• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone using the Steinberg UR22C?
Has anyone tried the Steinberg UR22C audio interface on Jamkazam? I'm attracted to it because it connects to your computer via USB 3. Most popular interfaces in this venue use USB 2. Also, I'm not sure it matters, but if you are using the UR22C are you using it with a Windows or Mac computer? I'm in the market for a new audio interface to see if I can improve my connection on Jamkazam. I have a high-end late model Mac and a fast internet connection but my latency runs between 10 and 15 ms. I host scheduled jams and (though not confirmed) I've heard the connection of the host has a disproportionate effect on overall latency in a session. I'd love to hear from any UR22C users on here.
been struggling to get my Zoom B2.1u to work with low enough latency (and there in only one instrument input, no mic - and using chat mic invokes high latency) so took the plunge and ordered the Steinberg UR22C - like you I liked the USB3 speed. Should arrive next weekend so will report back how it goes.
USB3 will likely give no improvement in speed or whatever.

I have wrote about that elsewhere in the forum.

But there can of course be other good reasons to use USB3

"the connection of the host has a disproportionate effect on overall latency in a session"!?

What host?

You maybe mean yourself!? As organizer of the scheduled session.

But it dont matter who organize/start a session.

Everyone is "equal" in a session. No difference at all!
(04-19-2020, 01:33 PM)Colin.Bryant Wrote: been struggling to get my Zoom B2.1u to work with low enough latency (and there in only one instrument input, no mic - and using chat mic invokes high latency) so took the plunge and ordered the Steinberg UR22C - like you I liked the USB3 speed. Should arrive next weekend so will report back how it goes.
Seems like a good product but it's hard to know how it will perform until it's tested on Jamkazam. Please let us know. Thanks.

(04-19-2020, 03:12 PM)Hans Peter Augustesen Wrote: USB3 will likely give no improvement in speed or whatever.

I have wrote about that elsewhere in the forum.

But there can of course be other good reasons to use USB3

"the connection of the host has a disproportionate effect on overall latency in a session"!?

What host?

You maybe mean yourself!? As organizer of the scheduled session.

But it dont matter who organize/start a session.

Everyone is "equal" in a session. No difference at all!
If you're correct about USB 3 not improving the speed or latency then there's something fundamental about the technology I don't understand since the transfer rate of USB 3 is 10 times faster than USB 2. Regarding being a host/organizer of a session, if it's true a low connection speed of one person in a session can increase the perceived latency for everyone (which seems to be the consensus) then by always being in the session I would be slowing it down for everyone who joined. My use of disproportionate may have been a poor choice of words. Thanks for the info though.
Just installed my new Steinberg UR22C (USB3.0) and seems fine on a solo session - testing with band this afternoon.
Need to read the instructions and download driver and tools before installing. Initial settings with buffer rate at 512 samples give high latency and I/O delay but reduce it down to say 32 or 48 and it's all green.
Need to have mic on input 1 and bass on input 2. Phantom power switched on, HI-Z button for bass input2 'on' (pushed in).
Can only hear my mic and bass thru' headset when I'm in a session or recording - not during audio setup for some reason. Maybe because I have the input/DAW dial turned all the way to DAW as advised by JK.
Can be used on USB2.0 and it's fine so USB3.0 is probably overkill unless you need the higher quality for recording. With USB2.0, instructions say you need an external power source - a separate USB charger connection. Seems to work without, but power supply solely through the USB2.0 may drop out from time to time?
Will update after band session test.

Update - band session worked OK for me and my mate with an audio interface but two others using basic mics kept cra$ng out as soon as they joined the session. We all got the latest update when we connected for the session. My mate, with the AI, on a Mac had the initial JK window automatically close before the update installed, I closed the initial window manually before installing the update on my PC. The other two on PCs did not close the initial JK window before installing the update and the updater did not prompt them to or close it automatically. I'm guessing that having JK running during the update may have corrupted the new installation. they will try to uninstall, search for and manually remove any lurking JK files (as previously reported as a problem) and reinstall the new version. Will post this bit as a separate thread for responses.
What you're describing - only being able to hear yourself while in a session - is perfectly normal. JK doesn’t activate its audio engine unless you’re in a session or during the I/O test during your initial gear setup. They recommend you have your knob turned all the way to DAW so that you don’t accidentally have the computer audio muted (and therefore the JK session muted) and only hear yourself in the direct monitor.
(04-18-2020, 12:20 AM)lscossar Wrote: Has anyone tried the Steinberg UR22C audio interface on Jamkazam? I'm attracted to it because it connects to your computer via USB 3. Most popular interfaces in this venue use USB 2. Also, I'm not sure it matters, but if you are using the UR22C are you using it with a Windows or Mac computer? I'm in the market for a new audio interface to see if I can improve my connection on Jamkazam. I have a high-end late model Mac and a fast internet connection but my latency runs between 10 and 15 ms. I host scheduled jams and (though not confirmed) I've heard the connection of the host has a disproportionate effect on overall latency in a session. I'd love to hear from any UR22C users on here.

Hi, I just purchased a Steinberg Ur22-C audio interface. It worked nearly out of the box. My latency is by 5 ms at Heidelberg, Germany. It works very well. Before I was trying to get a io|2 audio interface by Alesi going. It took me a lot of time was a nightmare. Jakob
Looking allways for chambermusic sessions...........
(04-26-2020, 03:03 PM)marhdeth Wrote: What you're describing - only being able to hear yourself while in a session - is perfectly normal. JK doesn’t activate its audio engine unless you’re in a session or during the I/O test during your initial gear setup. They recommend you have your knob turned all the way to DAW so that you don’t accidentally have the computer audio muted (and therefore the JK session muted) and only hear yourself in the direct monitor.
That doesn't seem to describe the problems I am having with the UR22C:
  • On my UR22C if the MIX knob is at 100% DAW it get not sound to my headphone. 
  • If I move slightly towards INPUT then everyone else in the session gets a large amount of echo.  
  • If I move MIX completely to INPUT the echo goes away for everyone else, they can hear me, but I can't hear me.
Perhaps there's some setting in JamKazam itself that I'm missing?