• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiences in Latency with 5G
Hi Folks und warm hugs from good ole Southwestern Germany...
Me and my 3 friends are not able to build a reasonable Jam session because the base player has
"cable TV - internet" and no other native ADSL options.
His latency is above 60-70ms because of the specific problem "queuing delay und Media Acquisition Delay".
Has anyone experiences in using a 5G internet connection with a special 5G Router for working with jamkazam ?
I heard, that the ping is less than 5ms. Is it stable ? and does it work proper?
It would be an investement of hundreds of EUROs and so it would be nice to know before signing a
2 year contract :-) Thanks for your help !
(01-19-2021, 11:14 AM)BlackForrestCherryPie Wrote: Hi Folks und warm hugs from good ole Southwestern Germany...
Me and my 3 friends are not able to build a reasonable Jam session because the base player has
His latency is above 60-70ms because of the specific problem "queuing delay und Media Acquisition Delay".
Has anyone experiences in using a 5G internet connection with a special 5G Router for working with jamkazam ?
I heard, that the ping is less than 5ms. Is it stable ? and does it work proper?
It would be an investement of hundreds of EUROs  and so it would be nice to know before signing a

>>>
Don't. Just don't.
Same issues as with WiFi. The packet handling will give too much jitter resulting in latency.

I myself currently use 'Cable' also and achieve latencies of way under 20ms. With some peers around 10ms.
I use a separate modem/router and set top box for TV.

There is fairly good info to be found on the interwebs about getting low(er) latency in/with DOCSIS technology/networks.
Also having a chat with his ISP could be of help. Just explain what you're trying to do.

There are people claiming 'great results' over 5G but when asked for numbers/recordings ('proof') fall short. I do hope they chime in here.
(01-19-2021, 12:54 PM)Dimitri Muskens Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 11:14 AM)BlackForrestCherryPie Wrote: Hi Folks und warm hugs from good ole Southwestern Germany...
It would be an investement of hundreds of EUROs  and so it would be nice to know before signing a

>>>
Don't. Just don't.
Same issues as with WiFi. The packet handling will give too much jitter resulting in latency.

I myself currently use 'Cable' also and achieve latencies of way under 20ms. With some peers around 10ms.
I use a separate modem/router and set top box for TV.

There is fairly good info to be found on the interwebs about getting low(er) latency in/with DOCSIS technology/networks.
Also having a chat with his ISP could be of help. Just explain what you're trying to do.

There are people claiming 'great results' over 5G but when asked for numbers/recordings ('proof') fall short. I do hope they chime in here.
The claim for 5G is for <10 msecs vs 40-50 msecs for 4G. I'm guessing this is for the mmWave short distance version with massive MIMO (>28 GhZ). If I had the opportunity like you do, I'd ask your ISP for their service guarantee (if any).
Hello, Folks, wondering how things are going with connectivity all these years later.

I'm considering 5g home internet.  

I actually have pretty good internet with my cable provider, but it’s way overpriced.  Fiber isn’t available at my address.  The only other options are ATT 5G or Verizon 5G wireless.  That is, no wires come to my house.  But I assume that I still get a modem that I can plug an Ethernet cable into.  

Then I suppose Direct TV is an option. 

Will Jamkazam work with that?   
Thanks!