• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JamKazam and pfSense
I've just tried for the past hour to get JamKazam working with 2 bandmates.  They are working fine, one on Comcast, one on Verizon Fios.  I am on Fios but have a pfSense router.  I have tried with port forwarding enabled and without but I keep getting failures.  JamKazam says "The reported network configuration is: 'Independent Mapping, Independent Filter, random port, no hairpin'.

I know the IP address of my friend and I started a packet trace on my WAN interface.  I see a few packets coming in, but the ports are all ove rthe place.  Mine going out are on port 12000 as expected but those coming in are not.

Our chatting working just fine, I can connect to them and get into a room, I just get no audio.  They hear me just fine.

Any ideas?  Since another band member is on Verizon Fios like I am, I am assuming the problem is local, not with Verizon.  I'm not sure what else to try though.  Even if my port forwarding rules are correct, the ports are all over the place.

Any help would be appreciated, the tools in JamKazam itself are basically non-existent.
I registered just to post that I have similar setup and exactly the same issues. I have a pfsense router with Comcast as ISP. uPnP as well as port forwarding on ports specified in jam Kazam settings- enabled.
If I join a ham, I can only hear one particupant, other ones are greyed out and can’t hear me. Not sure if the person that I can hear can hear me.

I would mostly like some insight on what exactly jamkazam does so I can configure pfsense and hopefully share.
I just got mine going a few days ago.  I've tried some testing today which lead me to believe the requirements for configuration are changing.

So here's what I've done:

I'm on a Verizon FIOS network and I thought it was a good idea to bypass the Verizon router.  I now have a Ethernet cable between the pfSense router and the optical terminal.  All it took was running the wire and a service call to Verizon to enable the port.

The first thing to do is to check some firewall rules for your computer.  Start off with the standard stuff to make sure JamKazam has access to the 'net.  In my case I still had Windows Defender running in series with a Symantec firewall and wasn't aware of it.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to...36451.html

Here are the details on pfSense, at least what works for me as of this afternoon.  Specifying and opening up the port range of 12000 through 12010 didn't appear to be necessary, but port translation needs to be turned off.  So here's how to do it.

Set up 1:1 NAT
  • Firewall>NAT>Port Forward>1:1
  • Add a rule
  • Interface: WAN
  • External subnet IP: <IP address on your WAN>  In my case it's the Internet-facing IP address.  In your case, it might be a cable modem/router.
  • Internal IP:  Type: Single Host | Address/mask: <your computer's static IP address>
  • Destination: Any
  • Description: JamKazam
  • Save and apply changes
See if things work for you.  If not, I can write up something on UPnP or Port Forward rules to address any issues.
Here are 3 more ways to solve this issue with pfSense with my favorite getting the most attention:

https://forum.jamkazam.com/showthread.php?tid=1371