• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
port forwarding and optimizing
I am new to the concept of port forwarding.  

I grasp the concept of port forwarding as a set of ports dedicated to Jam Kazam and configuring these within my router, there are a few videos on youtube on how to do this.

My question is does port forwarding improve the overall latency and response?  Does port forwarding cut any millseconds off  travel time, and also --does it reduce any jitter?

Right now I am not using port forwarding -- I'll try anything to cut more milliseconds off.

I am in the city of Denver.  Hopefully we can unlock the local latency key for our local players.  Any advice at all to optimize travel / network time is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Evan Sitchler
PF dedicates a specific range of ports for a device or software service in your LOCAL network.

Others will chime in. But port forwarding can improve your local JK network performance, vs internet performance. If your home network has several devices accessing the internet, port forwarding may be a good idea. My concept of port forwarding is equivalent to a large house with a lot of activity going on in every room. PF is that shortcut for someone/something coming through the front door and taking the less obstructed path to get to the designated room. Otherwise there can be obstacles along the way causing local latency/disruption before getting to the destination room. Hence network hiccups. Routers in general are great for handling the traffic, however. Some use the window=port analogy

I have 5 devices on my local network. I turn all of them OFF, except for the pc running my JK session. And yes, I have PF enabled but since I have everything off,  one could argue I don't need PF if everything else is off. True, but sometimes I forget to turn other machines off. I just try and give my JK session as much local network as possible.

Keep in mind there is the firewall (hardware and software), and IP sniffers that will also potentially obstruct JK traffic even if you have PF enabled.
(07-27-2020, 06:37 PM)ivarevan@yahoo.com Wrote: I am new to the concept of port forwarding.  

I grasp the concept of port forwarding as a set of ports dedicated to Jam Kazam and configuring these within my router, there are a few videos on youtube on how to do this.

My question is does port forwarding improve the overall latency and response?  Does port forwarding cut any millseconds off  travel time, and also --does it reduce any jitter?

Right now I am not using port forwarding -- I'll try anything to cut more milliseconds off.

I am in the city of Denver.  Hopefully we can unlock the local latency key for our local players.  Any advice at all to optimize travel / network time is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Evan Sitchler

GDJ states it correctly. If your JamKazam client is the ONLY user in your local network using your connection to the outside, port forwarding will make no difference. If your local network has lots of users (your family) using your connection to the outside, port forwarding will help a lot more, especially in reducing jitter your fellow JamKazam partners hear from you.