• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electronic Drums
I have a KAT KT 3 and I just started using this program with a friend and I was wondering what is the best way to set up the sound for my kit,would I use less volume from the kit and more from the program itself?
(12-12-2021, 03:03 PM)drummerman68 Wrote: I have a KAT KT 3 and I just started using this program with a friend and I was wondering what is the best way to set up the sound for my kit,would I use less volume from the kit and more from the program itself?
you will need to use zero volume from the kit and 100% from the Jamkazam application. Otherwise, you will hear yourself playing with an echo, and everyone else in your session will seem to be "late" against the beat.
(12-12-2021, 03:03 PM)drummerman68 Wrote: I have a KAT KT 3 and I just started using this program with a friend and I was wondering what is the best way to set up the sound for my kit,would I use less volume from the kit and more from the program itself?

Here is my setup for Roland TD-17 - using 2 (1/4") TRS cables, I plug the TD-17 (L & R) into a 4 channel mixer input. The mixer is then connected via Control Room outputs (L&R) into a Behringer UMC204HD (using inputs 1&2) which is then in turn, plugged into a Windows 10 PC using USB.

The levels (or gains) on each are as follows:

1) on the TD-17 module, "Volume" is set to 90-95% output.  This is not volume, it is "signal" or gain going to the mixer

2) on mixer, the drum input channel at +0.25db past  0.0 (like 2 o'clock if looking down on it). The Control Room output is about the same: +0.25db past centre. This delivers plenty of signal/gain out to the Behringer device (and my stereo via the master outputs when not in session)

3) on the Behringer, the input Gains for both 1&2 channels are set to about 50% (12 noon). 

With this setup, and headphones connected to the Behringer, I can have the headphone level at about 50-60% and have decent, loud sound from the drums while in session on JK. And using a direct monitoring mix, I need very little signal "direct" to blast out the sound via headphones or physical speakers connected to the Behringer.

Why a mixer you may ask? I also have a microphone and an electronic guitar plugged into the same mixer. This allows me to mix all 3 inputs on the mixer before going to my PC, complete with EQ.....
does anyone use midi setup instead of audio connections, there is an option in the audio setup, but I can't get it to work, I'm using Roland e drums, and would rather use midi than TRS audio connect to my interface
(01-20-2022, 10:25 PM)Dan Miller Wrote: does anyone use midi setup instead of audio connections, there is an option in the audio setup, but I can't get it to work, I'm using Roland e drums, and would rather use midi than TRS audio connect to my interface

>>>
Why would you rather connect through MIDI?
What would you be triggering?
> Tamacti Jun <
I have tried using MIDI tracks in Jamkazam - when it works, it works fine, but most of the time I either "lose" the track in a session (it just disappears), or I get too much latency back to my VST synth, so I decided to keep it all in the audio domain.

Latency, for a drummer, is a terrible thing.

You will be much better off using the audio TRS connection. Trust me - I'm an old guy and I've been using MIDI since 1985 ;-}
(01-21-2022, 01:17 AM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 10:25 PM)Dan Miller Wrote: does anyone use midi setup instead of audio connections, there is an option in the audio setup, but I can't get it to work, I'm using Roland e drums, and would rather use midi than TRS audio connect to my interface

>>>
Why would you rather connect through MIDI?
What would you be triggering?
I would be using easy drummer plug-in, JamKazam gives you the option in setup with midi , I'm just wondering if it is used by anyone,  I'm still trying to figure out this whole setup with Jamkazam

(01-21-2022, 03:01 AM)Zlartibartfast Wrote: I have tried using MIDI tracks in Jamkazam - when it works, it works fine, but most of the time I either "lose" the track in a session (it just disappears), or I get too much latency back to my VST synth, so I decided to keep it all in the audio domain.

Latency, for a drummer, is a terrible thing.

You will be much better off using the audio TRS connection. Trust me - I'm an old guy and I've been using MIDI since 1985 ;-}
Ok thanks, you can't be as old as me
"I would be using easy drummer plug-in, JamKazam gives you the option in setup with midi , I'm just wondering if it is used by anyone, I'm still trying to figure out this whole setup with Jamkazam"

>>>
Okay, Yeh, that should work. There's more drummers on JKz that trigger a plugin.
Is your EZ-D plugin 32bit?
> Tamacti Jun <
What would cause my Latency to be over 2000?
(04-07-2022, 06:10 AM)drummerman68 Wrote: What would cause my Latency to be over 2000?
Latency of 2000 milliseconds? that's 2 seconds - a huge amount.

The only times I ever encountered something like that were either with software that was too demanding on my CPU, or there was a MIDI loop that was double triggering my synthesizer.

If you have a MIDI controller (such as keyboard or drumkit) going straight to a sound module using a 5pin DIN cable, you shouldn't have any noticeable latency there at all.

Playing keyboard or drum pad with my friends on Jamkazam, I typically see total latency of between 12 and 15 ms. I don't use any software synths nor setup any MIDI tracks, because I had too many issues with that.