• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Timing With Drummer (yellow but need green)
Thank you most kindly for responding Dimitri, and I look forward to your thoughtful replies!

1. You say you can "never" get better than 'yellow'. Is 'never' always with the same peer? (your drummer), or with anyone/in any session? --- Using Private Session, it's always been yellow at my end and their end with the three separate people I have jammed with. Each of the three people have great gear and good knowledge to very good knowledge of computer setups. With Public Session, I have noticed that a few (very few in fact) of the participants have a green indicator. I have not joined any Public Sessions.

2. You can have all the gear in the world and a massive down & upload but just one little thing in the chain can ruin your experience. --- Yes I understand that gear is only part of the question, however none of three of us have ever been able to get green status.

3. Did you check (both) your signal(s)? Bandwidth is one thing but it also has to be 'clean' meaning (very) little noise/jitter. --- If you are asking if I have viewed the various JamKazam parameters in real time, then the answer is yes (as have my three other Private Session friends). As mentioned, it's always been yellow at my end, and it's always been yellow at their ends. Each of the three people and I have always had rather similar numbers, no matter what we do with upgrading gear or ISP speeds, although I for one cannot tell you for sure what would constitute really good numbers versus reasonably good numbers.

4. Cable internet (DOCSIS) is known to possibly have more jitter than e.g. #DSL or fiber. --- If true, it would seem there's not much that I can do about it and all three of the people I have had Private Sessions with suffer the same fate (no better than the yellow indicator). Or am I wrong here and is there a solution? Note that one of the three people I have had Private Sessions with simply played guitar and it was acceptable. The problem, as I have mentioned, arises most noticeably, when going for the timing precision required for playing with a live drummer. I may be able to switch to fibre (not sure about the cost and complexity because it is not terminated at my house) however at least some of the three people I have played with via Private Session do not have this option and must use a cable modem (at least that's my understanding as I am not an expert on these matters). In any case, since most people do not have fibre, me switching to fiber (if indeed I can) seems of questionable value, if I am only one of very few on fibre.

5. There are several sites/apps that will tell you what the latency & jitter on your connection is. --- I have tried the usual online speed tests, and some of them include latency, but none of the online tests I've used measured jitter (of course JamKazam does measure jitter, and as I have said, all four of us get pretty much the same numbers all the time, for all parameters and it's with live drumming that I notice the problems). The latency numbers seem fine at about 9ms to 12ms, however as discussed I do not know exactly what would be really good numbers for latency, except to say that using Private Session, with the three separate people, all our numbers have pretty much always been very similar.

5. If you'd want a 'live' tech help chat, you could visit 'Terry's Technical Help' session on Thursdays. Organized by Terry Moir (CAN), a volunteer/user on JamKazam. --- Is this a Public Session? By "CAN" do you mean he is Canadian? Does Terry manage to get a green indicator without any problems? Does Terry use a cable modem? Where is Terry located? I ask all this because if he lives in an area with better internet access (such as downtown Vancouver, British Columbia) and/or he uses fibre, then I am not sure how applicable his experiences would be to us three living in residential zones in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. None of us three live in a city center area such as downtown Vancouver, British Columbia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help! Timing With Drummer (yellow but need green) - by PicoDan - 02-07-2022, 07:42 PM