• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
latency suddenly went from 5 to 7.5
I've been using jamkazam on Windows 10 with my focusrite 2i2 with internal latency of 5ms, which has been great.

I didn't use it for a while, and today my latency is 7.5.

In the mean time, last week, I installed an update to Audacity and did some recording using the Focusrite. I wonder if that had an impact.

My sample rate is 48000 and my buffer size is 96 and my frame size is 1ms. I've tried resetting the buffer size to 48, and jamkazam keeps resetting it to 96 no matter what I do. I can't remember what my buffer size was before, but I *think* it was 48.

I really want to get my latency back to 5! Can anyone help?

Thanks.
To clarify, when I change the buffer size to 48, it takes, but as soon as I resync, it goes back to 96.
(09-12-2020, 06:32 AM)maxinegerb Wrote: To clarify, when I change the buffer size to 48, it takes, but as soon as I resync, it goes back to 96.
>>>
So, when you do that, before the resync, does your device latency indeed go back down to the 5ms you had before?
(just to determine if this is the issue)

Do you start Focusrite Control before you open Jamkazam? (is the 2i2 set to 48k in FC?)
Which FC/asio driver are you using?
Thanks, Dmitri. I appreciate your attention on this.
No, the latency doesn't change when I set the buffer size to 48, and when I resync, the buffer size gets reset to 96.

I sometimes open FC before JK. The 2i2 is set to 48k in FC.

Although FC doesn't have the buffer size setting, based on your message, I did open the Focusrite ASIO panel and set the buffer size to 48 before starting JK. In that case, as soon as I started the solo session, the buffer size got reset to 96.

I downloaded the latest FR software yesterday, un-installed and re-installed it.

When I open the FR ASIO panel, I see this info:
Device: Scarlett 2i2 (3rd gen)
Versions: Firmware: 1605 Driver: 4.65.5
The FC version is 3.6.0.1822

Let me know if you have any more questions or ideas about this.

I wonder about re-installing JK. Is there anything I should try before that?
>>>
The earlier (older) driver seems to help several 2i2 users to get stable lower latencies.
Also for the 2i2, 96k has been reported as a favorable setting.

Pls don't uninstall/reinstall JKZ for this issue.

Which frame size have you set in jamkazam?
(09-12-2020, 07:49 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>
The earlier (older) driver seems to help several 2i2 users to get stable lower latencies.

Interesting. How would I get an earlier FR ASIO driver? Is there a specific version number I would want? 

96k for sample rate? I just tried that, along with buffer 96, but when I started a solo session, JK set the sample rate back to 48k and left the buffer size at 96, so the same as before. 

I've been using frame size 1ms all along. I tried setting it back to 2 or 2.5, which made the latency higher.

I should add that another variable is that Windows has frequent OS updates, and there was one this past week.
(09-12-2020, 08:00 PM)maxinegerb Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 07:49 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote: >>>

Interesting. How would I get an earlier FR ASIO driver? Is there a specific version number I would want? 

96k for sample rate? I just tried that, along with buffer 96, but when I started a solo session, JK set the sample rate back to 48k and left the buffer size at 96, so the same as before. 

I've been using frame size 1ms all along. I tried setting it back to 2 or 2.5, which made the latency higher.

I should add that another variable is that Windows has frequent OS updates, and there was one this past week.

>>>
Yes 96k in FC & 48k in jamkazam. (JKZ operates at 48k internally)

The 'older' FR asio driver is mentioned in several FR & 2i2 threads here on the forum. I think it's the 4.64 (...)

BTW - not being able to make an alternative buffer size 'stick' is a know thing. I'm not sure if that is purposely so.
I'm not sure what you mean by "96k in FC & 48k in jamkazam". JK changes the FR sample rate to 48.
Why did you suggest that I should NOT re-install JK?
(09-12-2020, 08:28 PM)maxinegerb Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by "96k in FC & 48k in jamkazam". JK changes the FR sample rate to 48.
>>>
You set your hadware - the 2i2 - to 96k in the FC (Focusrite Control) software.
JKZ should normally default to 48k which is fine.

Reinstalling a program/app does not very often resolve technical issues that are related to external devices. (unless the software is the actual device driver or hardware control program)
(09-12-2020, 08:35 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 08:28 PM)maxinegerb Wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by "96k in FC & 48k in jamkazam". JK changes the FR sample rate to 48.
>>>
You set your hadware - the 2i2 - to 96k in the FC (Focusrite Control) software.
JKZ should normally default to 48k which is fine.

Reinstalling a program/app does not very often resolve technical issues that are related to external devices. (unless the software is the actual device driver or hardware control program)

Thanks. JK changes the Focusrite hardware sample rate to 48k, so if I go back to Focusrite Control, it's back to 48.

And nothing I've done gets the latency back down to 5.