• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac OS network behavior compared to Windows ... VPN ...
hi all,
I'll try to explain what I discovered ... it's quite "network technical" ...

The jamkazam app works differently on a Windows system compared to a Mac OS system

in a Windows system, it listens on ALL network interfaces that are present on the operative system
in a MacOS system, it listens only on one of them

for me this is technical issue ...

I'm trying to simplify the way we can use the app as a band,
and we're connecting to one of my VPN server cause one of my "band-mate" has a ISP connection that is NOT public,
and even opening the ports on the routers would not help ...
(... it's quite common here in italy ... )

so I created a VPN connection for US to the same server ...
user A use a windows system
user B use a windows system
user C (me) use a mac os system
the result:
- A can send and receive audio from B, and receive ONLY audio from C
- B can send and receive audio from A, and receive ONLY audio from C
- C can ONLY send audio, but it can't receive anything

checking the differences between Mac and Windows,
I discovered that on windows, the JamKazam app can "bind" to ALL network interface, opening an listening to the right UDP ports on all of them (just use the "netstat -an" commando on CMD or PowerShell window)
On the Mac side instead, there seems to be NO way to make it listen correctly to the VPN tunnel interface ...
UDP ports are open ONLY on the physical interface, and NOT also on the "virtual tunnel" interface ...

I know it's a quite technical request, but I think there's something to do in the APP on the Mac side ...

more-over, from a "service" perspective, using a VPN can "simplify" for everybody the use the application itself, without the need of opening anything on the "user" side ...
in other works ... jamkazam could think about offering a VPN service to his members to simplify the app usage ...

please let me know what you think

thanks in advace

chheers

Messages In This Thread
Mac OS network behavior compared to Windows ... VPN ... - by sdallosto - 04-03-2020, 02:05 PM