• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Band connect with one remote member
Hi I'm hoping someone can help us with configuring a mixing board (Zoom L-20) to best connect with one remote band member. (Me)
The band is in a studio 40 miles away and is mixed with a Zoom L-20. All members use headphones to hear the main mix. The Zoom is used as the interface to Jamkazam. 
It works well with one exception .... at my remote end I hear myself coming back with the main mix from the Zoom which of course causes an echo on just me heard by me at my end.
This of course makes perfect sense since I am part of the main mix at the board end.
What is needed I suppose is a sub mix minus me sent to me. The board operator says he sees only the individual inputs and the main mix out to choose from in the Jamkazam interface setup.
The Zoom L-20 has subs for monitors or headphones. Unfortunately these do not appear as a option during the set up.
Are we missing something? We're a bunch of oldies so could be.
Any help would be appreciated.
Rick
Hi Rick,

What audio interface are you using at your end? Do you have 'local monitoring' switched off?. (one preferably monitors DAW/playback, e.g. 'the session' only)

You might have a small delay (latency) that might (or might not) be dialed out to a minimum by tweaking some settings. Your brain will adapt fast enough to small delays to be able to play together.

There is (could be) more to it but let's start here^
> Tamacti Jun <
Hi Dimitri
Thanks for responding.
My interface is a Behringer UMC404HD. Rather than having a switch, it has a mix control that allows me to pan between the input and playback.
I keep it fully panned to the playback end. This allows me to hear the session with no direct input feed from me.
At the other end the interface is a Zoom L-20 mixing board located in a studio 40 miles away where the band jams.
The band members are all mixed directly into the the board using pedals/amp simulators etc. My feed from Jamkazam is also added to the main mix.
All band members rely on the main mix through the boards individual headphone/monitor outputs. There is only limited live sound in the room.
Since this main mix (which includes me) is what I am sent from the band end I hear myself coming back to me in the session mix.
We have recently come up with a fix that works . I was hoping to confirm this in person before posting but this is how I understand it:
The board operator copied the main mix settings with me included into the individual headphone/monitor sub output settings.
Then muted my input from the main mix of the boards main output which is the input chosen in JamKazam to send to me.
Since I'm no longer in the the main mix sent to me through Jamkazam I no longer hear myself coming back in the mix. Delay/echo gone!
We have about a 26ms delay (interface + internet) which Jamakazam reports as typical. Works well for us and everyone is amazed how good it
works.
When I do get to talk face to face with the board operator I'll confirm that my understanding is accurate so I don't mislead anyone.
Thanks again
Rick
(02-13-2024, 07:53 PM)Rick F Wrote: Hi Dimitri
Thanks for responding.
When I do get to talk face to face with the board operator I'll confirm that my understanding is accurate so I don't mislead anyone.
Thanks again
Rick

Hej! Rick,

So, your signal is taken out of the main mix which is bounced back to you. Next to that you have 'local monitoring' switched off. How would you hear your own contribution to the jam? (Unless you're playing an acoustic instrument that you hear 'live in the room'?.)

In your first post did you mean to write "echo" opposed to 'delay' (latency)

D./
> Tamacti Jun <
Hi again Dimitri,

I play electric guitar through an amp simulator into an input on my
UMC404HD interface. I also use a second channel for my vocal mic.
I use headphones plugged into my interface and no other output.
If I make a Jamzazam private session with only myself I can see my
2 tracks on the left and again in the session mix on the right.
I can hear myself with perhaps a few ms delay.
When I join the band session I again see my 2 tracks on the left and in
session mix on the right as well as the band as a single channel.
Again I can hear myself with perhaps a few ms of delay and the band
with some tolerable delay.
If I'm not in a session I cannot hear myself if I leave my MC404HDs
mix control panned to the playback side. I have to pan it to the input
side to hear myself. That indicates to me that I'm not direct monitoring
at my interface but through the Jamkazam session mix.
Despite the fact I've been a Jamkazam member for a few years this is my
first real attempt at using it so my understanding of how it works is very
limited. I'm just glad we got it working for now. Perhaps over time and
with the help of knowledgeable people like yourself we'll understand it better eventually.
Thanks again
Rick
(02-14-2024, 05:33 AM)Rick F Wrote: Hi again Dimitri,

I play electric guitar through an amp simulator into an input on my
UMC404HD interface. ...

... I'm just glad we got it working for now. Perhaps over time and
with the help of knowledgeable people like yourself we'll understand it better eventually.
Thanks again
Rick
>>>
Hey Rick,

Proper! Sounds like you have it all pretty well sussed out.
Do you have 'all green dots' on both sides?
Are you all running Windows/ASIO or MAC?
Depending on your and the studio's inet connection - being 'local' to eachother, you could possibly(?) improve on your latency.
> Tamacti Jun <
We are both running Windows and are using the latest ASIO drivers
for the UMC404HD and the L-20.
My interface latency is 4.1 ms and the L-20s latency is 9.7.
It may be possible to improve the L-20s latency and I plan on
checking the the driver settings (if there are any) when I visit the studio
in a few weeks. The board operator says he doesn't see any driver adjustments but I'll check it out.
Rick
Forgot about the lights you asked about Dimitri.
All are green for me with the occasional jitter turning one yellow or orange.
Overall it doesn't seem to cause much of a problem with the occasional click
or pop going largely unnoticed.
The band end has a TX light that's yellow most of time which makes the overall session
light yellow as well. The rate is just out bounds so it doesn't appear to impact the session.
Thanks
Rick