• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
recommended low latency low cost audio interfaces
(04-15-2020, 01:16 PM)dport1226@att.net Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 12:13 AM)Toracat Wrote: I'm helping a friend figure out what audio interface to get to use with Jamkazam. Budget is always a concern. It seems like the interfaces I'm seeing recommended are legacy gear now (e.g., Steinberg CI1 and Behringer UMC202). Would you recommend any currently manufactured interfaces? I'm using a K-mix (https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/k-mix/) or my Zoom H6, both of which are in the "yellow" ranger in terms of latency. Thank you! 

BTW, if there's a list of recommended interfaces, I apologize for posting. I haven't found it yet.
I am using the Zoom H6 but the ASIO drivers won't work.  I am using the WDM with the same yellow range.  I was jamming with some friends last night but the audio had unacceptable delays for me.  I am looking to see if anuone has a solution other than buying a new audio interface.
I initially used a Zoom H6 on JamKazam.  I had only planned that as a temporary solution.  I keep my H6 with my road kit, so I didn't want to shuffle it back and forth.  I was able to get on to JamKazam.  I am not 100% certain, but I thought I did get ASIO to work.  My latency was borderline and I ended up with lots of noise (lost packets I assume).  It was good enough to test out a session with some friends, but not really satisfactory.  I was connected to a Surface 3, which is a 5-year-old computer that wasn't really a fast machine when it was new.  With a better computer, the H6 might work OK.

For a more permanent solution, I picked up a used Zoom U-44.  The reason I went that direction was because I already had  the 2-channel add-on module, so that was a cheap way to get a 4-channel interface.  It works, but not great.  I have two problems with it:

1. (Unrelated to JamKazam) I am getting a very strange grounding loop problem when using the 2-channel module.  I use that module to pipe in Band-in-a-box tracks from my studio computer.  When I connect the studio computer and the Ethernet, my headphone jack on the U-44 plays a local AM radio station really loud.  If I disconnect the studio computer, no radio.  But if I connect the studio computer and disconnect the Ethernet (which in in the same USB hub that connects to the U-44, no radio.  I only get the radio when BOTH connections are made.  I tried using ferrite filters on the Ethernet and that didn't help.  It makes no difference whether the U-44 is powered by batteries, by its own AC transformer or from the USB on the Surface.  I can set the levels low enough that it isn't a huge problem, but it is enough for me not to recommend the U-44 in this case.
  2. I still have marginal latency.  At various times I get a lot of noise (again, presumably packets dropouts).  If I try to use the video on JamKazan, the noise makes it almost impossible to hear anything.
So as much as I love Zoom products, I would not recommend any of them for using with JamKazam.  Again, one might have much better results if using a newer computer.

Messages In This Thread
RE: recommended low latency low cost audio interfaces - by CParmerlee - 05-24-2020, 01:24 AM