• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to properly exit JamKazam program? - SOLVED re 'JamKazam quit unexpectely'
Hi - I have been using JamKazam very successfully with my 2012 MacBookPro and a USB Yeti mic.  (Mac OS 10.11.6  El Capitan)
I have tried shutting down the program every way possible, but every time I open the program again, I get the message
"JamKazam quit unexpectedly"  - Ignore - Report - Reopen.
It always reopens fine.

But - I'm worried that I am cra$ng the program every time I exit.

What is the "polite" way to exit without triggering a crash report ?

Jim
SOLVED - the above problem is triggered by "double clicking" on the JamKazam icon on the Mac's Dock. With a single click (and waiting- be patient) it opens fine with no error message - details below:
If I open any program by going into Finder - Applications - a single click will highlight the program (to allow a copy, delete, etc) and a double click will open the program
And JamKazam works perfectly if I open it by double clicking the JamKazam.app in the Applications folder.
*** BUT - I had previously placed the JamKazam icon in my Dock to allow easy access
In the Dock, when the icon is double clicked - this is when the error message “JamKazam quit unexpectedly” comes up

If I open JamKazam from the Dock icon with a SINGLE click - then it works - PERFECTLY !
Double click - gives the error

This is consistent - every time - on both my MacBookPro lap top (El Capitan 10.11.6) and the MacMini desktop (OSX 10.13.8)
So - cause of problem identified.

Of interest is that all the other program icons in the Dock will open normally with either a single or double click - only JamKazam has an issue with the double click
Hopefully this will help identify where the issue lies - it has been reported to the developers and they have it on their known bug list.
I am sure I’m not the only Mac user who has the habit of double clicking the dock icons.. . . .
(05-18-2020, 04:57 PM)JiminSalmonArm Wrote: SOLVED - the above problem is triggered by "double clicking" on the JamKazam icon on the Mac's Dock.  With a single click (and waiting- be patient) it opens fine with no error message - details below:
If I open any program by going into Finder - Applications  -  a single click will highlight the program (to allow a copy, delete, etc)  and a double click will open the program
And JamKazam works perfectly if I open it by double clicking the JamKazam.app in the Applications folder.
*** BUT - I had previously placed the JamKazam icon in my Dock to allow easy access
In the Dock, when the icon is double clicked - this is when the error message “JamKazam quit unexpectedly”  comes up

If I open JamKazam from the Dock icon with a SINGLE click - then it works - PERFECTLY !
Double click - gives the error

This is consistent - every time - on both my MacBookPro lap top  (El Capitan 10.11.6) and the MacMini desktop (OSX 10.13.8)
So - cause of problem identified.

Of interest is that all the other program icons in the Dock will open normally with either a single or double click - only JamKazam has an issue with the double click
Hopefully this will help identify where the issue lies - it has been reported to the developers and they have it on their known bug list.
I am sure I’m not the only Mac user who has the habit of double clicking the dock icons.. . . .
>>>
OSX dock is 'single click' on everything. Always.
Hi Dimitri - thanks, that is good to know. 
All the other programs in my Dock open fine with a double click - GarageBand, OpenOffice, Microsoft Remote Desktop, Musescore, Audacity, Zoom.   Only JamKazam created an issue when opened with a double click.  
I made the post in case others like me were getting into troubles with the double click.

Thanks for all the helpful comments you make on this forum

Jim
Thanks Jim, I had that same issue.  I use Mac and Windows, and both platforms are inconsistent in their use of single versus double click, and in some cases the user can alter the default behavior/expectation.  Like you, I've never seen an error message as a result.  Apparently JK only allows one instance instance of itself running at a time, which makes sense.  So when a second instance is launched (even while first is still loading), it terminates the 2nd instance.  IMO, it should do that silently, gracefully, instead of throwing an unnecessary error message. 

(Developers: it's very easy to detect a second instance and simply terminate it.  Just saying.)
I'm on Sierra and having a different experience. From the Dock, single click opens the app. But clicking multiple times i see the app attempt to load but does not. Then, single click again opens it, but there is no terminate or unexpectedly quit message from the previous attempts. There are no crash audits in the Console.

Glad you have this figured out, and thanks for sharing it.