• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with buffer size on UMC204HD (pops and clicks)
I purchased 3 UMC204HD's for my Wor$p team so we can do remote sessions with Jamkazam.  The issue I am having with my setup is I am getting pops and clicks all the time locally on the device when I listen to the mix from Jamkazam.  This is in a test session with no one else present.  I have the latest ASIO drivers installed and my connection is green.  I have tried my brand new macbook as well as a brand new core i5 Windows laptop.  The macbook has 11ms latency no matter what I do (guess its a macbook thing).  The Windows machine has occasional jitter but that doesn't coincide with the pops and clicks.  My CPU is flat at about 12% 
I am sending a submix to the UMC from my Allen & Heath mixer where I have keyboard, bass, and vocals.  I have monitored the input to the UMC and am 100% sure the audio is clean with no pops clicks etc.  Also I use this same setup to live stream on Sunday's with my mac using Ecamm live.  I monitor the output on the UMC and it sounds absolutely perfect.  So the issue has to be with Jamkazam and my hardware somewhere.  

To troubleshoot with JK and the UMC, I started with 96khz and the pops were real bad.  Backed it down to 44.1 and now it is better but they are still there.  
I'm pretty convinced it is a buffer issue so I tried going into the ASIO settings for the UMC driver and changing the buffer so something a little greater than 8 samples.  Every time I change the value it changes back to 8 as soon as Jamkazam takes over.  When I was messing around with deleting the audio gear and re-adding it, I caused a spike in IO and JK gave me the option of adjusting my buffer size.  I chose the middle setting and now it is set to 256.  I have been listening to audio routed to JK coming back through the UMC while I have been typing this post and it is perfect.  Problem is my latency and frame size went to crap.  Latency went from 3-4ms to 19ms.  Frame size is red at 5ms.  

My question, is it possible to set the buffer size somewhere to a value higher than 8 but lower than 256?  I have to think that I could get a happy medium by slightly increasing this value to 16, 32 etc.   If you have instructions for both mac and PC that would be great.  I would rather be using my macbook but its baseline latency is horrible I guess there is no way to make that better?  I'll settle for anything that works at this point.
Seth, I can get my hands on a UMC204HD this weekend. I don't have a MacBook available. I use Windows 10 with an X18 and OEM ASIO drivers. Latency is +3ms, I have seen the low latency with a XR18 and MacBook (over 10ms). Apple's Core Audio is the only driver available that I know of.
I have been struggling with JamKazam reverting to 8 samples upon resync. 
Please see my current posting in the other thread. 

Since installing UMC driver 4.38 instead of 4.59, I have been able to change buffer size to 16, 32, 64, 128, ....
And it seems to stay, until I resync. However I can change buffer size after audio gear setup, just not resync, and it keeps working.
I think that wasn't possible with UMC driver 4.59. 

You wrote:
===
When I was messing around with deleting the audio gear and re-adding it, I caused a spike in IO and JK gave me the option of adjusting my buffer size.  I chose the middle setting and now it is set to 256.
===

I have also deleted the audio gear and re-added it several times. However, that didn't give me the option of adjusting my buffer size, without JamKazam always resetting it to 8 samples. How did you do that?

And how come you were able to set it to 256, but apparently couldn't set it to 16, 32, 64, ...

Aren't you using the same UMC Control Panel for ASIO settings?

I would like us to have a session, with you sharing your screen, and then vice versa. 
You find me in JamKazam as Pete Savigny. 
(04-11-2020, 12:53 PM)Ahh I will try rolling back the driver to see if that give some flexibility.  The way i got it to default to 256 was to play with the buffer size on the driver while it was doing the i/o test.  That made it fail and then it exposed a link to modify some settings in JK.  Then it gave me 3 options.  The middle one was 256, I guess I should have tried the 1st option.  I just assumed it was 8 but maybe it was 64 or something.  I might try that again before I roll back the driver.  Pete Savigny Wrote: I have been struggling with JamKazam reverting to 8 samples upon resync. 
Please see my current posting in the other thread. 

Since installing UMC driver 4.38 instead of 4.59, I have been able to change buffer size to 16, 32, 64, 128, ....
And it seems to stay, until I resync. However I can change buffer size after audio gear setup, just not resync, and it keeps working.
I think that wasn't possible with UMC driver 4.59. 

You wrote:
===
When I was messing around with deleting the audio gear and re-adding it, I caused a spike in IO and JK gave me the option of adjusting my buffer size.  I chose the middle setting and now it is set to 256.
===

I have also deleted the audio gear and re-added it several times. However, that didn't give me the option of adjusting my buffer size, without JamKazam always resetting it to 8 samples. How did you do that?

And how come you were able to set it to 256, but apparently couldn't set it to 16, 32, 64, ...

Aren't you using the same UMC Control Panel for ASIO settings?

I would like us to have a session, with you sharing your screen, and then vice versa. 
You find me in JamKazam as Pete Savigny.