• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latency
What is the best way to lower latency?
(01-02-2022, 04:48 PM)drummerman68 Wrote: What is the best way to lower latency?

>>>
Hi drummer,
That depends on many(!) factors and circumstances.
A 'clean' broadband connection with ample upload is paramount.
Use of cabled in-house connections, a 'proper' audio interface/sound card, a pc/mac that can handle the load.
All of the above well configured and tuned. (for 'audio production')

There are tech sessions on JamKazam where you can get live tips/help to get a jump start.
> Tamacti Jun <
(01-02-2022, 04:48 PM)drummerman68 Wrote: What is the best way to lower latency?

Get the best internet service available to you. Look for fiber optic. It doesn't need to be Gig speed. If wireless internet is all that you have available, then you will not achieve true low-latency no matter what else you do.

Use a modern computer (2015 or later is good enough in most cases).

Use the fastest I/O port your computer has. Many people find that USB 2 is enough. I use a Mac with Thunderbolt 2; my friend has Windows with USB 2, and the latency between us is very low.

Try to jam with other "low-latency" players. It's a "weakest link" scenario in many jam sessions. If you have low latency, help your buddies get there too.

Get a Gold service plan.
I am using a new Mac desktop with Thunderbolt, Artesia a22XT and am hardwired to the internet. I still have latency when I have a private session at about 11.3. I don't really notice the latency, but I wondered if there is a way to get green on the latency. Maybe hardware other than Artesia?
(01-08-2022, 09:10 PM)TCGreen Wrote: I am using a new Mac desktop with Thunderbolt, Artesia a22XT and am hardwired to the internet. I still have latency when I have a private session at about 11.3. I don't really notice the latency, but I wondered if there is a way to get green on the latency. Maybe hardware other than Artesia?

>>>
There's no such thing as no latency, so you're not alone.
But 11.3ms on your AI seems high. Especially for Thunderbolt.
Did you 'fine tune' your JKz settings?
> Tamacti Jun <
The Artesia audio interface is a USB device - a Thunderbolt device should have latency around 3ms.
I've had to fall back on my older Firewire interface, on a 10 year-old Macbook Pro, and my self-latency is about 7ms.

My friends USB interface (Focusrite) has about 5ms latency.

I see that there is no Mac driver for the Artesia - this may be a problem. I have some audio interfaces that use Core Audio with no dedicated driver, and they all have too much latency to work with Jamkazam