• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet latency problems
Thanks for the reply, Stuart.

I have tried changing the frame size to 1ms but the audio just breaks up. 2ms is the lowest I can get with the Behringer interface. I am not using ASIO drivers as it is an Apple MacBook, so just using the default Apple drivers, which are not as highly tuned as the ASIO drivers would be (though I'm not sure the UM2 interface has got any specific ASIO drivers, anyway). I am currently using a sample rate of 44.1kHz, which was chosen because that's what other band members are using--I think there should be a speed advantage in all using the same sample rate. Maybe we could improve the latency a little by all using a higher rate. But I imagine that is going to shave off a few milliseconds, rather than cure the big problem of latency fluctuating from 20 to over 100ms.

Very good point about the ping tests. I had forgotten about ICMP.

I have tried Test.Net, as you suggest. This tells me my download speed is 16.5Mbit/s and upload 1.1Mbit/s. These are well below the quoted speeds of my ISP, so I think I am being short-changed by them at the moment. Will give them a call today.

We could give a click track a try. We have tried it in the past for other reasons and didn't get on very well with it, but I guess its a matter of practice and just getting used to it. Also we are using the lockdown to learn some new material, including building band arrangements of songs written by one of the band members, who is a prolific writer. Previously we found that the best results with a click track were when we knew the material very well and could really concentrate on the tightness of our performance. I think it would be least effective where we are trying out new ideas, improvising parts, trying different tempos, etc.

I am not sure my understanding of JamKazam is correct, but I am assuming that, if I set my outgoing bitrate to 256kbit/s, this is the rate for each audio channel, and that I have a separate audio channel for guitar and chat mic to each of the other participants in the session. (Is this correct?) If so, I would need an internet upstream bandwidth of 2 x 3 x 256 = 1536kbit/s. Add to this the overheads of TCP/IP and I am well over the capacity of my upstream connection. So, if this calculation is right, what I have seen as latency may just be the saturation of my internet connection. That would be consistent with what I have experienced: lowering my bitrate made an improvement and, in fact, the band's most successful practice was a day when, for reasons that remain a mystery, I could not get the instrument channel to work on JamKazam and ended up using the chat mic to pick up the guitar sound from from a combo amp, rather than having a dedicated guitar channel. So, on that occasion, I was only setting up a single mono channel to each of the band members.

Will report back after next session with the band.

Steve

Messages In This Thread
Internet latency problems - by SteveW - 05-23-2020, 12:19 PM
RE: Internet latency problems - by SteveW - 05-23-2020, 05:05 PM
RE: Internet latency problems - by StuartR - 05-24-2020, 05:11 PM
RE: Internet latency problems - by SteveW - 05-25-2020, 10:23 AM
RE: Internet latency problems - by StuartR - 05-25-2020, 02:18 PM
RE: Internet latency problems - by KennyO - 06-07-2020, 02:05 AM
RE: Internet latency problems - by Doug N. - 05-25-2020, 06:41 PM
RE: Internet latency problems - by SteveW - 05-26-2020, 09:04 AM
RE: Internet latency problems - by SteveW - 06-06-2020, 08:35 AM
RE: Internet latency problems - by SteveW - 06-06-2020, 01:04 PM