• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Troubleshooting: isolating latency issues
Hi,
     I have been trying to use JamKazam to play with one other musician but the latency issues make it virtually unworkable.  He is using an electronic drum kit with a plug in on a mac and I am using a guitar and Mic through a Presonus Audiobox iTwo on a windows laptop.  We are both using WIFi but very close to the router.  When we try and play we can almost manage to play in time on slower songs but even then there is a noticeable variation in tempo and the faster the tempo the more unworkable it becomes.  When we connect we both have a green light on the latency indicator on our own connection but the Other person is showing as red. I have followed all the advice regarding improving performance at my end (apart from using wired connection as that is not available) as has he.  So my question is how do we identify what part of the connection is causing the problem.  When I worked in IT there was an ITIL process called the Technical Observation Post which was a way of tracing a fault by observing each element to isolate the problem, but I don’t know enough about Jamkazam and latency to do this.  
Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Chris Avery
I know I'm not answering your question directly, but:  If your router does not have an ethernet port, I think you need a new one which does. If the problem is that your router is not in the same room as your computer, a 100 foot cable is available on Amazon. Also available are adapters, e.g., ethernet to USB, to connect a laptop with no ethernet port. -- Cyril Penn
(05-21-2020, 01:45 AM)Cyril Wrote: I know I'm not answering your question directly, but:  If your router does not have an ethernet port, I think you need a new one which does. If the problem is that your router is not in the same room as your computer, a 100 foot cable is available on Amazon. Also available are adapters, e.g., ethernet to USB, to connect a laptop with no ethernet port. -- Cyril Penn
Hi,
     Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately it isn’t practical to run a cable from the music room to the router which is in the lounge, without a lot of inconvenience to the rest of the household.  I might be able to do something temporarily to test it out. Currently we have a wireless repeater which improves the wireless signal upstairs.  Are we basically saying that wireless is just not workable ?  Do you know what the minimum upload speed should be ?

Chris
(05-21-2020, 09:15 AM)Cavery1962 Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 01:45 AM)Cyril Wrote: I know I'm not answering your question directly, but:  If your router does not have an ethernet port, I think you need a new one which does. If the problem is that your router is not in the same room as your computer, a 100 foot cable is available on Amazon. Also available are adapters, e.g., ethernet to USB, to connect a laptop with no ethernet port. -- Cyril Penn
Hi,
     Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately it isn’t practical to run a cable from the music room to the router which is in the lounge, without a lot of inconvenience to the rest of the household.  I might be able to do something temporarily to test it out. Currently we have a wireless repeater which improves the wireless signal upstairs.  Are we basically saying that wireless is just not workable ?  Do you know what the minimum upload speed should be ?

Chris
>>>
It's real simple and mentioned many times before and despite people thinking they know otherwise ...

Here it comes: WiFi is not gonna happen.
(05-20-2020, 08:04 PM)Cavery1962 Wrote: Hi,
     I have been trying to use JamKazam to play with one other musician but the latency issues make it virtually unworkable.  He is using an electronic drum kit with a plug in on a mac and I am using a guitar and Mic through a Presonus Audiobox iTwo on a windows laptop.  We are both using WIFi but very close to the router.  When we try and play we can almost manage to play in time on slower songs but even then there is a noticeable variation in tempo and the faster the tempo the more unworkable it becomes.  When we connect we both have a green light on the latency indicator on our own connection but the Other person is showing as red. I have followed all the advice regarding improving performance at my end (apart from using wired connection as that is not available) as has he.  So my question is how do we identify what part of the connection is causing the problem.  When I worked in IT there was an ITIL process called the Technical Observation Post which was a way of tracing a fault by observing each element to isolate the problem, but I don’t know enough about Jamkazam and latency to do this.  

Chris Avery

Hey Chris, we are assuming you and your "other" musician  are in different locations. But you have me wondering, are you saying you are actually under the same roof connecting through the same router? If so, you should check out my post called Jamkazam Over LAN. I'm still in the process of testing.

