaded.
Larry
Bassman9952@gmail.com
(12-05-2020, 06:16 PM)lconway Wrote:

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I have done the same thing with the files saved "secretly" on my computer, moved them to another location and moved into DAW. But, I think the tracks uploaded later in the background are suppose to be clearer and possibly separated (voice and guitar separately) while the files you are referencing still have all other participants' multiple tracks mixed together. But I am STILL waiting for lots of tracks to get finished, even ones where all of the original tracks have uploaded.

No, on my hard drive I get a separate track for each participant PLUS a "mix track" that has everyone. The "mixed" track isn't very good in our experience.  We just take the individual tracks and mix them in a DAW as we please.

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA
The later tracks that arrive are not just one for each participant--they are one for each instrument or microphone. One of my band members sings, plays accordion and the bass buttons of the accordion are wired for midi which is connected to a bass synth. The track available straight after session is mix of all three things but, some time after the session, three separate files arrive for voice, accordion and bass. At least they are supposed to, but my JK setup is currently refusing to upload or download any tracks!!
(12-05-2020, 08:21 PM)cah329a Wrote:

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA USA

No, on my hard drive I get a separate track for each participant PLUS a "mix track" that has everyone. The "mixed" track isn't very good in our experience.  We just take the individual tracks and mix them in a DAW as we please.

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA
Cindy, let me be sure I am clear what I am saying. First, there is a streaming mix of all tracks. It's terrible, lots of distortion, etc.

Then, there MY tracks. In one group there is my vocal and my drums as separate tracks. In the other there is my vocal and a separate track for my bass.

However, the track for the other players are TOGETHER (guitar AND voice, bass AND voice), not separate and mixable. No way to decrease the guitar while keeping their voice up or vice-versa. I can mix MY tracks, and I can mix them against the other COMBINED track for each player, but I cannot mix the guitarist's vocals separately from his guitar. Supposedly, when the Final mix comes together, the tracks will ALL be separate and mixable so I can control all voices and instruments individually (8 separate tracks instead of 5 tracks).

Now, if I am incorrect about what to expect, let me know. But I know that I cannot separate the guitar from vocal for the other players even in DAW.

Did I explain my issue better?

(12-05-2020, 09:15 PM)SteveW Wrote: The later tracks that arrive are not just one for each participant--they are one for each instrument or microphone. One of my band members sings, plays accordion  and the bass buttons of the accordion are wired for midi which is connected to a bass synth. The track available straight after session is mix of all three things but, some time after the session, three separate files arrive for voice, accordion and bass. At least they are supposed to, but my JK setup is currently refusing to upload or download any tracks!!
Exactly! I should have read your response before I wrote mine. Thanks.
Larry
Bassman9952@gmail.com
(12-05-2020, 10:53 PM)lconway Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 04:04 AM)TWDay72 Wrote: This isn't a new feature. I've been recording JK sessions since I started using the program/system in March 2020. Individual tracks are saved as OGG files with indecipherable file names, but there are individual tracks saved for every player in the session. It will take some time to upload and download the files, so you have to have everyone in the session leave the session, but stay logged into JK until the File Manager says all of the files have been compiled and delivered. Recently, JK added a "Keep WAVE Files" under the Manage/AudioBooster+ screen. That saves all of the high resolution (48KHz/24 bit) audio files in their uncompressed format on your system.

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA USA

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA
Cindy, let me be sure I am clear what I am saying. First, there is a streaming mix of all tracks. It's terrible, lots of distortion, etc.

Then, there MY tracks. In one group there is my vocal and my drums as separate tracks. In the other there is my vocal and a separate track for my bass.

However, the track for the other players are TOGETHER (guitar AND voice, bass AND voice), not separate and mixable. No way to decrease the guitar while keeping their voice up or vice-versa. I can mix MY tracks, and I can mix them against the other COMBINED track for each player, but I cannot mix the guitarist's vocals separately from his guitar. Supposedly, when the Final mix comes together, the tracks will ALL be separate and mixable so I can control all voices and instruments individually (8 separate tracks instead of 5 tracks).

Now, if I am incorrect about what to expect, let me know. But I know that I cannot separate the guitar from vocal for the other players even in DAW.

(12-05-2020, 09:15 PM)SteveW Wrote: The later tracks that arrive are not just one for each participant--they are one for each instrument or microphone. One of my band members sings, plays accordion  and the bass buttons of the accordion are wired for midi which is connected to a bass synth. The track available straight after session is mix of all three things but, some time after the session, three separate files arrive for voice, accordion and bass. At least they are supposed to, but my JK setup is currently refusing to upload or download any tracks!!

Ah, I see. It may be  true  that you get everyone else's tracks mixed. But remember: when  they save the track, they each get their own tracks separately. If you want to mix them, have each person send the indidual tracks to whomoever is doing the mixing...

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA
(12-06-2020, 04:38 AM)cah329a Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 10:53 PM)lconway Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 07:38 PM)cah329a Wrote: Actually, you don't have to wait for uploads: the files are stored on your own hard drive immediately after you close a recording. Search for a folder called "JamKazam" (on my Mac it's in the Music folder). It will be full of cryptically-named folders each of which contains a discrete recording. I know what they are by date and time, and after the session, I'll move what I need to the drive I really want it on and give each track a comprehensible name.

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA USA

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA

Ah, I see. It may be  true  that you get everyone else's tracks mixed. But remember: when  they save the track, they each get their own tracks separately. If you want to mix them, have each person send the indidual tracks to whomoever is doing the mixing...

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA
Cindy, the system is supposed to do that automatically (with separated tracks for everyone) in the background AS LONG AS EVERYONE LEAVES JK RUNNING after the session. We did not know that until recently, and even now I have several "final track mixes" not completed. I need to ask support about these.

Larry
Larry
Bassman9952@gmail.com
With my band, we usually leave JK running for 24 to 48 hours after our sessions because the upload/download system has to make multiple attempts before it succeeds. In my case, though, even after this time, the file manager is still failing to upload or download anything.