• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sample rate error & static
I keep getting an error message about mismatched sample rates, yet I have the "Match" setting selected. 
Also, when I play my instrument, all I hear is static, yet the other people in the session with me hear it fine. Are these two things connected? If so, how do I fix this?
(04-11-2020, 11:27 PM)Bodo814 Wrote: I keep getting an error message about mismatched sample rates, yet I have the "Match" setting selected. 
Also, when I play my instrument, all I hear is static, yet the other people in the session with me hear it fine. Are these two things connected? If so, how do I fix this?

Where did you find the setting to set the sample rate to "Match" ? I can't find it under any menu.  Sad
(04-12-2020, 05:18 AM)smaira Wrote:
(04-11-2020, 11:27 PM)Bodo814 Wrote: I keep getting an error message about mismatched sample rates, yet I have the "Match" setting selected. 

Where did you find the setting to set the sample rate to "Match" ? I can't find it under any menu.  Sad

It's in the "Add New Gear" section of "Audio Gear"
Sounds like the error message is on point.
Did you try to finetune the buffer and frame sizes in the manage menu?
On windows you can set the sampling rates for recording and playback devices. Control Panel - Sound - pick your device - Advanced - Set Default rate when running in Shared Mode. Then disable exclusive mode (so It runs in shared mode I suppose). Find the same rate for the same playback and recording device you use. Then select those in JamChat setup.

For popping sounds in session, either set up a longer frame size in JamChat setup (I have only had clean sound locally at 10ms or higher), or when in session, use the "Audio Booster" from the JamKazam menu and change the bit rate up and down (128, 256, 320) - this seems to force a reset and every time you do it, it has a chance of smoothing out the popping sounds. Resync does something similar but seems to have networking side effects.

At least that's been my experience.
(04-11-2020, 11:27 PM)Bodo814 Wrote: Also, when I play my instrument, all I hear is static, yet the other people in the session with me hear it fine. Are these two things connected? If so, how do I fix this?

On the second issue - I encountered the static pops on my playback device too. I haven't even got to the stage of playing with others in a Jamkazam session yet, but I needed to get the audio issue sorted as it was affecting the playback audio on the PC after any test with Jamkazam.

My gear is Windows 10 PC, Behringer Q802USB mixer (with Behringer x64 driver 2.8.40). I discovered the static only appears after I go to the ASIO settings (ASIO tab) and select "High Speed" from the System Performance dropdown. I suppose on different audio interface control panels, that might be called buffer size - I don't know. The Behringer ASIO USB control panel ranks the different levels performance as 

High speed
Rapid
Fast
Normal
Relaxed normal
Relaxed

Obviously my lowest latency is at High Speed (7.85ms), but perhaps I won't be able to use it because of the static pops. The Rapid performance measures at 12ms latency without the pops, so I guess it might have to do.

I haven't figured out how to launch the Behringer ASIO USB control panel outside of the Jamkazam application - any pointers there would be helpful in case I need to tweak the ASIO performance for other apps.

Thanks

Gerry
For me, on an older mac Mini running Catalina, the "Match" setting had no effect.
Instead, I used the Mac Finder to launch Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.
In the Audio MIDI Setup app, choose Window > Show Audio Devices to display a window where you can set the sample rate. 
For each Input and Output, use field named Format to specify the sample rate.
I think I have a similar problem. Matched my own sample rate with the Mac Audio Midi setup. (Scarlett 2i4) Everything is fine when I play solo. Getting the popping / clicking from my friend's feed; could be mis matched sample rates with them (as mentioned above?) which I will try to fix next time; but what I am mystified by is that the .ogg files are all fine, and the popping is only on .wav files (from the same session) so if anyone can illuminate me on what that might indicate I'd be very grateful.