• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiences in Latency with 5G
Hi Folks und warm hugs from good ole Southwestern Germany...
Me and my 3 friends are not able to build a reasonable Jam session because the base player has
"cable TV - internet" and no other native ADSL options.
His latency is above 60-70ms because of the specific problem "queuing delay und Media Acquisition Delay".
Has anyone experiences in using a 5G internet connection with a special 5G Router for working with jamkazam ?
I heard, that the ping is less than 5ms. Is it stable ? and does it work proper?
It would be an investement of hundreds of EUROs and so it would be nice to know before signing a
2 year contract :-) Thanks for your help !
(01-19-2021, 11:14 AM)BlackForrestCherryPie Wrote: Hi Folks und warm hugs from good ole Southwestern Germany...
Me and my 3 friends are not able to build a reasonable Jam session because the base player has
His latency is above 60-70ms because of the specific problem "queuing delay und Media Acquisition Delay".
Has anyone experiences in using a 5G internet connection with a special 5G Router for working with jamkazam ?
I heard, that the ping is less than 5ms. Is it stable ? and does it work proper?
It would be an investement of hundreds of EUROs  and so it would be nice to know before signing a

>>>
Don't. Just don't.
Same issues as with WiFi. The packet handling will give too much jitter resulting in latency.

I myself currently use 'Cable' also and achieve latencies of way under 20ms. With some peers around 10ms.
I use a separate modem/router and set top box for TV.

There is fairly good info to be found on the interwebs about getting low(er) latency in/with DOCSIS technology/networks.
Also having a chat with his ISP could be of help. Just explain what you're trying to do.

There are people claiming 'great results' over 5G but when asked for numbers/recordings ('proof') fall short. I do hope they chime in here.
(01-19-2021, 12:54 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 11:14 AM)BlackForrestCherryPie Wrote: Hi Folks und warm hugs from good ole Southwestern Germany...
It would be an investement of hundreds of EUROs  and so it would be nice to know before signing a

>>>
Don't. Just don't.
Same issues as with WiFi. The packet handling will give too much jitter resulting in latency.

I myself currently use 'Cable' also and achieve latencies of way under 20ms. With some peers around 10ms.
I use a separate modem/router and set top box for TV.

There is fairly good info to be found on the interwebs about getting low(er) latency in/with DOCSIS technology/networks.
Also having a chat with his ISP could be of help. Just explain what you're trying to do.

There are people claiming 'great results' over 5G but when asked for numbers/recordings ('proof') fall short. I do hope they chime in here.
The claim for 5G is for <10 msecs vs 40-50 msecs for 4G. I'm guessing this is for the mmWave short distance version with massive MIMO (>28 GhZ). If I had the opportunity like you do, I'd ask your ISP for their service guarantee (if any).