However, if you are in different locations, I agree and think your past IT experience is making you over think this a bit. The law of physics are at work regardless how close your pcs are to the router. And repeaters, not only repeat signal but noise. There is nothing like a wired connection and JK and all other online jamming apps stress the importance of it. Since you say wired is not possible, it makes me assume too you have old equipment? Which is odd because before WiFi.. Routers had CAT 5 ports. So maybe you want to explain your setup more clearly. I can tell you when i connect, i'm actually connecting directly to my modem. Bypassing the router entirely. I have a separate post about this too. I have to suspect whatever modem you are using it MUST have one Ethernet port you can use for jamming. After you are done, just plug your router back in. My experience has been better since I'm not dealing with router issues, port forwarding, or network traffic.
(05-22-2020, 12:44 AM)Grateful Dead Jams Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 08:04 PM)Cavery1962 Wrote: Hi,

Chris Avery

Hey Chris, we are assuming you and your "other" musician  are in different locations. But you have me wondering, are you saying you are actually under the same roof connecting through the same router? If so, you should check out my post called Jamkazam Over LAN. I'm still in the process of testing.

However, if you are in different locations, I agree and think your past IT experience is making you over think this a bit. The law of physics are at work regardless how close your pcs are to the router. And repeaters, not only repeat signal but noise. There is nothing like a wired connection and JK and all other online jamming apps stress the importance of it. Since you say wired is not possible, it makes me assume too you have old equipment? Which is odd because before WiFi.. Routers had CAT 5 ports. So maybe you want to explain your setup more clearly. I can tell you when i connect, i'm actually connecting directly to my modem. Bypassing the router entirely. I have a separate post about this too. I have to suspect whatever modem you are using it MUST have one Ethernet port you can use for jamming. After you are done, just plug your router back in. My experience has been better since I'm not dealing with router issues, port forwarding, or network traffic.
Hi, thanks for your response.  We are in two separate locations.  The point about not being able to connect to the router with a wired connection was simply one of practicality in that it would mean trailing a cable through the house.  However yesterday I tried hanging cable out an upstairs window And back in downstairs to a switch that had a spare port and Jamkazam showed really good latency readings so I will be testing that with my drummer today.
Glad to hear you found an alternative solution. I could see myself doing something like that!
(05-22-2020, 12:52 PM)Grateful Dead Jams Wrote: Glad to hear you found an alternative solution. I could see myself doing something like that!
Thanks. We tested it this afternoon and it was virtually perfect, bar a couple of minor blips, which is probably unavoidable, so I probably was overthinking (😊!) and it’s basically: wired good, wireless bad !

Thanks to all of you for your help

Chris
In JamKazam wireles is only recommended for one thing.

And that is - using JamTracks only.

At least: JamKazam has wrote that, some years ago - it is related to the use of portable routers and Iphone/IPad with JamTracks etc.

So it is wrong to say or conclude that wireless can not be used in JamKazam in any circumstances - it is in fact recommended for what I just have mentioned

If someting has changed the last couple of years in that regard - please enlight us all. But I dont think it can be done.

I have in fact wrote the same elsewhere in this forum.

And in the global chat in the app.

Several times ...

But apparently it doesn't bite

To be more precise:

When wireless is to be condemned in Jamkazam, a reservation must ALWAYS follow:

That when using JamTracks alone wireless can be used

It can't be that difficult to remember it and do it.

In any case: I've NEVER seen it mentioned anywhere.

Except in the now lost documents in JamKazams old HELP DESK.

And then in my own writings here, of course.

It is important enough to be mentioned - when ever there is a occasion

As a precaution - I've been accused of selfish behavior in this forum before:

I don't even use JamTracks.

I'm not at all interested in using JamTracks - for the moment.

But other people are interested - that must be enough
Hi Hans.

Well said, however i don't believe the original poster is referring to Jamtracks.

GDJ