• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is "High Performance Mode"
I have a desktop Windows 10 computer.  I am getting the message "The system is in balanced mode.  Switch to High Performance mode."  What is  "High Performance mode" and how do I make that switch?
It's your computer's power plan. Jamkazam wants you to select the high performance plan. I found on my laptop running windows 10 that the high performance plan wasn't listed. I had to choose create "custom plan", and then, high performance was available. I'm honestly not sure how critical this is. It basically keeps things from going to sleep, but if you're actively using your computer, I wouldn't expect things to be sleeping. You may want to toggle this power plan off and on depending upon whether you're actively using jamkazam. I *want* peripherals to sleep if I'm not using my laptop (or desktop for that matter).

Scott
(04-06-2020, 05:49 PM)Scott_Graham Wrote: It's your computer's power plan.  Jamkazam wants you to select the high performance plan.  I found on my laptop running windows 10 that the high performance plan wasn't listed.  I had to choose create "custom plan", and then, high performance was available.  I'm honestly not sure how critical this is.  It basically keeps things from going to sleep, but if you're actively using your computer, I wouldn't expect things to be sleeping.  You may want to toggle this power plan off and on depending upon whether you're actively using jamkazam.  I *want* peripherals to sleep if I'm not using my laptop (or desktop for that matter). 

Scott

Just in case this wasn't clear, do the following:

1) Bring up the Windows Control Panel

2)  Click on "Hardware and Sound"

3)  Click on "Power options"

4)  If you're lucky, you'll see a choice of "High Performance Plan".  Select it, and you're done.

5) If you are like my machine, it wasn't there - click on "Create custom plan".  Then, you'll see a choice for the high performance plan.  Select it and you're done.  However, you may want to remember how you did this, and what the prior plan was.  I would prefer NOT to have high performance plan selected for general use, particularly if you're running on a laptop and use it on battery power frequently.  That's just going to waste your battery if you're not running Jamkazam. 

Scott
I believe what happens is Windows Stops going into deep power saving states to save energy, meaning normally the processor, network interfaces. monitors, go into sleep mode, or hibernation mode. I decided to look into this again and found out that Windows 10 has an Ultimate performance mode after certain builds, which goes even further I guess at lowering micro latency's in the PC.   

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1076...-10-a.html
I think the advantage of the High Performance mode over the Balanced mode in regards to Jamkazam has to do with the "Processor power management" > "Minimum processor state" setting. In the High Performance mode it's set to 100%. That means your CPU always works at 100% (as long as the temperature stays below the throttling temperature).

Regarding the idea of switching back and forth between plans depending on whether you're using Jamkazam or not: You don't really need to do that because for every setting there is a "plugged in" setting and an "on battery" setting. Just leave the "plugged" settings at the High Performance values and set the "on battery" settings to more conservative values and always plug in when you're using Jamkazam. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.
(04-06-2020, 05:49 PM)Scott_Graham Wrote: It's your computer's power plan.  Jamkazam wants you to select the high performance plan.  I found on my laptop running windows 10 that the high performance plan wasn't listed.  I had to choose create "custom plan", and then, high performance was available.  I'm honestly not sure how critical this is.  It basically keeps things from going to sleep, but if you're actively using your computer, I wouldn't expect things to be sleeping.  You may want to toggle this power plan off and on depending upon whether you're actively using jamkazam.  I *want* peripherals to sleep if I'm not using my laptop (or desktop for that matter). 

Scott
It's very critical.... If you don't want to change the default power plan then just keep the laptop plugged into the charger while using JK.